7600 pump?

BretN

Handloader
Jan 22, 2015
I know the books say to crimp for pump actions. I just FL sized and loaded a box. I would think there'd be enough neck tension to hold the bullet. For target 30-06 starting loads, should I still crimp? Thanks.

I don't know but I would just cycle them through the gun and see if OAL changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have owned a few 35 whelens in the 7600. I never crimped

Thanks guys. I never understood how a pump would cause more trouble for a case than a bolt gun. Now semi-autos, I could see needing to crimp those.

I do crimp for my 35 Whelen. I guess I did it because the books said to so I did it and it works. I feel that the action is the same as a semi-auto but the only difference is I am doing the work not the big spring. It might not be needed but, I am still going to do it.

I used to have a 742 carbine in 30-06 and I never crimped the cases.
It shot well and I never had a problem.

JD338

BretN":s95wn2wn said:
I know the books say to crimp for pump actions. I just FL sized and loaded a box. I would think there'd be enough neck tension to hold the bullet. For target 30-06 starting loads, should I still crimp? Thanks.
>>> no need. I had one 200 yrs ago when I started loading. try 50 grains IMR4064 w/ a 150 of some type. that load usually shoots pretty good in the 06.

I don't crimp semi-auto rifles either.

I loaded a round for my AR and fed it from the mag 10 times and then checked OAL and concentricity and both were the same as when I loaded it.

I crimp all levers and pistols. Even my 460 Bee does NOT get a crimp

I have shot a Rem 760(same gun just older) in 30-06 since 1970. I have never crimped a single round and have never had any trouble. This is even with a ten round mag and fun shooting.

Back