A day Alberta Moose hunting!

super-7

Handloader
Jun 27, 2009
Well with the changes the Government made to the moose hunting I the province I am no longer able to get an OTC archery tag..
Which means I'm waiting to be drawn for a bull moose in my home WMU I'm on year 8 , been hopeful since year 5 !!
So I must live vicariously thru others. Last year it was my nephew and 2 buddy's that had draws none bowhunt.. But we did good in rifle season.
So this year quite by chance I ran into an acquaintance that not only bowhunts but was drawn for bull in the zone NW of me . About a 45 min drive. So my sister best friend from highschool it is her husband , I have only met him 2 or 3 times at family functions at my sisters place , always had good conversations and such but that's about as far as it went.
Well I found out thru my sister he had a bull tag , and no partner so we made a plan and yesterday I met him up north at first light and we had a great day of moose hunting . Even though he never managed to release an arrow he came to full draw twice and was a hair away from sending one but both times a ethical shot didn't present it self and both times he was left a little shakey by the experience.
I parked my truck and jumped in with him and we drove to a swampy area where he had seen a bull and cow a few days earlier, we hiked in a 1/2 mile or so and he got set up , I carried on up the hill for another 50 yrds and got settled.. The wind was a NE wind which to be honest is odd for our area. I did my best come and get me cow moose impression waited 10 and done it again this time followed by a few gluttural grunts .. Well a young bull came out of the swampy area crossed the opening just out of range and came up the hill to the east of SP( initials) as SP came to full draw and tried to find an opening thru the scrub at 20 yrds the bull got a Wiff of him and bailed with no shot available .. We learned 2 things on that run , my calling while rusty can still bring in a bull , 2 we must set up where we force the animal to stay up wind of us.. Had that bull come up the left side of the hill he would have had an more open but slightly further 30 yrd shot.
Back to the truck for a coffe and a game plan..
We moved about 5 miles north to another section he had permission on and we didn't even get out of the truck and we spotted a cow and a bull bedded down on a side hill, with some of the leaves fallen there outline was distinct.. Once again no way of closing the distance because of the wind.. So we tried something a bit more unorthodox , I sent him around the backside of the hill and told him to find a main trail leading in and out of the bush , which he did in 15 mins he texted me he was in position . I put down my binos and started walking with wind at my back directly towards the pair of moose , I'm not sure if the two were having a love Fest allnight and were tired or they just didn't see me as a threat, I got to within 20 yrds and finally the cow jumped up and head straight up the hill , at 15 yrds the bull stood up but didn't move , a snapped a few twigs and took a couple steps and he decided maybe he should follow the cow..
Well the cow trotted slowly by SP at 15 yrds he figured perfect , he went to full draw and waited them let down again cause the bull was that far behind. Then he heard the bull so once again he went to full draw the bull was at a brisk walk he put his pin on him and grunted expecting the bull to hesitate for a moment.. Wrong at the sound of the grunt I'm not sure what went thru the bulls mind but he hit the afterburners . Lol . SP couldn't believe it said it looked like he just grabbed another gear and went from a walk to a run in two steps..
We could only surmise at the sound of the grunt he figured he had better catch up to his girl before whom ever grunted does!!
After lunch action died off and the rest of the day was uneventful but fun. We hope to get out here again in the near future , maybe ill get some pics this time..

Sounds like a great day moose hunting. At this rate you're sure to score shortly.

Well we went back out yesterday in the snow , it was Canada's Thanksgiving and a holiday . So a quick turkey dinner with the family then I took off to meet up with SP at 2 PM in what we call the Birch Hills , in the zone where he has his tag drawn.
The wind was chilly and out of the west , we hiked back in where the first bull winded us last week , but went up the opposite side of the ridge. I set him up and then mosey'd up the hill another 50 yrds .
We settled in and let things quiet down , I raked the bush with a old shoulder blade and started grunting . We got an almost instant response , I waited 5 and gave a cow moan and in he came on a string . SP took a nice 30 yrd broadside shot , double lunged him. The bull made it 50 yrds down hill and into an opening we could actually get to with the truck.. That never happens the hunting gods were smiling down on us.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1476196598.031508.jpg

Sorry Camohunter hope this is not a salt in the wound type thread for you.

Congrats to the hunters! Good looking bull. And on Thanksgiving, at that!

Back