A little off topic. New Remingtons?

fwood

Beginner
Jul 15, 2011
Has anyone bought a new Remington 700 since they changed hands after the bankruptcy. If, so thoughts on quality and accuracy?

Picked one up as a donor, short action ADL, that I haven't done anything with yet, except take apart a few times and the piece on the trigger that engages the bolt release has loosened is and is misaligned, maybe I caught it on something but the trigger will be replaced anyway

I think they’re significantly better than what they were. I do gotta say that the jeweling on the bolt looks a little tacky though

Although I have always been a Remington fan, I haven't bought a Remington rifle in many years. Had a couple custom rifles built off the 700 action.
The most recent rifle purchases have been Nosler rifles and a Kimber Hunter.

JD338

did they fix the primary extraction issue on the new ones ?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Oh yeah....that little pesky problem that seemed to plague 700's for a several year window.

I don't recall exactly the problem I had incurred with the extractor on a XCRII I picked up but it was a problem.

A Gunsmith did a simple bend to the way it should be and all was golden...

Damn it I can't remember the exact symptom of it.

I've heard they were better now 🤷‍♂️ but I'm a Model 70 pre 64 guy through and through.

I bought one of the long range specials with the heavier barrel in .30-06 at Gunnies in Orem, Utah. Took the box home and started assembling. The barrel clearly had a bow or bend to it. I checked it with a level from the garage-sure enough it was bent. Took it back and the salesman gets me a new box-same problem, next box same problem. Attracted a lot of attention and pretty quick the manager is on the phone. Just happens the Remington sales rep is in the area and in 30 minutes he walks in. Sure enough bent. He looks miffed but makes no apology or attempt to make me happy. They weren’t run over or damaged, it was something done in the manufacturing process.
I own several Remingtons but they are older and I won’t buy another one. It’s sad that every part of the company seems to be in some form of ruin.

I did some hard thinking about this trying to remember the issue.
The more I thought the more came back to me.
The bolt was ridiculously difficult to work with ammo. Factory, resized no matter. There was a an incredible gouge on the case head as well after cycling.
I remember seeing a pile of brass particles on the bolt face...
There may have been other symptoms as well but that came back to mind.
It was an extractor issue.
Matter of fact Remington sent me a new one I never installed as a friend of mine who is a gun Smith noticed the issue right away and took the bolt out.. went Abracadabra and all was good.
Filed it or bent it...i don't remember.
Whatever it was he fixed it.

After the 783 and the 770 , can the new ones be worse?
I have a 783 in 223 rem. While I will agree that it's not the best looking rifle(Mostly the trigger gaurd for me), it is at least pretty accurate. 1/2" groups with it's favored loads and about 1" with standard factory stuff.

I'm pretty much a PASS on Remington these days, too many other good options.

Wow, I wish some other American manufacturer would make some factory rifles based off the 700 at this point. So sad that a perfectly good rifle design is being wasted by poor manufacturing.

Are the Bergaras a 700 based action, or do they just have the same footprint? I seem to remember some similarity. They are made in Spain obviously though. I am kind of disappointed that I tend to think European rifles are better options in the under $1,000 range. Savages are good, but probably not as good as a Tikka I bet, Ruger could be good, but can't seem to make a magazine right.

Wow, I wish some other American manufacturer would make some factory rifles based off the 700 at this point. So sad that a perfectly good rifle design is being wasted by poor manufacturing.

Are the Bergaras a 700 based action, or do they just have the same footprint? I seem to remember some similarity. They are made in Spain obviously though. I am kind of disappointed that I tend to think European rifles are better options in the under $1,000 range. Savages are good, but probably not as good as a Tikka I bet, Ruger could be good, but can't seem to make a magazine right.
There are lots of Remington clone/spin-off actions being manufactured by smaller companies now. I have a couple Savages and they're OK, but the sear design is junky imo....

There are lots of Remington clone/spin-off actions being manufactured by smaller companies now. I have a couple Savages and they're OK, but the sear design is junky imo....

Yep. Good shooting rifles for the money generally, but they are what they are. Some things on them are hard to look past.

I really hope for the industries sake, that the Remington brand returns to putting in the effort to build quality rifles. It's not like they don't have a pedigree to work off of, and don't know how. Anybody can jump into the race to the bottom of who can build the cheapest functioning rifle. Not saying they can't have a cheap base model, but whoever's in charge needs to get back to proving and protecting the Remington brand. The kind of crap described above is at least part of the reason they went out of business the first time.

The only thing I would like from Remington is .458 jacketed 405 grain bullet that they used to sell to reloaders. Speer and Prvi is supposed to make a similar one but you have better chance of finding a Sasquatch. Hey Nosler you see this? 405 grain 45/70 jacketed soft point bullet would sell like hotcakes.

Back