7mm rem mag 140 AB

skeeter

Beginner
Mar 6, 2006
Just got a deal on some 140 AB's and was planning on working up a load for my 7mm rem mag for deer & antelope. Previously in the 140's I have gone with RL22 but this was not a nosler bullet (Barnes TSX). I have had good luck with 150BT's and 150NP's with Imr 4831 and 160AB's with IMR 7828.

Just wanting to here what others may have been using with 140AB's(in terms of powder).

I am using rem brass and Fed 215M GMM primers, BTW.

As stated my primary use is for deer sized game and am looking for ballistic and accuracy results with this load. Would it be stupid to attempt using a fast flier for my elk hunt, assuming it pans out that way??? I have read of many using the 140AB in 270win/wsm & 7mm 08 but am leary to even try. I have used the 160 version on elk with good results.

Thanks

OK work up with RL 22. Now Nosler claims 67.5 for 3300 fps or so. I have never ever been able to reach this in a ny of the dozen 7 mags I have worked with. I needed to go to 71 grains (in some) or so by monitoring Case Head Expansion carefully.

Currently hunting with the 140 AB's in my 7mm Wby. 70 gr of RL22 & 71 gr of IMR 7828 pushes them to 3000 fps from my 24" Encore. I would not even hesitate to whack an Elk with this load!!!

I could easily go up 5-8 more grains but for now I won't. During the summer I plan to work up some hotter 140 AB & sizzling 160 AB loads.

Thanks guys for the response.

Reloader 28, would you still suggest a 140 ab if the loads is obtaining 3200 or over fps? I have a 26" tube on my custom rem mag, my elk/moose load last fall was 140 gr TSX that was acheiving this..no problems with it for these critters just not what I like for smaller game and rib shots. Like I said a bit leary as my elk shots have been of late on the close side 200 yards or under.

70 gr of RL 22. Work up slooooooooooooow. Should realize 32-3300 fps. Nosler says 67.5...never ever happen. Again this is safe in the rifle I worked up the load for.

I wouldn't be scared of the 140 on Elk. Yes, the 150's or 160's may be a better choice -BUT- so is the 270 over a 30-30. I hear lots of stories about people hunting Elk with a 270 & 130 gr bullets. Don't see a 140 being any less effective.

After whacking two Whitetails & an Axis with the 140's last year and looking at the exit wound, I see no reason to shy away from a hi-velocity 140 AB.

Sometimes I say to myself: "Fooey on all this consternation on the right bullet weight, I'm just gonna load some up and see how they act." In that case the proof is in the puddin'.

I would give H4831sc a try under the 140grNAB. RL22 should also do well. You should easily get 3200fps in the 7rem. As to effectiveness on elk, if you are happy w/ 160gr why change? For me, the reason to hunt w/ a 7mag over a 7-08 or .280 is you can push those beautifully long bullets faster.
BTW, if you are using IMR4831, try dropping the magnum primer for a 210M. Accuracy is likely to improve.

Fred, just looking for input at this point, seeing I have never shot the 140AB I wanted to hear others thoughts and experiences. I assume their are many like me who enjoy playing around with loads and try different things. I have never been much of "it ain't broke it, why fix it" kind of guy. The only way to know is to try and in terms of reloading it is always good/nice to have those fall back options. Which in all likelyhood will be what I'll use for our annual elk hunt but who knows I won't make any decisions until I have time to test and compare.

I have both RL22 & 7828 but will also pick up some H4831sc to compare. Thanks for the suggestion of the 210M primer, it reminded me of shooting pal who found this in his 300wm.

Seems to me that 140 grains is kind of light for a 7mm Rem Mag. I use the 140 ABs in my 280 remington (7mm Express). Are you sure you just don't want to ship those 140s to me?

I agree with the others, go with RL22 for the 140 gr bullets in your 7mm Rem Mag.

JD338

Val":22gvpc8s said:
Seems to me that 140 grains is kind of light for a 7mm Rem Mag. I use the 140 ABs in my 280 remington (7mm Express). Are you sure you just don't want to ship those 140s to me?

Sure....LOL :wink:

I use the 140 AB in my 7 mag. To date, it's only been tested on a small blacktail buck that dropped instantly in the spot from a boiler room shot. He should have, I was only about 100 yards away. I also use RL-22.

Back