9.3 250AB

Yeah, I've done fine with the 1-16 CDL but the Newton is a 12 twist. Both work very well. JES does great work.

Dang, sorry Jake didn't mean to but looks like I stole your post. Shouldn't have mentioned the 35 Whelen and I know better. :roll:

truck driver":39tfgvsl said:
Dang, sorry Jake didn't mean to but looks like I stole your post. Shouldn't have mentioned the 35 Whelen and I know better. :roll:

It's fine just remember the 9.3 is a Bigger and Better Whelen!!! I can't complain with JES's work. Think in two weeks you will have a brand new 12 twist Whelen. Get'er Done!!

nvbroncrider":3vdz9cm1 said:
truck driver":3vdz9cm1 said:

It's fine just remember the 9.3 is a Bigger and Better Whelen!!! I can't complain with JES's work. Think in two weeks you will have a brand new 12 twist Whelen. Get'er Done!!

The cowboy does make good sense....

Oh Boy decisions decisions decisions, I really need to stop suffering other web sites I was reading over on the Shooters Forum about the comparison of the 35 Whelen vs the 35 Whelen AI and some one there said it was a duplicate of the 9.3X62 with more bullet selections[quote-unquote]. Though only 3-4% increase in powder capacity the advantages come from less brass stretch and longer brass life plus a more efficient powder burn.

I'm thinking that with the increased bullet diameter that this is where the 9.3X62 beats the standard Whelen but gives nothing up to the AI version. with the 1-12 twist using heavier bullets the AI version is it's equal.

The 9.3 has plenty of good bullets to hunt with. The Whelen Improved is neat as well. I do you'd have a hard time or need anymore than either could offer. I do like the 250 AB option in the 9.3 though. Talk about a bullet with a lot going for it.

Yeah. I don't know how much gain you will see with a Whelen AI might not be worth the extra price of the dies. But either will do you really well!

Hard to beat the standard 9.3x62 and 35 Whelen, not much room in between those two at all and both are classics. That 250 gr AB is an outstanding bullet, Nosler developed the perfect bullet in my opinion.......

I'll give JES a call if I can find the number in my computer. I know I have it just don't remember where.

Not only the 9.3x62 but the 9.3x74R which I have and the 9.3x64 and 9.3x66 (.375 Norma) as well! Can't beat that with a stick. My 9.3x74R is within a hair's breadth of the same ballistics as the 9.3x62, ain't it wonderful?

Jake thanks for posting the link to Norma on the 9.3X62 that was a very interesting read.
If I were to get to hunt Africa that would surely be the one to take. Actually I think it would make a great Alaskan round for big bear.

Jake,

"Here's the 250 AB outta my 9.3X62. I put in the jugs at 15 yards I'm taking a guess on velocity at 2500 according to QL estimates. I caught it in the 6th jug but it did cut the 7th. At its narrowest it measured .606" and max was .676" it weighed 195.8 gr for 78.32% retention."

I tested that same bullet two days ago out of a 9.3x64 with a muzzle velocity of 2746 fps. Jugs at about the same distance; caught in the 6th jug too, it cut the rear of # 6 but did not open # 7. At it's widest it measured .748" and weighed 173.8 gr for 69.52% retention.

My bullet was traveling an estimated 250 fps faster and would account for the larger diameter mushroom and more weight shed. Still managed about the same penetration. I'm very impressed with what nosler is offering here.

chs

That's a great comparison Chuck. I see about the same between the 225 out of the Whelen and then 250FPS faster from the Newton.

I am really curious what the 286 gr Partitions would do to that stack of jugs? Especially in the 9.3x66, it should be a hammer? If the 250 with only .260 SD will go through 6 jugs, what will the 286 gr PT will do with an SD of .307?

I know Charlie I'm slow just haven't got to it had too many things going maybe this weekend.

Back