7mm LR Accubond Field Report / Recovered Bullet

Gutpile

Beginner
Sep 29, 2010
This was pulled from my whity this fall. It is a 168 grn 7mm LR AccuBond from a Max load of hunter in a 7mm Mag. Velocity unknown. Not a Text book shot placement but you may find it interesting. Shot hit just above the tail on a straight away shot I cant remember the exact distance but it was 225-250 yds. It passed clear through and lodged under the skin in the neck. It totally missed the vitals and the deer required a killing shot. I wish I could find the bullet from the point blank killing shot but have lost it. It blew a HUGE hole in the deer on the near side and did massive damage. It lodged under the skin on the far side. So the penetration of this bullet is a bit strange. It is made for long range hunting which I understand but I think I'm going to stick with standard Accubonds, partitions, or interbond. The only thing I don't like about the partion it they really tend to blood shot a lot of meat which I don't notice with the AccuBond. I also killed an elk with these at 200+ and the first shot hit the leg bone and it was like a damn bomb went off. Only a piece of bullet or bone entered the lung. A killing shot was required which hit high and dumped the animal. It died quickly. I know a Partition would have penetrated and believe a standard AccuBond would have. I honestly don't think these things offer any real benefit over the standard accubonds. I know you long range guys are gonna blah blah blah me and that's ok but I just don't trust these things for future hunts. Lastly accuracy for me was really not all that good out of my Tikka. I knew that my shots would be 200-300 yards and I knew that I could make a shot at those ranges so I decided to give the LR AB a try even though they weren't giving me the groups I want to see. That bullet is very sleek and sexy but a 3" group at 100 yards is 12" at 400 and that's a miss or a cripple shot. Flame away but that's my take. LoL.

66 grains retained

Please don't use my loads without working up to them

168 LR AB (4 shots) 72 grns Hunter

162 grn interlock H1000 (3 shots)

162 Interlock R22 (4 shots)

The other one was identical but retained more weight. Sure wish I could find it

Speed can be very impressive with those bullets. I'm interested in velocity readings on that load. I do believe Hunter is in the same burn rate as 4350 do that should be a singing round

Thanks for the field report, they do seem to expand violently at close range. I do believe they will excel at long range shooting in particular but will be a bit messy at closer range. I took 3 deer with the 129 gr ABLR last fall in a 260 Rem, the closest shot was a broadside deer in heavy timber but I could see her chest the bullet went through with the classic silver dollar size exit. The two other deer were taken with a head shot and neck shot and the exits were definitely messy. It looks like a the ABLR is a DRT bullet for the most part but can be pretty messy. There is certainly nothing wrong with the Interbond or AccuBond for an all around load and will almost certainly penetrate deeper with less blood shot meat.
The truth be told I like the AccuBond better than the ABLR but will likely keep shooting it specifically for long range deer and predators. Probably would be great for mountain goats where you have to drop them instantly so they don't get into terrain that you just can't go.

gerry":2iy7ulfk said:
Thanks for the field report, they do seem to expand violently at close range. I do believe they will excel at long range shooting in particular but will be a bit messy at closer range. I took 3 deer with the 129 gr ABLR last fall in a 260 Rem, the closest shot was a broadside deer in heavy timber but I could see her chest the bullet went through with the classic silver dollar size exit. The two other deer were taken with a head shot and neck shot and the exits were definitely messy. It looks like a the ABLR is a DRT bullet for the most part but can be pretty messy. There is certainly nothing wrong with the Interbond or AccuBond for an all around load and will almost certainly penetrate deeper with less blood shot meat.
The truth be told I like the AccuBond better than the ABLR but will likely keep shooting it specifically for long range deer and predators. Probably would be great for mountain goats where you have to drop them instantly so they don't get into terrain that you just can't go.

We think a lot alike. 6.5's are great whitetail medicine, Accubonds are definitely awesome and the 35 Whelen is just about the coolest cartridge ever invented. LoL.

Anyone who loves 6.5's and the 35 Whelen is a good guy in my book :)

Fascinating report. I used the 150 grain ABLR to harvest an elk (70 yards) and a mule deer (~50 yards) this past fall (each from a .280, muzzle velocity of ~3130 fps). Both animals were felled with neck shots, and neither shot appeared to make an excessive exit wound. There does seem to have been more than adequate penetration with the bullet you recovered; and it did mushroom nicely. Since I do very little shooting beyond ~450 yards, I'm not certain that I require the ABLR. Still, it is nice to know that it is available, and I'll likely continue to work with it just because I have them.

Thank you for the report!! I have a good supply of 150gr ABLRs & 168ABLRs as well. I will test them first when I get my 280AI. If they do not do the job I will pick up the 140gr & 160gr ABs. The 160gr. Have been rock solid for me in the past & I have no problem using them in my new rifle :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Congratulations on a nice buck! The recovered bullets look pretty good considering what they went through. The large diameter mushroom is going to slow down the bullet more giving it less penetration. The higher impact velocity of the finishing shot is also going to impede penetration. The AB and PT will typically have a smaller diameter mushroom, thus allowing it to penetrate more than what you experienced with the ABLR.

I think you got pretty good bullet performance.

JD338

That is a great buck!

I think JD nailed it. I shot a nice buck in Idaho with the 150 ABLR out of my 280 AI @ 475 yards and I got a complete pass through. The shot was a bit high and a kill shot was required, that shot, 100 yards, was recovered and looked perfect. I'm of the thought that had the first shot not been as devastating as it was, there would have been a lot more work required to recover the buck.

With that being said, my brother shot a doe with a 168 out of his .284 @ 200 yards and got two exit holes. He said there was no denying the effectiveness of the bullet, as the doe looked like she had the rug yanked out from under her, but the two exit holes caused some concern.

Those are the only two reports of impacts under 300 yards that I have. Everything else has been farther with nothing but impressive results. I think that if a guy is concerned about penetration, he might need to step up in weight a bit from what he normally shoots.

On a bit of a side note, Mike your getting 130 fps over what I'm getting out of my 280 AI! I can push them that high but they didn't shoot well. What powder are you driving those with? I'm thinking that if I'm only getting 3000 with the 150 ABLR I might give the 168 ABLR a shot. I have a few buddies that are able to drive them dang near 3000 fps out of their 280 AI. I figure if I can only get 3000 fps I might as well be pushing the heavier bullet.

That is a beautiful buck and a outstanding photo. From what I am hearing from different sources, one might want to be careful with bullet placement at close range. It is a cup and core bullet.

Elkman":2dc6g9f1 said:
That is a beautiful buck and a outstanding photo. From what I am hearing from different sources, one might want to be careful with bullet placement at close range. It is a cup and core bullet.

I thought it was a bonded bullet. Hence the name.

I thought it was a bonded bullet. Hence the name.[/quote

Well when I looked at one sawed in two, that thought did not register with me. Perhaps "I" had better figure out the difference? Thanks for the question, loved the picture.

jmad_81":2fr124oe said:
Mike your getting 130 fps over what I'm getting out of my 280 AI! I can push them that high but they didn't shoot well. What powder are you driving those with? I'm thinking that if I'm only getting 3000 with the 150 ABLR I might give the 168 ABLR a shot. I have a few buddies that are able to drive them dang near 3000 fps out of their 280 AI. I figure if I can only get 3000 fps I might as well be pushing the heavier bullet.

First of all, I misquoted my velocity. It is 3033 fps, not 3130 fps. I'm using VN560 (charge of 60 grains). Accuracy is MOA (actually slightly under). When I'm up at 3100+ fps (with a stiffer charge), accuracy goes out the window, and that velocity is also with VN560. This is a 24 inch pipe, which adds perhaps 70 fps over my Winchester Featherweight.

I thought only the very rear of the bullet was bonded and the rest isn't. The thin front section it expands very rapidly and the heavy base means there will be something left at the end. Apparently the AccuBond is made in a similar way but the jacket is much tougher so it penetrates much deeper and retains more weight.

I had heard that about the jacket and I believe it. I love the originals. Those things are just awesome

Well now after three seperate articles I know understand (i think) bonded. There is more than one way, the more expensive bullets, do have a tougher core, and thicker sidewalls. The Nosler is essentially a cup and core bullet with a chemical process that adheres the copper coating to the lead wth varying results as has been stated here
The two other deer were taken with a head shot and neck shot and the exits were definitely messy.
particularly at close range.
I have about 300 my self and am working on a load using the 168 ABLR for my 7 mm STW. John Barness has a pretty extensive article on the 24 hour website, worth reading.

Back