7RM M70 Project

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
After I sold the 300Weatherby I picked up an M70 Winchester in 7mm Remington Magnum
The M70 came in a plastic factory stock and I planned on putting in a knew stock from the start so I ordered a laminated stock from Boyd's inleted and finished since I wanted it checkered and basically a drop in which is but it isn't. Over all fit actually is good considering and the laser checkering isn't half bad either though I thought it would be a little sharper. I had to open up the forearm so the barrel would be free floated since the barrel channel was cut a little off center. Boyd's decided the barrel channel need the extra wood removed from the bottom of the channel and I wasn't expecting to see a deep slot cut into the bottom of the channel where it can catch and hold water and dirt.
I'll fill it in with epoxy when I bed it.
Here's some pictures for you to look at.

Attachments

• NCM_0399.JPG
    NCM_0399.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 468
  • NCM_0400.JPG
    NCM_0400.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 468
  • NCM_0390.JPG
    NCM_0390.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 468
  • NCM_0391.JPG
    NCM_0391.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 468
  • NCM_0392.JPG
    NCM_0392.JPG
  • NCM_0393.JPG
    NCM_0393.JPG
Some more pictures of the barrel channle and inletting.

Attachments

• NCM_0402.JPG
    NCM_0402.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 465
  • NCM_0403.JPG
    NCM_0403.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 465
  • NCM_0394.JPG
    NCM_0394.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 465
  • NCM_0395.JPG
    NCM_0395.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 465
  • NCM_0396.JPG
    NCM_0396.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 465
That looks nice TD. I'd like to get a Boyd's for my Rem 783. I'd probably just get the basic model and glass bed it and be done. Do you like how it feels and shoots with the Boyd's? Thanks. BN

Was that the Shadow Hunter? If it was, I have the same model and have been wanting to change the stock too. I'd be interested to see the steps you take to get the action in. Are you going to pillar bed or aluminum block? I've only built AR's, still searching for a bolt stock upgrade and bedding project. I'd like to start with an unfinished stock and do the sanding, checkering, etc., myself.

Looks nice!

Rodger those Boyd's stock look to be well made!! I am looking forward to seeing that 7mm mag when it is finished!! Have you got glass for it?

Blessings,
Dan

BretN":3k1hmoqe said:
That looks nice TD. I'd like to get a Boyd's for my Rem 783. I'd probably just get the basic model and glass bed it and be done. Do you like how it feels and shoots with the Boyd's? Thanks. BN
I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet and won't till I finish the bedding but it feels really good setting in the wood as is. They have new colors out now and they made them available after I ordered my stock :( or it may have looked a little different.
Wyo7200":3k1hmoqe said:
Was that the Shadow Hunter? If it was, I have the same model and have been wanting to change the stock too. I'd be interested to see the steps you take to get the action in. Are you going to pillar bed or aluminum block? I've only built AR's, still searching for a bolt stock upgrade and bedding project. I'd like to start with an unfinished stock and do the sanding, checkering, etc., myself.

Looks nice!
I'm not sure if it was the Shadow hunter or not, the new stock is the Premium model which is an upgrade that allows you to get the full wrap forearm checkering and the forearm is wider, very similar to a Winchester factory take off that I have on the 35 Whelen AI. The plan is to pillar bed it and so far I have had to relieve the barrel channel to free float the barrel but with Deer season here everything is on hold till after the first of the year. Then I will be adding more info and pictures. (y)

Looks great. Should be a shooting machine when your all done with it.

Back