7mm rem mag 160gr PT vs 160gr Swift A-frame on the jugs

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Fired from my Sako Bavarian right from the muzzle (point blank range)
160gr Nosler Partition @2950fps...caught in jug #7(found the front core in jug #5)
retained weight 103grs (65%) plus 9grs of the front core from jug #5
expansion .533"

160gr Swift A-frame @2900fps..caught in jug #6
retained weight 151grs (94%)
expansion .618"

The Partition is a true performer, as is the Swift A-frame, I look forward to testing the 300gr Nosler Partition in my .375 H&H very soon , it should match the 8 jugs that the 300gr Swift A-frame did I bet :twisted:
Lou

A couple of great performers. Thanks for conducting these tests, Lou.

That's awesome Lou! Talk about to big time performers! Nice test. Both of those are serious performers in the 7mm's!

Looks Good there Lou ! i am really interested too in the 375 :grin: H&H 300 gr bullet tests ! :grin:
Cheers :) RJ

Rem Jim":39wfegi8 said:
Looks Good there Lou ! i am really interested too in the 300 H&H 300 gr bullet tests ! :grin:
Cheers :) RJ
Hi Jim, that's .375 H&H :roll: :grin: ...anyways, I have the 300gr Partitions now, and just gathering up some more jugs, I well do the test next Friday afternoon pal, it should be interesting, they should be running @ +/- 2550 fps from the muzzle,

Lou

Nice work Lou. Both offer some serious penetration.

JD338

Thanks for posting Lou, both those bullets have been long time performers that have not been left behind.

Blessings,
Dan

Both did well, Lou. I am surprised that the A-Frame riveted so far back on the shank? However, I guess that under normal hunting conditions, velocity would be somewhat lower?

Guy Miner":1ua7d98x said:
OT3, I understand that's pretty typical of the Swift A-Frame.
Hi Guy and Charlie, yes that's pretty normal of the A-frame in the lighter caliber's and bullets, I was kinda surprised myself to have seen it pancake so much though, the bigger and heavier calibers are more tougher and beefed up just like the heavy for caliber partitions,I've seen some PT's have that rear core buldge as well, but not by much. In this test, the Partition out performed the A-frame in penetration, but expansion and weight retention go to the A-frame. They are two great bullets that did great considering all that stress put on them from 10 or so feet away into the jugs.
I well run a 300gr Partition from the .375 H&H into the jugs, and compare the results to the 300gr Swift-A frame, and 300gr Norma Oryx tests that I've also done. Heck, this is kinda fun :grin:

Lou

SJB358":285j1ev7 said:
Yeah buddy! All in the name of science! HA!
You know this is all your fault eh pal! :wink:
left to right
.375"
300gr Swift A-frame, 300gr Norma Oryx
.284"
160gr Nosler Partition, 150gr Swift Scirocco, 160gr Swift A-frame, 175gr TBBC
.277" (270wsm) 150gr Norma Oryx, 140gr Nosler AccuBond
.277" (270 win) 140gr Nosler AccuBond
Scotty, if things pan out, and you can make it, I'll seeya in Newfoundland pal :wink:
Lou

Fascinating collection, Lou. A wealth of information for those willing to weigh what they are seeing.

DrMike":2gz1ht3q said:
Fascinating collection, Lou. A wealth of information for those willing to weigh what they are seeing.
Thanks Mike :grin: ...I'm not done yet, I'm not really a big fan of monolithic bullets, that's why I haven't tried any yet? with that being said, I know they work great, but I much prefer the lead core style bullets like the nosler Partition and or the high performing bonded bullets in the picture above.I'm just itching to try the 300gr Partition this week, this or the 300gr Oryx well be my bullet in September for Black Bear, shots well be only from 40-50yds, so I want a bullet that's going to open up very fast, stay together, and exit with a large hole leaving a good size blood trail if needed,
Lou

The monolithic bullets will look quite similar to the TBBC as far as weight retention and expansion. I really miss the TBBC; wish I had a larger selection to work with since they are no longer available.

DrMike":2bll4yyy said:
The monolithic bullets will look quite similar to the TBBC as far as weight retention and expansion. I really miss the TBBC; wish I had a larger selection to work with since they are no longer available.
I agree Mike, the TBBC was an awesome bullet, long solid shank, and great bonding and expansion.Federal premium makes them now, they say it's improved from the original, but it's to bad they don't sell the bullets alone for reloading.That 175gr TBBC came from a Black Bear I shot quartering towards me, I took out his shoulder and the bullet was found in the hide of the opposite leg. It only lost 5grs while going through about 4 ft of Bruin.

Yup! No more TBBC as components. I have a couple of boxes of 175 grain 7mm TBBC which I parcel out for my 7RM.

I have a 338 225 TBBC from my old man's brown bear. I will get it weighed up and posted pretty quickly though. I also have a 375 bullet the guide gave my Dad as well. Both of them are very impressive bullets.

Any of you all ever used any of the old Bitteroot Bonded Core bullets? I always heard great things about them.

Back