7mm Rem Mag project

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Now I know its traditionally correct to get the donor rifle action first before getting into any kind of custom rifle project. But I have broken the rules...again. Haha

Got a Winchester Model 70 New Haven 7mm Rem Mag barrel 26" long that was all lined up with a donor rifle but have since sold the donor rifle which was a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless New Haven rifle. The 7mm barrel is stainless as well.

I was thinking of picking up a Mauser 98 or Springfield 03 action from the second hand gun store locally for cheap and then getting them both cerakoted to the same color. I think the Mauser action would look nicer personally though I long to have a Springfield 03 rifle in the house someday.

This is my 2012 project as I still have two or three projects going on...to wit a new mainspring, grip, and forend for my T/C Contender, Stock refinish and kick pad fitting to a JC Higgins 20 gauge which belonged to my Great Grandfather, and stocking up on my supply of 300 WSM rounds, one trip to Texas in December, and deer and elk season yet for this year so thats why I plan to put it off til next year.

Input please...was going to get a walnut stock with the Classic Monte Carlo meets European raised panels look. My Great Uncle had a 7x61 Sharpe and Hart Magnum that one of my cousins ended up with that had been built in the early 60's that had this look. Thats kind of what I was going for with a bit more modern cartridge.

I have always thought that the 7x61 Sharp and Hart cartridge was only commercially available as chambered by Schutz and Larson (Denmark) in their Model 54 bolt action rifle which was marketed by Sharp and Hart for awhile in this country?

If so, this action design with rebated locking lugs would not adapt into a standard Mauser, Springfield or Winchester Mod 70 action very easily without major welding, remachining and modification. Maybe I am not sure exactly what you are trying to do with the action design?

Yeah the barrel I have is 7mm Rem Mag off of a Win 70 and I want to put it onto a Mauser Action. The cosmetics of stock from the 7x61 that my Great Uncle had is what I am trying to duplicate somewhat. Sorry for the confusion, its working for a corporation that makes me sometimes talk for 15 minutes and making the confusion worse or without saying a damned thing...haha.

Just to wit, my Uncles rifle isnt a Schultz and Larsen, its a custom job from the 1960's built on a 98 Mauser, looks a lot like the Husquvarnas but had more customizations to it.

I love my M70 7 rem mag but if I were going to build a custom rifle in 7mm it would definitely be a 280 AI, without a doubt. 7 mag performance from a standard long action with no feeding issues or real modifications would be awesome! There's my vote.

The .280 AI is certainly a viable option and is the cartridge of choice in many custom rifle setups. I own a .280 Rem and a 7mm Rem Mag both of which are good rifles and are quite accurate. My 7mm Mag has laid down many deer at longer ranges and is a one shot killer on deer since I got my first one in 1964 but so are all of the 7mm mags, including the 7x61mm S&H.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably pick a 7mm mag without the belt and just have one rifle, probably a 7mm WSM, and be done with it. Being a handloader, case life is important to me and I prefer to headspace on the shoulder datum and not a belt at the base of the case.

I do not use the 175 gr bullets in the 7mm and this also affects my choice. I use 160 gr Partitions as my primary load for the 7mm Rem Mag, so the diminished case capacity of the longer 175 bullets does not affect my rifle choice at all.

My 7mm Rem Mag is a Mark X, Mauser donor action with a Douglas barrel, Gentry cocking piece with (Model 70 type) safety, Dayton-Traister trigger, Williams one-piece bottom metal and AAA Select, English walnut stock. The scope is a Zeiss Diavari, 5-15x42. I had the rifle built in 1976 by a stockmaker who is no longer in business. This rifle is fully hand bedded and has been shooting sub MOA groups for 35 years. The only change that I would make is ro use a non-belted case.

CopyofPicture002.jpg

CopyofPicture001.jpg

Charlie thats beautifullllllllllllll

film, I can sell you a stainless donor action for $550 if you would like. Its a magnum bolt face and is nice.

I would get a 700 action and go with the 280 AI, if it was me. I just this week got my 280, 98 back from the smith and once I get the previous 3 rifles squared away I will try shooting it again.

OldTrader - that's a terrific rifle you've shown us. Wow! It's perfect in my eyes!

Filmjunkie - I think you could build a dandy 7mm Rem mag on a Mauser action. Why not? It's a terrific cartridge, very well suited for western big game. I've seen excellent results from 140, 160, 168 and 175 grain bullets from a 7mm Rem mag. It's one of several cartridges that are very, very easy to live with from a hunter's or from a handloader's viewpoint.

With a good 7mm Rem mag or .30-06 type cartridge in a good Mauser, a guy could pretty much hunt the world - excepting those great big critters here and there!

Best of luck with your 2012 project! Guy

I was thinking of picking up a Mauser 98 or Springfield 03 action from the second hand gun store locally for cheap and then getting them both cerakoted to the same color. I think the Mauser action would look nicer personally though I long to have a Springfield 03 rifle in the house someday.

I will stay with Mauser. You can pick up a Yugo or a Brno action or better yet an Argentine if you can find one and it will be perfect for a 7MM Remington Magnum. Here's my friend Frank 257 Weatherby built around a Yugo action.

Noslerdata006.jpg

Noslerdata007.jpg

8 shot group at 110 yards with 115 grain Barnes TSX.

Franksrifle002.jpg

One of my 7RMs in an Interarms MK X. I don't like the stock that's on it, a cheap synthetic, Ram Line maybe? What I should do, once I get my other projects sorted out, is find a nice drop in walnut stock for it. I just have a hard time getting too excited about the chambering. Maybe screw a .416 Taylor barrel on it?

BK":2qk8619p said:
One of my 7RMs in an Interarms MK X. I don't like the stock that's on it, a cheap synthetic, Ram Line maybe? What I should do, once I get my other projects sorted out, is find a nice drop in walnut stock for it. I just have a hard time getting too excited about the chambering. Maybe screw a .416 Taylor barrel on it?

I really like the 7mm Mags. It ws my first centerfire cartridge and like others that got a 30-06 as a first, I could have hunted forever not really knowing I needed more. With 140s they are very flat and with the 160's and 175's and good loads, I would be very happy roaming anywhere on this continent.

Oldtrader3":2qk8619p said:
The .280 AI is certainly a viable option and is the cartridge of choice in many custom rifle setups. I own a .280 Rem and a 7mm Rem Mag both of which are good rifles and are quite accurate. My 7mm Mag has laid down many deer at longer ranges and is a one shot killer on deer since I got my first one in 1964 but so are all of the 7mm mags, including the 7x61mm S&H.

If I had it to do over again, I would probably pick a 7mm mag without the belt and just have one rifle, probably a 7mm WSM, and be done with it. Being a handloader, case life is important to me and I prefer to headspace on the shoulder datum and not a belt at the base of the case.

I do not use the 175 gr bullets in the 7mm and this also affects my choice. I use 160 gr Partitions as my primary load for the 7mm Rem Mag, so the diminished case capacity of the longer 175 bullets does not affect my rifle choice at all.

My 7mm Rem Mag is a Mark X, Mauser donor action with a Douglas barrel, Gentry cocking piece with (Model 70 type) safety, Dayton-Traister trigger, Williams one-piece bottom metal and AAA Select, English walnut stock. The scope is a Zeiss Diavari, 5-15x42. I had the rifle built in 1976 by a stockmaker who is no longer in business. This rifle is fully hand bedded and has been shooting sub MOA groups for 35 years. The only change that I would make is ro use a non-belted case.

CopyofPicture002.jpg

CopyofPicture001.jpg

Charlie, I really like that 7RM! I know I have said it before, but it is just perfect for a great all around rifle. The new 7WSM I have taken under my wing is shaping up to be a very good rifle as well, and I do like the WSM cases a bunch. I really think this 7 got off to a bad start, but it offers alot of performance in a short case and in a rifle with a decent magazine, you can seat the longer bullets like the 160 AB's and 175gr PT's out sufficiently enough to get some very good speeds out of them. So far, I have gotten the 160's up to 3100 and acquired excellent accuracy and the 175's seem to go mid 2900's with Retumbo. Matter of fact, it works so well with the 175's it has kinda dulled my intentions of getting another 300 Mag. With 175's in the 2900's it really does everything I could want a 300WSM to do. Plus, those 175's have incredible BC and SD numbers.[/quote]

Desert Fox":2qk8619p said:

I will stay with Mauser. You can pick up a Yugo or a Brno action or better yet an Argentine if you can find one and it will be perfect for a 7MM Remington Magnum. Here's my friend Frank 257 Weatherby built around a Yugo action.

Noslerdata006.jpg

Noslerdata007.jpg

8 shot group at 110 yards with 115 grain Barnes TSX.

Franksrifle002.jpg

DF, that is a 257 WBY I could really like! That rifle is very nice. Your buddy did really well with that build. It is sharp

Im sold on Mauser 98, if you get a commercial action, maybe interarms or something a la,
my last build up lasted 2 weeks with me a Mauser 98 Yugo chambered in .270WSM,
modified bolt face, rails, extractor finished nice and accurate and the most dependable under
any conditions.
lasted me 2 weeks we did a nice deal on it.
Have to build another.

Scotty, there's nothing wrong with it, just doesn't really do anything for me. Kinda like how you feel about the '06. I really should get a scope mounted on it a give it a whirl. It could be a 1/4" gun!

BK":3jdxedvb said:
Scotty, there's nothing wrong with it, just doesn't really do anything for me. Kinda like how you feel about the '06. I really should get a scope mounted on it a give it a whirl. It could be a 1/4" gun!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I am kinda the same way with the 7RM as I worked with it so much in the past. It has been awhile since I have done anything with it, so maybe it is why it is seeming so exciting to goof around with it again. Scotty

Well, if you were closer I'd let you play around with mine. At least the Savage has a scope on it, even though it's never been zeroed. :roll:

beretzs":2pcz5qkz said:
I really like the 7mm Mags.

I do, too. I think the 7mm WSM is the most interesting of the short-fats. And I would love to have a 7mm SAUM, 7x61 S&H or a 7mm Weatherby. The RUM is interesting, the STW a little less so. I just am indifferent to the Remington 7mm Magnum. Maybe it stems from an argument in first grade with a kid named Sean about whether the 7mm RM or the '06 is a better round. Yes, I am a sore loser. :oops:

Thanks guys, this rifle and my custom .270 Model 70 are the two custom rifles that I have. Both have given me great accuracy and service for years.

BK":vig95f7s said:
beretzs":vig95f7s said:
I really like the 7mm Mags.

I do, too. I think the 7mm WSM is the most interesting of the short-fats. And I would love to have a 7mm SAUM, 7x61 S&H or a 7mm Weatherby. The RUM is interesting, the STW a little less so. I just am indifferent to the Remington 7mm Magnum. Maybe it stems from an argument in first grade with a kid named Sean about whether the 7mm RM or the '06 is a better round. Yes, I am a sore loser. :oops:

It's the 7mm Remington Mag of course. What a silly argument!

BK":2t1x7jx9 said:
Tell that to a hard-headed six year old.

I think I had it planned out to get the big 7 when I was about 6, maybe 7! I have always loved rifles. Hard to get it out of me. Accurate rifles are just a sight to behold. Scotty

Never get in an argument with firearms Philistines. They will only sour you on what really matters.

Back