7mm-08 Quick load data

Loaded up a 9 shot Ladder, 120gr TTSX with Leverevolution. 46gr up to 50gr. I also picked up a magnetospeed sporter for good price, should work fine for the ladder. I'm working on something to mount it off of my bipod vs the barrel for shooting groups.

Attachments

• 20220922_174531.jpg
    20220922_174531.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220922_174646.jpg
    20220922_174646.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 12
Legitimate question: wouldn't using magnum primers cause pressure signs at lower loads, or am I overthinking that?

Legitimate question: wouldn't using magnum primers cause pressure signs at lower loads, or am I overthinking that?
I thought the same thing, and since the guys at Hammer bullets recommend using mag primers with their bullets I decided to test both standard and magnum. In my 22-250 and 243 velocity was about the same, all other components being the same. In my 25-06 with 100gr Etips the average velocity was also about the same, but with 115gr Ballistic tips I had 49 fps average higher velocity with standard CCI vs CCI mag 250's. That I wasn't expecting. Also in every case I had lower standard deviation with the mag primers.

Generally speaking, I believe that's correct. Depends on the primers though. I haven't seen much difference but I've only used BR2s, 9 1/2Ms and 250Ms as that's what I have.

Finally got back around to this. Here's my data. Two velocity readings because I was using my prochrono and magnetospeed at the same time. First time with the magnetospeed so I wasn't going to trust it 100%. Couple of weird numbers but the two chronographs were generally pretty close.

Attachments

• 20221127_191003.jpg
    20221127_191003.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 13
Here's my setup for the magnetospeed. This isn't my 7mm-08 but it was from today. It works but it's a bit of a pain as the muzzle blast pushes it down and I was having to reset it for every shot.

Attachments

• 20221127_075247.jpg
    20221127_075247.jpg
    817.2 KB · Views: 20
I saw it online somewhere. I wanted to be able to shoot groups while measuring velocity without the magnetospeed possibly affecting anything. I've heard that it doesn't really but???
Using my magneto speed when shooting groups of established loads has caused it shift some from point of aim but group size was the same. When doing a ladder test have had shots to stay in a fairly close group depending on gun and loads. I like mine. Dan.

Using my magneto speed when shooting groups of established loads has caused it shift some from point of aim but group size was the same. When doing a ladder test have had shots to stay in a fairly close group depending on gun and loads. I like mine. Dan.
Yep, I had the same results. Groups size was the same but POI usually shifted up a few inches at 100 yards.

I saw it online somewhere. I wanted to be able to shoot groups while measuring velocity without the magnetospeed possibly affecting anything. I've heard that it doesn't really but???
I always wondered if there was some way to attach it to a sling stud or something..hmmm, now the rusty old gears in my head are turning.

I always wondered if there was some way to attach it to a sling stud or something..hmmm, now the rusty old gears in my head are turning.
I used a camera arm and drilled out the front swivel stud hole on the bipod to fit the 1/4" stud on the arm. Arm was about $30. I had to make the aluminum extension rods. Two sizes to accommodate barrel lengths from 28" to 20".

I forgot to add the group from the Leverevolution ladder....I think it might work out pretty good.

Attachments

• 20221128_143146.jpg
    20221128_143146.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 10
Went back and shot groups with the 120gr ttsx and the leverevolution. 50gr was about an inch but dang are they screaming at 3292fps avg! This is my new go to load in my 7mm08. I might play with seating depth on it but I haven’t seen much difference with that in the past in this rifle for some reason.

Attachments

• IMG_2318.jpeg
    IMG_2318.jpeg
    432.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2320.jpeg
    IMG_2320.jpeg
    491.8 KB · Views: 9
Went back and shot groups with the 120gr ttsx and the leverevolution. 50gr was about an inch but dang are they screaming at 3292fps avg! This is my new go to load in my 7mm08. I might play with seating depth on it but I haven’t seen much difference with that in the past in this rifle for some reason.
That’s quite a speed demon of a 7mm-08

That's smokin'

JD338

Yes, point and shoot out to 300 yards. I had always intended this rifle to wear a Weaver K4 fixed power and I only put the current Bushnell ultra HD 4.5-14 on for load development. “Ultra HD” isn’t a joke either, it’s some of the clearest glass I have. After a seating depth test with the latest load, it will be time for the swap but this Bushnell is so good that I’m honestly hesitant.

Correction: It’s actually a Weaver K4 not a K6, been so long that I forgot!

Last edited:
Back