7mm Rem Mag Advice

Another test today. Temp 32F.
The same loads with different RL-22. and 65.5 160 AB - 2725 average???
with 66 gr - 2810 fps average???.

My 168 VLD load with 73gr of Retumbo 3045 fps average! Accurate 1/2 inch at 100 yards!!
New battery and chrono works well. Interesting, I guess my next try is 160 AB with Retumbo?
My new Sako 85 on 7mm mag needs more of RL-22 or different powder.
Vodekz

The bearing surface between those two bullets is night and day. The VLD has a significantly smaller bearing surface than that of the 160gr AccuBond. Therefore it has a lot less resistance going down the barrel.

This isn't to say that something isn't up with your load, but where did you come up with using 66 grains for that bullet? I certainly hope you don't say because on the Alliant website they list 160 grain speer bullets at 65 grains.

Do yourself a favor and call Alliant...they have a guy there that is very good with the load data and just an overall technical info guy for Alliant....call him and explain what is happening and see what he says. He is good

1-800-276-9337

vodekzz":2xgajn2c said:
Another test today. Temp 32F.
The same loads with different RL-22. and 65.5 160 AB - 2725 average???
with 66 gr - 2810 fps average???.

My 168 VLD load with 73gr of Retumbo 3045 fps average! Accurate 1/2 inch at 100 yards!!
New battery and chrono works well. Interesting, I guess my next try is 160 AB with Retumbo?
My new Sako 85 on 7mm mag needs more of RL-22 or different powder.
Vodekz

You must have the slowest lot of RL22 ever produced! :p

FOTIS":2w8v0vcx said:
You must have the slowest lot of RL22 ever produced! :p

Without a doubt...

On that note, has anyone noticed, that Western Powders is the new importer of Norma MRP powders. They are packaging it in the small AA type cans... I will be trying some of it when I see it.

I saw the add in the latest Handloader magazine..

I will find the way to let 160 AB fly at 3000 fps. I have two different lots of Rl-22 and they do the same velocity???? It must be Wisconsin weather! :lol:
I do have Norma MRP and VV N560 to try next.
Also I called Alliant. Thank you for phone number,
Vodekz

MRP is supposed to be awesome in the 7RM. Might have to give it a try, now that Western is importing the Norma powders.

I would love to try some MRP but finding it is almost impossible. If Western imports it, it just might be worth a look see. I did not see it listed on their web site though?

OU812":gq94q6io said:
I would love to try some MRP but finding it is almost impossible. If Western imports it, it just might be worth a look see. I did not see it listed on their web site though?

It was in an ad in the latest Handloaders magazine Bill. It's even going to come in the little AA type cans.

SJB358":12mi1966 said:
OU812":12mi1966 said:

It was in an ad in the latest Handloaders magazine Bill. It's even going to come in the little AA type cans.

Did another search and found exactly what your saying, Accurate, Norma MRP powder. Might be fun to try in the 8mm. If I remember correctly MRP is just a better grade of RL22.

8f072fa3-9a6b-4c60-899f-0af6cf55ad46_zpsbedd44c3.jpg

Yup, it looks a little faster, but yeah, pretty similar. I know I will try it. I love RL22! IMR7828 is almost identical in everything I have run RL22 in as well. Both of them are always very close as well.

MRP was a standout in the 308 Norma Mag I had (not surprisingly) it would be great in any similar size 7mm or 300 Mag that's for sure.

Bruce Mc":1j32h9op said:
If I recall, Norma MRP and Alliant Reloder 22 are one in the same.

Bruce I'm thinking the same thing but, I also understand it to be that MRP is a higher grade of the same powder.

Bill

OU812":3ndjke2i said:
Bruce Mc":3ndjke2i said:

Bruce I'm thinking the same thing but, I also understand it to be that MRP is a higher grade of the same powder.

Bill

That is what I thought as well. It does seem a little faster, overall on projections, but it could have just been the lot tested. I hear, MRP has less lot to lot variance. I have never had the problem, but this thread brings up a good lesson for that.

SJB358":2ir5q5v8 said:
OU812":2ir5q5v8 said:
Bruce Mc":2ir5q5v8 said:

Bill

That is what I thought as well. It does seem a little faster, overall on projections, but it could have just been the lot tested. I hear, MRP has less lot to lot variance. I have never had the problem, but this thread brings up a good lesson for that.

If MRP does have tighter lot to lot variations that would be great as I have had lot to lot variation issues with RL22. Still I really like RL22 as it seems to work very well in so many calibers.

I am betting that Norma controls lot to lot variation better than Alliant does. I have not used MRP for at least 30 years. You could not get it here for many years.

I will give it a whirl when I see it.. I would gladly replace RL22 if MRP worked as well, with tighter variance. I bet it would be slick in the WBY's..

I use MRP in my 6.5x55 for deer hunting and it is about like RL-22 but it looks more stable.
Why I bought RL-22 becasue it cost less. MRP 48 gr with 140 AB at my sweede is very accurate at 2630 FPS from 22 inch barrel. I remember on warm day 80 F compared the same load of RL-22, RL-22 showed more velocity. Something around 2780 Fps !!!!! but no pressure sign in my 6.5x55.
I stayed for my hunting load with MRP at 2630 Fps. I dont like to panic!!! :shock:
Vodekz

Back