7mm rem mag 175gr loads

baltz526

Handloader
Sep 25, 2005
i have a fast twist barrel on my 7mm, it starts getting accurite with 160gr bullets. so i'm going to the 175 gr. i bought 2 bullets to try. the 175gr Partition and the sierra 175gr btsp. for years i have been using h4831 in the 7mm rem mag, but right now i have a jug of rl22. with the sierra bullet case capacity is limited somewhat. i have some test rounds loaded. the goal i have is 2900fps out of my 26" pacnor barrel. i did a search here, nothing poped up in the first few pages. this will be an elk load on the desert, in a area i passed on a big bull at 535yds . a close shot will be over 250yds, so this tag i'll be packing the 7mm. my long range rifle

Reloader 19, H4831SC and IMR7828 should produce 2900 plus out of 26" barrel, if you don't get the results your looking for with Reloader 22. In my 7mm Rem Mag (Winchester model 70) Reloader 19 produces the highest velocity but H4831SC and IMR7828 provide the best accuracy (Sierra 175 gr).

Reloader 22 has produced great results with Speer 145 and Hornady 154gr.

The one and only bull elk I've ever shot, a nice 6x6, was felled by a single 175 grain Nosler Partition scooting out at a tad over 2900 fps from my 24" 7mm Rem mag. Good combo.

I found the Sierra to be a little more accurate from my rifle, but wanted the performance of the Partition, so I chose that bullet. Got complete penetration, and a quick one-shot kill on the bull. Range was about 180 yards.

Follow Nosler's manual with that Reloader 22 and you should at least approach 2900 fps. The high BC of those long 175's makes long-range shooting a pleasure, they have minimal wind drift and are generally quite accurate. I think it's one of the best, and most under-appreciated combinations available.

Regards, Guy

I have used a 7 mm RM for almost two decades. My favorite loads use either a 175 grain TBBC, a 160 CT FS, or a 160 grain TSX. I have only shot one moose with this caliber, but I have shot a number of large black bears and a number of moose. The FS load consists of 66 grains of RL22 and a R9.5M primer launching a 160 grain Fail Safe. I bought a good supply of Fail Safe bullets, so I will not soon run out. I suspect that you can still find some at various suppliers. This load consistently shoots sub-MOA and has a velocity of about 3050 fps. Alternatively, I have shot 160 grain TSX with Fed 215 primers igniting 67 grains of RL25 for a velocity of 2975 fps and sub-MOA groups. I developed a load for 175 grain TBBC with WXR, and though I bought myself a good supply of the powder, it is rare to find some in some small stores in the back country. Also, I have an excellent load for 175 grain Nosler PT using H870. Again, if you don't already have H870, you aren't likely to find it. It is just such challenges that provide entertainment, permitting me to constantly look for the next great load. Currently, I am getting some excellent groups and fine velocities with 150 grain Swift Sciroccos and 67.5 grains of RL22 ignited with R9.5M primers (sub-MOA at ~3100 fps).

Take a look at this data for Accurate Magpro - I don't know how it shoots accuracy wise, but it sure is smoking when it leaves the barrel.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/PerC ... data(Rifle)/284Cal(7.21mm)/7mm%20Remington%20Magnum%20pages%20247%20and%20248.pdf

Scroll down to page three of the .pdf, and you'll see the Magpro data seperate from everything else. It's a great powder, and meters well in measures, too.

my 870 supply is down to a couple ounces. if it ever warms up here, i'll get out to test. i realy like the profile of the sierra 175gr btsp. and think the 1:9" barrel will like them. i have tried the 160gr accubonds, they shot fine, but not what this rifle is capable of, in accuracy. for killing elk, heavy bullets are needed. IMHO so i'll start with the sierra, then test the Partition. closest to 1/2" moa wins

I'm not a fan of the 175gr Partition. It's just too sturdy for the velocities it shoot at. In my experience it hold together TOO good even on elk. I've had much better luck with the 160gr AccuBond.

I agree, the 160 gr AB is a great choice in the 7mmRM.
If you need more bullet, go with the 160 gr PT.

JD338

Back