6mm or 25-06??

Even tho’ you can only shoot one at a time, if I lived in the US with your freedom to acquire firearms at will, I’d definitely have both Fotis.
But I saw a 6.5x47Lapua mentioned & that truly is awesome on deer with the 129gn SST.

Guy started a trend that appears to be building steam. I hate to break a pattern, so I'd vote that you get both. That you can is sufficient justification.

35 Whelen":371tatvm said:
Song dog; your stacking em pretty deep there in Co, how large are those trucks your loading with
Coyotes? Would this one hold em all???

Just regular old F-150 beds......

I averaged 75ish coyotes a year for about a 8 year stretch in my 20s and early 30s. We hunted about 3 nights a week from November through about March.

Here’s an oldie but goodie... all these were courtesy of a 6mm Rem and a 55 NBT.

URtKND6.jpg

SD,
That is a good stack of em, and I bet if you don't have a lot of wind to buck that load would certainly do the trick, I used 75 gr Vmax out of my 243 and it worked darn good but if there is anything that works better on long distance songdog than a 90gr Biltzking launched out of a 25/06 at 3500fps that isn't on a belted case I would need to see it.
22/250 sending 50gr at 4000fps blows a mighty hole at 150....... but I sure had to follow up a lot of them that
We're not hit just right at 350.......
I have half dozen buddy's that swear by a 6mm in Alaska on wolves! So it's gotta be good cause they can be
tough, I flew Gary King Sr ( Anchorage Sporting Goods Store) beautiful wife Valerie out and she took a 444 B/C Caribou with one shot from her 6mm, that absolutely flattened him, I think the head is still in the store?

Go look at the numbers.... a 55 at 4100 drifts less than a 90/.25 at 300.... and only gives up 150 ft/lbs. For further than that... a 105 HPBT or Amax at 3000 whips that 90 grainer azz.

I shot a pile of coyotes with 90 grain Sierras.... they work very well on coyotes (on deer too)... but they don’t hold a candle to the point-and-shoot ability of the 6mm.

Songdog - I like that photo of the coyotes in the pickup bed.

I doubt that I've shot that many coyotes in my life!

Guy

Thanks Guy.... all those were from your neck of the woods actually.

From Moses Lake, South to Lowerr Crab Creek.... and East all the way to Sprague.

Fotis,
I love my 6mm with 55gr BTs for coyotes! It’s a cream puff to shoot and really puts the hurt on ‘em.

BT

Songdog, that’s one hell of a run on coyotes man! Nice work!

V/R,
Joe

Songdog":1ri7ylp2 said:

From Moses Lake, South to Lowerr Crab Creek.... and East all the way to Sprague.

Yup, and you didn't get 'em all.... There's LOTS of coyotes out there still. :grin:

Perhaps I should grab the rifle and go bust a few soon...

25-06 or 6mm Rem for 'yotes? Hmmm.... I'm afraid I'll have to take the 25-06, 'cause my son has the 6mm now and he's a lot quicker than me! :wink:

Guy

Bought a really nice Ruger #1B in 6mm Remington from a gentleman here on this forum. Always wanted a 6mm but hard to find a lefty so the Ruger was perfect. Shoots great with 95gr Partitions and several powders. Love the rifle for sitting in a tree stand looking for deer and hogs. This thread has reaffirmed my thoughts to never sell a rifle as long as I live. :grin:

Thomas

Guy Miner":2bn66x6k said:
Songdog":2bn66x6k said:

Yup, and you didn't get 'em all.... There's LOTS of coyotes out there still. :grin:

Perhaps I should grab the rifle and go bust a few soon...

25-06 or 6mm Rem for 'yotes? Hmmm.... I'm afraid I'll have to take the 25-06, 'cause my son has the 6mm now and he's a lot quicker than me! :wink:

Guy

I bet there’s a ton of them down in lower Crab Creek. It’s almost all in the Columbia NR now... which means you can hunt ducks and geese, you can even hunt deer in there with a shotgun I believe... but no shooting coyotes. So that’s like 50,000-100,000 acres of the primest coyote country I’ve ever seen.... all a sanctuary city now.

Those were some fun days....

Ya, I don't understand the prohibition on shooting coyotes.

But... it's the government. They're here to help! :grin:

Guy

I have several 25/06s but my No. 1 B is my favorite. The only 6mm I have is a 6mm Creedmoor in the Ruger Predator. They really built that rifle right, 7.7 twist 5R rifling, threaded muzzle. The only thing it needs is a Timney trigger. It is ridiculously accurate and shoots the 105 RDFs into the same hole all day long.

More confused than ever on this. The 6mm #1 did not work out so now 243 vs 25-06

Oh boy. As much as a 243 seems ho hum to me, and in no way, shape, or form compares to a 25-06, it still might be the better choice as a dedicated rock plinker and varmit gun. Tremendous accuracy is capable with a 243 in a good gun. Those 308 cases just have a knack for that.

FOTIS":120ihmxd said:
More confused than ever on this. The 6mm #1 did not work out so now 243 vs 25-06

Much depends on what the primary use would be Fotis.
I used a .243 for twenty years alongside four very good friends who did the same, for taking reds and three other species of deer plus feral goats and fox on our land.
Mostly the range was inside 200yds and the rifle/bullet combination was accurate enough for good shot placement.

Then after extensive tree felling and more slightly extended range requirement, I switched to a .25-06 and discovered its accuracy together with much faster kills.
My friends decided upon 6.5x47Lapua and 6.5x55 and all killed deer with much more authority than the .243.
After changing to the .257bullet, my .243 rarely came out of the safe, so eventually I sold it.

Back