75 grain vmax in the 25-06

mccraggen

Beginner
Mar 11, 2017
Has anyone had any luck with this combo? I’m thinking of using it for a flat shooting hard hitting combo and maybe white tail, would it have enough oomph for a smaller deer species?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used it at 3700 fps with AA450. Explodes on jackrabbits.

I had mixed results with the 75 Vmax on Coyotes, switched to 90gr SBK and found them to work better at long range than the Vmax did. The jacket thickness on a SBK is only .011 so they are pretty explosive. I would not recommend them for our deer around here. But I am sure folks have used them, on smaller deer. I like a Speer
120gr bullets on deer but a lot of guys use 100 gr bullets with great success? I am pretty sure that combo your thinking of; Would have a lot of potential,for bullet failure, On a deer, and a wounded animal suffering & stumbling around............ :cry:

I personally would never use a bullet designed for varmits on deer, not even small deer. It may have been done before and there may be some still doing it but I think we owe it to the animal that we're hunting to try and dispatch it quickly and humanely and to use a bullet designed to do just that. I agree there's just to much potential for bullet failure and a wounded unrecovered animal with this combo.

Where I live deer aren’t really considered a game species as they are introduced, so it would be most likely a head shot I’m going for

I have killed hundreds of white tail deer with a 25-06 with lots of bullets and under PERFECT conditions any bullet will kill a deer. Having said that I would NEVER go after deer with the 75 Vmax. As has been said you should use bullets designed for deer size game which means unless it is a mono constructed bullet it will be 100 grs or heaver. Another thing to take into thought is with those light bullets and getting high velocity with them is fine for shorter distance but when the wind starts to blow and the range starts to get over 300 yards then the heaver longer bullets start to shine. My favorite deer bullet is the 117 Sierra. It is very accurate and really does a great job on deer out to a little over 500 yards. I do not shoot deer much over 500 yards with the 25-06 because energy drops off too much. I shots are expected to be over 500 yards the 264 Win mag makes the trip.

1Shot has summed it up exactly for you!
There is your answer from someone that has had
Vast experience with the 25 Whelen, why go against
Someone that has been there and done it! And Guybo's comment
on oweing It to the animal; To do your very best, to dispatch it correctly
Rings so TRUE with me.

35 Whelen":2lecqex1 said:
1Shot has summed it up exactly for you!
There is your answer from someone that has had
Vast experience with the 25 Whelen, why go against
Someone that has been there and done it! And Guybo's comment
on oweing It to the animal; To do your very best, to dispatch it correctly
Rings so TRUE with me.
+1 this!

There are many great deer bullets for the 25-06, my favorites are 110g AB, 115g Ballistic Tip, 100g Etip and 120g Speer BTSP.

Guybo":2nq7uwu2 said:
I personally would never use a bullet designed for varmits on deer, not even small deer. It may have been done before and there may be some still doing it but I think we owe it to the animal that we're hunting to try and dispatch it quickly and humanely and to use a bullet designed to do just that. I agree there's just to much potential for bullet failure and a wounded unrecovered animal with this combo.
amen

The 115 grain Nosler PT and BT are very good whitetail bullets that served me well in the past. Dan.

FOTIS":ham90c5b said:
Even the 100 grain ones

+1 100 Gr BT's have never failed to canvas antelope for me.... 75 Gr V-max's shoot tiny groups for me, but I hunt w/ 100's in my 250 Savage Course that's a little less velocity than your 25-06. CL

mccraggen said:
Has anyone had any luck with this combo? I’m thinking of using it for a flat shooting hard hitting combo and maybe white tail, would it have enough oomph for a smaller deer species?

i've pondered this question and come back to it a couple times and read the responses. i love the speed and accuracy I get with the 75's -- for prairie dogs and anything under 300 yards. I also recall my personal learning curve about BC, energy, trajectory, bullet construction, etc. as i got deeper into this cartridge. We all had to start somewhere!
Keeping in mind goal of flat shooting and hard hitting, I ran Ballistics calcs for the Vmax and the 100 gr. BT's.
Vmax @ 3700 fps 300 yd zero: At 500 yds. 715 ft/lbs energy and 22.62" drop. 2073 fps.
100 BT@ 3375 fps 300 yd zero: At 500 yds. 1275 ft/lbs energy and 21.39" drop. 2351 fps.

So, as far as hard hitting goes, no contest. Trajectory almost identical, so flat shooting the same. The BT was recommended by several here for deer. Hope this info helps!
EE2

88a7a497e69267c846fad784352e43c7.jpg

Oh by the way this was at 250m with a crosswind, the accuracy is amazing!

cloverleaf":34fwcxij said:
FOTIS":34fwcxij said:
Even the 100 grain ones

+1 100 Gr BT's have never failed to canvas antelope for me.... CL

I started loading 100 BT's because that was the weight recommended to me by a friend who swore by the 25-06 for whitetails. In all the years and deer since then, I've never had one fail or had a reason to doubt their effectiveness.

Not trying to start an argument, or casting any doubt on your shooting skill, but in my opinion taking head shots is an iffy proposition. If you move, the deer moves, the earth moves, whatever, then the possibility exists for the deer to be severely injured and escape. There have been reports/photos of deer who have had their lower jaw shot off and this in turn means they are doomed to starvation unless someone else kills them. As for me, I will take body shots only, preferably behind the shoulder, and only if I have a plausible angle.

Just my .02.

Ron

rjm158":1iv9twvu said:
cloverleaf":1iv9twvu said:
FOTIS":1iv9twvu said:
Even the 100 grain ones

+1 100 Gr BT's have never failed to canvas antelope for me.... CL

I started loading 100 BT's because that was the weight recommended to me by a friend who swore by the 25-06 for whitetails. In all the years and deer since then, I've never had one fail or had a reason to doubt their effectiveness.

Not trying to start an argument, or casting any doubt on your shooting skill, but in my opinion taking head shots is an iffy proposition. If you move, the deer moves, the earth moves, whatever, then the possibility exists for the deer to be severely injured and escape. There have been reports/photos of deer who have had their lower jaw shot off and this in turn means they are doomed to starvation unless someone else kills them. As for me, I will take body shots only, preferably behind the shoulder, and only if I have a plausible angle.

Just my .02.

Ron

Oops- what did I miss here? Never tried a "head shot" on any big game in my life. Ive seen that deer with a busted lower jaw. Fotis wouldn't either... Did I mis-type something Ron?

mccraggen":3vjk1l03 said:
Where I live deer aren’t really considered a game species as they are introduced, so it would be most likely a head shot I’m going for

CL, I quoted you because I agreed with your post. My second paragraph was in reference to mccraggen's post. Sorry for the confusion.

Ron

rjm158":1obis2dp said:
mccraggen":1obis2dp said:

CL, I quoted you because I agreed with your post. My second paragraph was in reference to mccraggen's post. Sorry for the confusion.

Ron

My apologies too Ron, some how I didn't catch that, sorry. CL

Back