6mm Remington rifle, I need help Nosler people!

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
Although I really want to replace my .280 Remington, and I surely need to someday soon, I"ve just been itching for another 6mm Remington even though I have one already that I absolutely love. My rifle now is a Ruger #1B that is a fantastic, beautiful rifle that really shoots! Here are my thoughts so far without completely breaking the bank and staying in the under $1000.00 range for price or not going over for just the rifle by too awful much, maybe a couple hundred dollars or so.
Idea #1.Remington Model 700 CDL SF Limited Edition that is coming out in January in 6mm. I"ve owned and do own some Remington's, and they have been shooters. I am a Remington fan. The CDL is a really nice looking rifle EXCEPT they put this big-ass recoil pad on the back that is so large to me that it takes away from you looking at the stock and the rifle, and instead your eye focuses on the damn pad! :evil: It is a nice looking rifle, proportioned nicely, and it comes with a 24" barrel which the 6mm really deserves. Only down side might be that the Remington short action is just a smidge short in my opinion for the 6mm Remington. The standard 2.825 is about all you can get out of them which is the 'standard' loading length. In my son's Ruger MKII his E-tips are seated at 2.840 and in my Ruger #1B, the 100 gr. Partitions are at 2.860. An honest 3" magazine would not be too long and would provide plenty of space especially if someone was using some of the new 105 or heavier bullets for the long range stuff. Also, can I expect the Remington to shoot :?: I have heard some horror stories about Remington quality of late and I'm not sure if they are true of not. :?: If I decide to get the CDL, I will have it pillar and glass bedded. That's just something I do to my rifles for consistancy and hopefully to wring the most accuracy out of them. I think I can get one of these for about $840.00, or I can get a regular CDL blued in .243 and pull the barrel and have a new Shilen barrel put on and sell the new/old barrel that is taken off the rifle.

#2- I buy a Ruger Hawkeye Sporter in .243 with the Stainless barrel and laminate Hawkeye stock of slimmer proportions. I love the laminates for strength and beauty! I then have my smith pull the barrel and sell it and I replace it with a Shilen or other barrel in 6mm Remington in the standard Ruger contour so I don't have to mess with that portion, and the barrel will be 24" instead of the 22" standard barrel. It also will have a 1-9 twist. The gray/black laminate stock is attractive with the stainless although the nutmeg laminate by Boyds sure is PURTY, and I do like the Ruger Mauser style controlled round feed, three position safety, and their bullet proof scope mounting system. I feel that they do build a great rifle. I just checked my son's MKII and it has enough magazine length that my 2.860 seated Partitions just fit with enough room that they will feed nicely and will not hang up, so even though a little longer length in the magazine would be nice, but this would be quite workable. I also would have it pillar and glass bedded just as I had done to my son's rifle. Not sure on the price of the Sporter with the laminate stock but I think I could get one for about $680.00 or less. I could also try and find a used rifle in any of these areas that is in good shape and use that as the starting point and probably get it for a lot less.

#3-Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS in .243 and I have the barrel pulled and get a new barrel in 6mm Remington, 24", 1-9 twist, and standard contour. I would have my smith see that the action set in just perfectly and if it did not I would have him do a little magic with glass bedding and make sure it mated up perfectly. I've seen some of the aluminum bedding block stocks not have the best fit even though they claim to be perfect. If I could get a used Extreme SS that would be a plus because the synthetic stock should or would probably just look fine, and knicks or dings in the barrel are not a problem as it would be pulled and a new barrel would replace it. I like the Winchester actions, again Mauser, controlled round feed, three position safety, and a 3" magazine box on the short action rifles which is great. The Ruger has the better scope mounting system, but I could live with what is on the Remington or the Winchester as well. I don't want to go the 6mm AI route and want to stay with the standard 6mm Remington chambering. It is one great cartridge and I just cannot help myself in wanting one in a bolt action to go along with my single-shot! Is that bad :?: :oops: :shock: Help me out here.

Scopes: I cannot even believe I am thinking this route, but I am actually thinking of getting a VARIABLE to put on this rifle. I have not and do not own any! The only one I have is the one on my son's Ruger MKII and that is a Leupold 4.5x14-40mm with the B&C Reticle. It sure seems to be a sweet scope and sometimes that extra power is nice to be able to crank the scope up. I love the fixed 6x - 42mm Leupold and I could get that with custom dots set for the BC and fps of the bullet I would be shooting, and that would be sweet so I don't really know if I would miss the extra magnification or not. Okay guys I'm begging for some guidance here on my RADD disease. Let me have it with both barrels so to speak! :grin: :shock:

They all sound great to me!

Here's the deal - you buy all three and get them bedded & free-floated and all tuned up, then send the one you don't like to me... Okay? :grin:

I was told by my local smith that he prefered to build on Winchester actions because they were built stronger than the remingtons. Not sure how strong of an action you need for a 6mm though?

I like the #3 idea for all the reasons you stated. The longer box would be the top reason. A good 3-9x40 or 4.5-14x40 would be a great scope for a gun like this. Just my thoughts.

POP's gunbroker deal doesn't seem to shabby either though.

I vote #2 for the options given.

However, your talking taking a 650$ minimum for the entire rifle and then rebarreling it. Std ballpark figure to fit & chamber the new barrel is 500-600$. You can just chamber & fit if you'd like also and save 150-200 by not truing the action, but I advise against it. Now your at 1100-1200$ for a stock rifle with a new barrel

Collect Parts & BUILD it from the ground up....... Your way..!!

Find a used receiver with no bolt, 225$, kiff bolt, 125$, bolt innards 100$ or get a complete action, 350-450$. Decent trigger 100$. Stock it with whatever floats your boat, right now stockystocks has 700 laminates on closeouts for 160$. There are better deals to be had if your paitent. Now your at 710$ for parts, then add the barrel work mentioned above and your 1100-1200$, ---- With better components, tighter action, superior trigger...

And the kool thing about building it your way is the $$$ layout. Just collect the parts as your wallet permits. I am in the process of collecting parts right now. Just tucked a nice 700 reciever w/no bolt 225$ in the safe.. Now I'll save my pennies for other parts and buy as I get the cash..

Once you go this route, its addicting..

Rod

I Also vote #3. After all of the work of pillar and glass bedding this CDL, I don't want to deal with it again. I could have sent it back to Remington, but it would have been months of waiting and I want an expensive rifle to shoot today! All of the Winchesters I have seen have been excellent and have shot excellent. No reason to mess with them. They are put together better I believe. Not saying they are the only rifle out there, but I do like the M70 action more than Rem's also. My 2nd would be the Ruger, because, as you said, the optics mounting system is stronger than heck, and they are great, solid rifles. Scotty

Each has its positive point. You will be pleased no matter what you choose. I'd opt for the Hawkeye or the Winchester, just to be different and because I've had good success with these rifles.

Thanks for all the input. I believe I will go with either a Hawkeye and put a 6mm barrel on it, or try and get a used M70 Extreme Weather SS and change tubes on it. I think either one of these will build a very nice looking and accurate rifle. As NODAK says, I'll have to start looking. Maybe for a good used donor rifle. 8) :grin:

Guy Miner":2qbe037s said:

Here's the deal - you buy all three and get them bedded & free-floated and all tuned up, then send the one you don't like to me... Okay? :grin:

Guy as anal as I am, by the time I was done with it and tweaked a load for it, it probably would be a 1/2" rifle at 100 yards. I'm not sure if that meets your criteria or not :?: :mrgreen: :shock: :grin:

6mm Remington":1ce3j5zs said:
Guy Miner":1ce3j5zs said:

Guy as anal as I am, by the time I was done with it and tweaked a load for it, it probably would be a 1/2" rifle at 100 yards. I'm not sure if that meets your criteria or not :?: :mrgreen: :shock: :grin:

You're as anal as I am......

Never happy! :evil:

I haven't had any time at home to work up loads for my new rifles... if you guys can pull .5MOA out of them before I even touch them... :)

Back