8mm Ballistic Tips? @ 8mm Mauser speeds?

They will work great at 8 mm Mauser velocities.

JD338

Depending on which action you have your 8x57 in, these should be great. I'm getting 2720fps out of mine in a Remington 700 Classic. Please be aware that if you're shooting an older military rifle, you should have the bore slugged as some of these were .318" and some were .323". If you were to fire the BT in the smaller bore, you're looking at some potential catastrophic failures.

The 8x57JS Mauser in military loads actually shot a 153gr bullet faster than the 150 gr. bullet the U.S. 30-06 shot. 2800 fps. or so vrs 2770 fps.
It is a fantastic deer load if you buy or load to the JS potential. The model 88 mauser was the .318 bore and much lower pressure. If it's a GEW98 JS it's the .323 we call 8MM. With 150 gr bullets it will do 2800 fps+ with no problem and is equal to the 30-06 in every way. My first rifle and my and my son's first rifle was and 8MM. Both of our first deer fell to it.
Greg

There are very few .318 bores left. Most of them were rebarreled by their respective militaries back in the 20's and 30's. I have an old commisar rifle, and even it had been rebarreled to .323.

dubyam":1zje9oqy said:
I'm getting 2720fps out of mine in a Remington 700 Classic.

Mine is a 700 Classic as well. I've had it for awhile, and thought I might use it this deer season.

I have a Handloader magazine in my stuff somewhere that did a load work up for the Rem. 700 classic and they found that the Nosler 200 gr AccuBond was the most accurate bullet with the loads they tried. If memory serves me correct it did pretty good with the 180 Ballistic tip also. It did well with the 195 Hornady also. It seems that these rifles liked the heaver weight bullets over the 150 to 170 grs. I am down in my back right now and can not bend down enough to get to the bottom shelf where this magazine is stacked or I would dig it out and give you the loads.

God smiled on me and I was able to get down and find the Handloader magazine.
They did not try the 180 ballistic tip but used the 185 Remington SP.
The most accurate load was with the 200 gr AccuBond 53 grs H-414, Remington 9 1/2 primer, 200 gr Nosler AccuBond 2,544 fps, accuracy was average for three 3 shots groups @ 100 yards 0.590 inch, Not sure which cases was used. It stated that Remington and Winchester cases were used and both shot the same loads about the same. No OAL was given either.
This rifle did prefer the 195 to 200 gr bullets over everything lighter. They used 17 different loads with these heaver bullets and all of them together for 17 loads averaged .940 inch groups.

WW 748 powder also shot very accurate with 195 Hornady, 200 Nosler Partition and Accubonds.

You should be able to get the 180 Ballistic tip to shoot around 2,650 fps and it will make a good deer killer.

Back