7mm 150 gr Accubond?

bludog

Beginner
Jan 29, 2006
Any chance we could see this bullet this year? I'm going on an elk hunt in October and this is one I'd seriously consider for my 284 win. Expect mv to be around 2950-3000 fps with RL-17. I'm really holding off on developing loads until this question gets answered.

bludog

The 7mm 150 gr AB would be a great addition to the line. I will also check on this for you but to my knowledge, has not been announced.

Have you considered the 160 gr AB? You will have a lower MV but the .531 BC will help retain velocity and energy. The 160 gr AB is a great bullet for elk and deer.

JD338

Bludog. I hear what you are saying about a 150gr AB for the 7's. It would be a great addition to the line. The 160 is a very well made bullet, and you would only be giving up about 60 fps. In addition, the extra mass might be nice for elk. Just a thought.

I agree with JD. The 160 will catch up and fully surpass the 150 ina matter of 200 yards or less.

Right now, if I had to decide, I'd probably go with the 160 AB. Groups are pretty good so far, and honest, velocity using RL-17 is very good. I don't think there is a huge difference, and I recently bought another box of 160s, but for some reason, for this cartridge, the 150 gr AB seems like it would be about perfect both for deer and elk. So, if you hear anything, I'd really appreciate an update.

I would also like to see a 150 AB for my 280's.
I made a compromise and went with a 154 Hornady IB. I had great results with it in both accuracy and speed in my NCR and the Rem 700.

Without pushing it at all, 2900 fps is easily obtainable. This is with a 24" barrel. There is an excellent writeup on 6mmBR.com on this powder in this cartridge - seems like they were made for each other. A guy on another forum on 24 Hour Campfire uses moly bullets and gets another 100+ fps beyond what I list (2-3 more gr of powder). I'm not into pushing it - this mv results in plenty of downrange energy and retained velocity - for as far as I can shoot. I haven't really started serious load development yet - wanting to see if there will be a 150 gr AB. I've just chronied some loads and checked accuracy at about 55 yds.

bludog
The 160 gr AB at 2900 fps is very respectable!
Find your load and don't look back.

JD338

For elk, the 160 is likely a great choice. Heck, I used a 175 Partition on the bull I shot a few years back! Nothing wrong with a long, heavy bullet... Nothing at all! :grin:

Not to stir the pot, but what will the 150AB do that the 140 or 160ABs can't do? It's only 10gns difference. Just curious. Have you thought of using the 150ET or Partition?

To answer your question of the 150 vs the other two, probably not much. I've used 140 ABs from both 7wsm and 7-08 on white tail deer for several years and had excellent success. Loaded the wife up some 120 BTs this past season and they performed about the same - instant kill, complete pass through. I would use either AB on elk, feel better with 160s, would like one load for deer and elk both going forward, and while the 160 isn't really punishing, there is a noticable difference in recoil for me shooting 150s vs 160s. Right now it is probably going to be the 160 AB unless they do come out with a 150 later this year. It just seems like the right size bullet for this cartridge.

Back