7mm-08 and Power Pro 2000-MR (Medium Rifle)

338winmag

Handloader
Jan 9, 2011
Some might think this is a boring time of the year but think again!
Big game hunting season is ONLY 10+ months away and those months fly by fast for those us who didn't even get a shot this year. :cry: (I won't mention any names)

Waiting on a brand new Weatherby Vanguard S2 7mm-08 order to come in. Through suggestions from our boards 7mm-08 experts and some additional research, I have decided on the Nosler Partition for the hunting round. I feel pretty good about being able to get the new rifle to shoot well with those sweet babies. For target shooting and rifle break in, I have already purchased a box of less expensive Hornady Interlock 139 gr BTSPs and a box of Speer 145 gr Spitzer BTSP. :grin:

The powder question is a little confusing though and of course won't know till after we fire some rounds. I have lots of powder but the two that might be the better powders for this caliber I do not have.

Anyone any thoughts and comments on Alliant RL17 and Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR (Medium Rifle)
all comments welcome.

Whew! No one can say I am lacking in the verbose category. :lol:

Thanks All

I have only used the RL17. I use it for my 270 win. with 150 gr. deep curl. I get sub MOA groups and using Nikon Prostaff BDC scope can consistently hit 8" target at lasered 500 yards. Powder measures smooth using RCBS electronic powder dispenser. Burns clean. Alliant will gladly send you a free reloaders guide. Their number is 1 800 276-9337

DSC00988.jpg

I tried some 2000MR, along with some others, in my daughters' Savage 111 at 100yards
As far as velocity goes, it's right in there with most of the others.

That's a lot of testing you did there, both RL 17 and Big Game look great in your gun.

Big Game is what I use in my 7/08 too. Its the first powder I tried and it put down similar sub 1" groups @ 100 yards.

RL-17 worked about the same for me as H414, and I had more of the H414 available when developing so went with it for 120's and 140's. Have to admit I'm spoiled by how well it meters through my old powder measure. I know, that shouldn't be a factor when looking for a powder/bullet combo but it's a confidence builder for me because I don't totally trust my powder measure, beam scale, or electronic scale. The loads fill almost to the base of the neck, so I get a good visual as well.
EE2

Back