7 mm Rem short action ultra magnum

I have a 700 rem bdl ss that I bought last November. I shot a whitetail doe with the 160 gr. Partition factory loads at 150 yards. Bang flop. Those factory loads were very hot! I experienced sticky bolt lift. They chronographed at 3015 f.p.s. I've been loading 140 and 160 gr. accubonds. I get ragged hole groups at 100 yards with the 140 nab and 58 grs. of H-4350. Have'nt chronographed that load yet. I get 5/8's to 3/4 inch groups with the 160 nab. and 3012 f.p.s. That load seemed kind of hot, which consisted of 66 grs. of H-1000. I backed off to 64 grs. and get a hair over 2950 f.p.s. I really like this rifle. It is fast becoming my favorite.

I bought a Winchester Ultimate Shadow in 7mmWSM and with factory ammo, experienced swelled cases. The cases swelled just above the web. I was also not getting better performance then I'd gotten for years, with a rifle in 7mmRemMag. I returned the rifle and factory ammo to Olin and to Winchester/Browning, asking for a reason why I was getting swelled cases. The question was never answered, however, Winchester replaced the rifle. Not having an answer from Winchester, I came to my own conclusion, that Winchester is "pushing the envelope" in trying to wring high performance from their short cases and therefore, when anything is a hair "off", one may expect to have problems with too high pressures. Once I received the replacement rifle, I sold it for what my wholesale cost had been, just to get out from under the thing. Perhaps my experience was unique and caused by some glitch. However, I had no desire to begin again with the same model rifle and 7mmWSM cartridge. I will stick with the 7mmRemMag.

Back