7mm 162 ELDM?

rmarshall

Handloader
Mar 10, 2010
Would you shoot this bullet at elk? I know a lot of folks have used these types of bullets for hunting. It would be fired from a 280 rem. Tried the 162 ELDX and wasn't impressed. thanks

Avoid shoulders/big bones.
My buddy used the 162 A-max back in the day on elk. Killed the cow with his 7mm rem mag made a mess of things inside.

I've used the 162 amax for years from various 7mm mags on deer and elk. Just stay off the shoulder inside 300 yards and you'll be good. It's a better LR bullet for big game than a bone smashing close range bullet. Furthest elk I've killed was at 1125 yards with the 162g AMAX and a 7 RM. Bullet entered behind the shoulder, liquified the lungs, exited behind the offside shoulder. Bull went 30 yards and fell over with all 4 feet in the air.

gerry":2o1pk3d3 said:
I'm curious, what didn't you like about the ELD-X?
In my last 280 the 162 eldx bullets would not group consistently, one season I thought I had it, then I’d try it again and it was all over the place, but the 150 BT where always spot on, so I gave up on them. I grew very frustrated with them. Hope that answers your questions..

rmarshall":3q2x3rm2 said:
gerry":3q2x3rm2 said:
I'm curious, what didn't you like about the ELD-X?
In my last 280 the 162 eldx bullets would not group consistently, one season I thought I had it, then I’d try it again and it was all over the place, but the 150 BT where always spot on, so I gave up on them. I grew very frustrated with them. Hope that answers your questions..

Thanks, that helps. Maybe their quality control was a bit off.

I had accuracy problems with 162 ELDx in both my 7 RM and 7-08. Same load with 162 AMax or Eldm and sub-moa. I believe it’s more temperamental to tune due to jacket taper and interlock... friends had same experience accuracy wise too. We gave up on them and use them for fouling shots now .. lol

I had accuracy problems with 162 ELDx in both my 7 RM and 7-08. Same load with 162 AMax or Eldm and sub-moa. I believe it’s more temperamental to tune due to jacket taper and interlock... friends had same experience accuracy wise too. We gave up on them and use them for fouling shots now .. lol

I'm working on a load now for a friends 7 RM in a savage and he wanted to use the 162 ELDXs. I have them shooting 2.5" at 300 yards with 69.5g H1000 at 3025fps without much trouble. I tried the 180g ELDMs first, but the 9.5" twist savage barrel was having a hard time shooting them accurately. They made round holes, but they were marginally stable at best.

Back