A look at ballistics

remingtonman_25_06

Handloader
Nov 17, 2005
Some people seem to think some cartridges wont/dont/or cant kill deer or elk at 600-800 yards efficiently or effictively for that matter. For those that dont have a ballistics program theres free ones on the net. Try www.biggameinfo.com Plug in your numbers and it gives you the numbers out to 1500 yards in 10 yard increments if you want. Now we can all agree that you only need at most 1500lbs for elk and 1000 lbs for deer at the bullet impact. 1600fps is a good number for reliable expansion. Ok with those numbers set I'm gonna do some calculations for deer and elk, and the max range that the caliber would and could kill very well. The first will be my beloved 25-06. With a 115g btip with a BC of .450 and muzzle velocity of 3200fps. This is what it gives me for numbers. At 625 yards, it still has 1010 ft lbs, and still traveling along at 1989 fps. So that would make it a 625 yard deer killer reliably. Now lets take a 270 with say a 150g btip BC of .495 at 2900fps. At 700 yards, it still has 1018 ft lbs, and still traveling along at 1748 fps. So that particular .270 load gives me about 75 yards over my 25-06 for its max killing power for deer. Lets take my 300 RUM with a 210g vld at 3100fps with a BC of .640. Still has 1202 ft lbs at 1175 yards, and still going 1606 fps. Now that particular load for elk would run out of energy at 1500 lbs at around 975 yards. That 300 RUM load doubles the 25-06 max range for deer, and will still kill deer at about 1200 yards with a well placed shot, the numbers still meet the required criteria, do they not??? As you can see from my examples with a ballistics program, it will give you numbers farther then the reloading book will and will show you what your bullets going to have for energy and velocity way out there. It will allow you to make a decision based on what kinda performance your looking for. I tend to always look at the far side and ask myself if the cartridge I intend to use will kill deer at 600 yards or an elk at 800 yards. My deer cartridges are nothing extraordinary, just your standard 25-06 and 270. The so called magazine experts say these rounds should not be taking game at or past 300 yards. they are not considered long range deer calibers. But by my numbers, look at the ballistics, they still meet the criteria to 600 yards, for energy and velocity. So why would they not work out to that distance with a well placed shot is beyond me. None of the deer I ever shot at 500 yards knew what hit them with my 25-06 and that 115g btip loading. Maybe those expert gun writers need a detailed look at a ballistics program as well. Ballistic programs will open your eyes and see how your cartridges perform in a way you never thought was possible, only to extend your maximum range if thats what your looking for.

Lets look at a .243 with a 95g btip at 3100fps since were talking long range deer. It still has 1000lbs out to 375 yards, and traveling over 2000fps. Now most magazines I read say a .243 is at most, "marginal" for deer. In my eyes, 375 yards is a long ways off from being marginal, dont you think?? I dont think a 243 would have any problems taking some big bucks out to 375 yards with 1 well placed shot. Its all about numbers. Playing with cartridges and bullets on the ballistics charts will tell you what you need to know. What I'm trying to say is dont believe everything you read in the magazines. There just trying to sell you on somethign bigger and better when the truth is that standard calibers will take deer out to farther ranges then most can hit them.

Rem Man; I doubt any real shooter will argue that these cartridges have sufficient "oomph" to kill game way out there as you point out. Where we have a problem is the ease with which things can go wrong with your shot placement when you shoot on the long side of 500 yards. A wind current that you did not see/expect, the animal decides to move just as your sear falls, etc, etc. These factors are the ones that make shooting these very long ranges "iffy", and purposely taking them regularly invites a disaster. It also begs the question, why not move in closer and be absolutely sure that your kill will be humane? Most game animals at 350+ are not spooked, and the distance can be reduced. You claim you practice a lot, well, so do many on this forum, myself included. I shoot a lot of paper at 1000 yards, and compete at that distance. My best groups run to under 6" at 1000. Plenty accurate to take a deer or an elk. Would I actually shoot at an animal that far away? Never!! For the reasons stated above. You may think that it impresses people when you talk about your long range exploits on game. Well, you are correct, but if you knew what sort of an impression you are making, you would not be flattered!! Youth is a wonderful thing, use it wisely. Regards, Eagleye.

Eagle:

At the risk of starting a Major Civil war, I agree with you. I do not understand why someone would shoot something over 1000 yards away when the animal is NOT spooked or aware of the hunter. I do not get it. :?:

Sometimes I think they should call it Long-range shooting NOT hunting.

BTW this is NOT an attack on REM 25. This is just my opinion.

I understand your points of view very good. There just comes to a point where making a 300 yard shot becomes very easy. WHen one practices out to 500-600 yards regularly, a 300 yard shot is just simply put, easy. People make longer shots simply because its more of a challenge. I dont go looking for a 500-600 yard shot, but if it arises and I cant get closer, then i'll look at the situation and if eveyrthign seems right for me, I'll take it. That doesnt mean I'll pass up a 200 yard shot on a nice buck just because hes 200 yards, and look for another deer at 500-600 just because I want the shot at 500-600. I just like to prctice at the max distance I might take a shot, that way if it ever occurs, I will know what to do. and expect of myself and equipment. Personally, my goal is to take a deer or elk at 1000 yards. I will work towards this goal untill I achieve it. I know most dont think its hunting, but in my eyes, if its a packable firearm shooting off a bipod, if you can hit it, its hunting in my book. Not meaning to start another argument here, this is just simply my point of view. For the record, I"ve shot 2 elk at 512, and 525, and 1 deer at 602. Those shots took 1 shot each, and they were dead. All the rest of the animals have been either 250-450 yards. That includes deer, bears and elk. Not to mention all the yotes I've shot at 300-500. To me a long shot is 500 or more. ANything that is closer is pretty much a dead animal standing, in my sights. It takes a little more skill to shoot somethign past 500. This is just my point of view on things. I dont want to start another argument here. Just wanted to point out the ballistics that some standard cartridges have way out past normal 300 yard shooting distance for most people.

remingtonman_25_06":2rfujtmb said:
I dont go looking for a 500-600 yard shot, but if it arises and I cant get closer, then i'll look at the situation and if eveyrthign seems right for me, I'll take it.

I salute you for your honesty. This is what I believe also. I just do not believe that all the long range freaks have the same philosophy. The guys that piss me off immensley are the ones who go out on purpose and shoot at big game animals at 1000+ yards just to show off or best their buddies! :evil:

Rem Man; You have clarified your stand nicely, thanks. I agree with your philosophy, for the most part. I have shot game past 500 a few tyimes myself, but have not had the need in recent years. I shot two moose out past 500 with a 308 Norma Mag and the 180 Partition started at 3125. With the same rifle I upset a very nice muley at 575. All were one-shot
kills. I also have shot many varmints way way out, coyotes are easy to range with a rangefinder in winter against the snow, and make for great practice. My 264 Win has taken at lest 7 deer at 450-525, but it is a laser with that 140 started at close to 3300. Regards, Eagleye.

POP":3ilhqnly said:
remingtonman_25_06":3ilhqnly said:
I dont go looking for a 500-600 yard shot, but if it arises and I cant get closer, then i'll look at the situation and if eveyrthign seems right for me, I'll take it.

I salute you for your honesty. This is what I believe also. I just do not believe that all the long range freaks have the same philosophy. The guys that piss me off immensley are the ones who go out on purpose and shoot at big game animals at 1000+ yards just to show off or best their buddies! :evil:

I agree with you guys. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

JD338

I agree that if you practice those ranges for shots you can probably make them but it is way more impressive to say that "I saw him at 500yards and was able to close the distance to 150yds before I shot". Takes a lot more hunting skill to slip up close to a wild animal than it does to shoot from afar.Rick.

It would be great to have a lot of hunting skill AND shooting skill. But if I had to choose to have a lot of one and a little of the other, I would choose to have a lot of the hunting skill. :)

CamoWildcat":2n6gw5jz said:
It would be great to have a lot of hunting skill AND shooting skill. But if I had to choose to have a lot of one and a little of the other, I would choose to have a lot of the hunting skill. :)

Ditto! BTW this is what i am talking about. You're telling me he could not close the distance by at least half on the dumbest animal in the world? Give me a break!!! :evil:

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/ ... ge=2#95929

POP,
Makes me wonder how many they miss or wound in their 1000 yard attempts. Of course, we will never hear about those. :(

Back