870 Receiver holes/base screws not meshing properly..

lhsako

Handloader
Jan 12, 2012
The base screws provided with a True glow base for the 870 are too tight and wont work. I Dont want to force them of course. I realize that Remington goofed up when it was manufactured and/or the PRC made screws are out of spec.
Regardless, what are my options in your experience? Thanks

I'd try another screw first . maybe true glow packaged the wrong ones or they are bad screws . if they still don't work you'll have to try and either figure out what thread remington is using , or if these are the correct screws , run a tap in to clean up the holes .

I tried different screws. The middle hole is the worst. What size are most "standard" base screws? I'll get a tap or have my gunsmith do it when I have a Good pad installed.

the screws that I know of are 6-48 and 8-40 . I doubt you can run to a hardware store and buy a tap , you'll probably have to order it online , or get your gunsmith to help you out . I have a note in with my extra screws & rings , #6 screws will measure about .135" measuring on the threads . the #8 screws will measure about .165" measuring on the threads . a 1/8 allen wrench will fit in a #8 hole , it will not fit in a #6 hole .

They are 6-48 holes.This weapon has 6-48 holes. The screws from truglow are 1.35" OD. Are the 6-48 screws you guys have measure that as well? Old base screws I have do.

They are 6-48 holes.This weapon has 6-48 holes. The screws from truglow are 1.35" OD. Are the 6-48 screws you guys have measure that as well? Old base screws I have do.
Yeah, 1.35”, that would be a tight squeeze 😂.. maybe find a tap online and chase the threads, they may have been done with a worn out tap at the factory.

I had a similar headache once, and it's no fun. So, here's a little secret I stumbled upon – scrooz.com.au. They're not your typical online store; they're like the Jedi masters of screws and bolts. I'd suggest giving them a look-see. When I faced a situation like yours, they had the perfect screws, and they fit like a glove. So, there's no need to force anything, which is a huge relief, right? Plus, they've got some helpful advice on their site if you're unsure about which screws will do the trick. It saved me from some serious DIY disasters.

Last edited:
Back