6mm or 25-06??

Fotis, have you considered a 257 Roberts in a Ruger No. 1? You can push a 115 gr BT at 3100 fps which is getting into 25-06 territory. It will buck the wind and work just fine for coyotes, rocks, deer and antelope.

JD338

I know, the 25/06 works awful good for us! And the expansion of the Sierra Blitz King bullets was certainly "made for coyotes," combined with very high velocitys of the 25/06; it definitely gives spectacular results on them, one shot kills almost always, with very few run offs ever, even out to 450 yds. I am sure there are some other combos, from various bullets&calibers, that give good results as well :wink: And here are a few Maine Coyotes, that got to find out first hand, the bad news. :shock: IMG_2202.JPG

Fotis - you've a highly accurate 240 Wby do you not?

Why not just make use of that rifle? It's got the sort of ballistic performance you seem to be seeking.

To my mind, most of these 24 & 25 cal rifles are so similar in on-game performance... the 243, 6mm, 240 Wby, 257 Roberts, 25-06 Rem... I'd happily hunt with any of them.

Guy

You can not kill off the coyote population, we have shot 39 in the back yard since we built the house in 08 and they are still thick. Oregon tried to poison them out years ago and also had a $5 bounty when I was in high school in the early 60's. I think they have more pups if the population gets low.

Dang Songdog! I want to come shoot coyotes with you! ha As much as I like the 6mm Remington, I too felt the .243 was the way to go this round.
Fotis..you "absolutely" have a gap between the Swift and the 240W ( forget that you can load each up or down, that ain't the point! :)) So, I vote you get both! :)

Guy Miner":1i8bnyck said:
Ya, I don't understand the prohibition on shooting coyotes.

But... it's the government. They're here to help! :grin:

Guy

Don't worry about the "coyote sanctuary", eventually they will move into town and start eating "fi-fi" in some bodys back yard. Government will be there to help again. Got nothin' against a yote per se. He's just doin what he does... So am I..... bang flop. CL

cloverleaf":2wxr2z6l said:
Guy Miner":2wxr2z6l said:
Ya, I don't understand the prohibition on shooting coyotes.

But... it's the government. They're here to help! :grin:

Guy

Don't worry about the "coyote sanctuary", eventually they will move into town and start eating "fi-fi" in some bodys back yard. Government will be there to help again. Got nothin' against a yote per se. He's just doin what he does... So am I..... bang flop. CL

That area is a LOOOOOOONG way from town.... anybtown,

When we started shooting coyotes down there.... that was all you saw. Coyotes and rockchucks. After about 4 or 5 years of shooting 50+ a year out of there... you saw deer and chuckles and quail and jackrabbits.... it was amazing the amount of “game” in there once the coyotes were put in check. Now.... I bet it’s back to the way it was before. Ironically, it’s set-up mostly for migratory birds.... who’s nests get hammered by all the coyotes, skunks, possums and coons.... that you can’t shoot in there. So.... it actually becomes a detriment to the very critters their trying to help.... and a boon for all the stuff that most folks don’t want.

Fotis, a Ruger No. 1B w/ 26" barrel in .243 is a sweet gun, maybe not a typical WY truck gun, but it would work well for you.

I bought a SS/syn 243 Marlin XS7 in like new shape with a 3x9 scope for almost nothing at a neighborhood pawn shop. Box and manuals etc all included.

Attachments

• xs7_stainless_640.jpg
    xs7_stainless_640.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 548
  • wm_3932324.jpg
    wm_3932324.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 548
I was going to vote 243.
You can get Lapua brass for it and you'll thank yourself for that.

Those a darn nice little guns, bet you have some fun with that one! Friend has one and says it's now his favorite go too gun! Good score.

"That area is a LOOOOOOONG way from town.... anybtown," Yes....I knew that. just being a Smart @$$ I guess. That Marlin 243 looks perfect to me. CL

My daughter's 7mm-08 Marlin shoots great!

200 yard target 6 shots

Great shooting! Looks like potentially a new #1 sharpshooter in the family. :-> Seriously though, what a blessing to have the opportunity to share this experience with the family.
Congratulations to you, your daughter, and family.
Duane

WoW,
I do NOT want her shooting at me!
Quite honestly she could easily outshoot 90% of our clients!
E
You may want to consider nick naming her IMG_2222.JPG

She turning into quite the marksman/women I love seeing young people shooting And she shoots extremely well

Back