A reason for a lever 45-70!

Man, all these 45-70s could give me a complex. There are some fine looking rifles pictured here.

Wow!! I knew better not to look at this topic. Now I need a 45-70 Marlin. I'll post picks of the new gun soon.

Well Jake, you have seen mine before, but any excuse to post it up some, I am ready!

I am still working through the scope on mine. I am thinking it is going to get a 2.5X like Heath's or Guy's or an IER 2.5 to put it forward on the rail. I shoot my work rifle like that and it is fast and pretty accurate.

15C143F3.jpg

C56C3847.jpg

DSC_2934.jpg

D07EF9EF.jpg

12807556.jpg

Guys load for the 425's

AA72A688.jpg

97280503.jpg

IMG_0749.jpg

300gr Speer UniCor's

IMG_20110924_190043.jpg

300BST

DSC_2974.jpg

500gr Hornady DGX

DSC_2902.jpg

300gr PT at 300 yards

DSC_1235.jpg

400gr Speer

45-70Target.jpg

Yeah, I think you need one buddy. They are fun and when set up well, they are very accurate and a ton of smash. I wished I hunted more timber as I wouldn't take much else..

Scotty,

Where do you pick up those 45 calibre pencils? :grin: Those targets are always exciting to look at. Good stuff.

DrMike":1xx71s6l said:
Scotty,

Where do you pick up those 45 calibre pencils? :grin: Those targets are always exciting to look at. Good stuff.

Funny stuff!

Seeing all these pics and targets sure makes it easy to want one even more! I checked all my local spots yesterday with no luck. I might have to expand my search into the tri-cities area across the river. I'm sure I'll have better luck there.

Scotty, those are some great groups for any rifle. And HUGE chunks of lead :shock:

There are some very nice photos in this post. Thanks guys. Nice work!

Jake,

The accuracy of the 1895 Guide gun is amazing! It is no problem to shoot sub MOA with a good load and finding a good load is pretty easy too.
I shot a .400" group at 100 yds with the 300 gr BST when I was mounting the new scope, VX-3 1.75-6x32mm.
45-70300grBST590H322400.jpg

This 100 yd group with Remington 300 gr JHP and a Leupold M8 4x Heavy Duplex.
45-70300grRemJHP669.jpg

JD338

More excellent salesmanship. Just showing those targets will sell Marlins, Jim.

BK":11loj3vh said:
Must.....resist.....

That's not any fun, resisting sucks. Buying 45/70's is fun.

My motto: When in doubt, buy a 45/70.

I wish I had more picture of targets. Like JD said, shooting MOA is pretty routine and it is crazy coming from an old lever action. Mine is very accurate with 300's, 350's, and 405's. I shoot the 350 Hornady FP @ 1922fps with a load of H4895 for deer. I don't have any picture of most groups though.

25.0grs Alliant 2400 + 405 cast @ 50yds

0718111832.jpg

3 shots RL7 - 42grs + 405 Rem SP @ 60yds with peep sights

45-70group.jpg

Nice targets Heath and Jim. That is what got me my first 45-70 as well. Jim and I think you Heath, starting running your gums about what shooters they were and BAM! All the sudden I had a 1895G riding shotgun!

First let me say that those are some beautiful rifles guys, very nice indeed. I also want to say that we have three modern day 45/70 lever actions and one was even custom made for me. My husband has a couple very old winchester lever actions and one of them is so heavy I can hardly lift it. Everyone in the family likes to take their 45.70 lever actions when we go via horseback except for one daughter, so we do like them.

However, in some places of Africa they are not even legal to hunt with and the 375 is--for the obvious reasons--velocity and energy. I prefer the 375 or the 416 Rigby in a 45/70 type of situation and my husband prefers his 470 double.

Guns that are not made to fit me, especially the large caliber guns can be difficult for me if they dont fit me. I could use a muzzle brake, but I dont like them and in some places where I hunt they are not allowed. Hopefully this will help some to understand my reasoning for the "custom" thing, and why I do so.

You guys have some very nice guns and are very good shots.

Since I do quite a bit of work for a custom rifle builder, I really can't imagine that someone would have a problem with a fellow shooter owning and speaking of working with a custom gun. If a person wants a custom gun, how does that diminish my shooting/hunting experience? If they write of their exploits with fine rifles, I'm not harmed; rather, I'm enriched by witnessing vicariously the shooting they have enjoyed. I don't own a 45-70, though such is on my acquisition list when I can afford it. In the interim, I truly enjoy seeing the rifles and the targets posted by Jim, Scotty, Dub, Heath and all the rest. I will continue to work up loads for fine rifles, some of which are sufficiently expensive that I could never hope to own them. In the process, I will acquire rifles that I enjoy shooting and I will work with them. Among those that I should acquire within the coming year or so is a Model 86 Winchester or a Marlin Cowboy Model. When I do, you can bet the store that I'll be posting my targets and pictures of the rifle on this forum. :grin:

Aleena,

Good post and a very valid point.
The gun manufactures build guns for the average sized man so the only real option for a woman is to get a custom fit gun. Stock fit is everything and if it is set up properly, you will be more comfortable shooting. The result is better accuracy and more comfortable felt recoil.

Jake,

Come on buddy, hurry up and get a Marlin 1895 Guide gun.
I should also go get dies and components so you are ready. BTW, H322 is an excellent powder in the 45-70. This is the only powder I have used for both 300 gr and 405 gr bullets. I get 2200 fps with the 300 gr and 1850 fps with the 405 gr and sub MOA accuracy. Although these loads are on the upper end, they are not MAX loads and very safe in a Marlin action.

JD338

Those target photos posted by Scotty show how ridiculously accurate the big bore Marlin lever gun can be. I was astounded when I first started shooting one. Soon as I got the feel for it, the rifle was tossing Great Big Bullets almost on top of each other. Of course the targets & photos look really great because they're like giant .45 cal wadcutters too...

Aleena - I'd enjoy seeing your custom lever gun! Post up a photo if you will.

Right now in my lever gun inventory I'm down to a pair of Marlins, the .22 rimfire 39A (my all time favorite rifle) and a .30-30 Glenfield by Marlin. They both put a grin on my face. I don't know if I'll go get another .45/70 someday or not. Did keep one of the two sets of loading dies I had for it, and a small quantity of brass... Just in case I guess!

I kind of want to try a .45/70 Ruger Number One though - no real rational explanation - I just like them!

Regards, Guy

Funny you should mention that Jim, I put an order in this morning for some 45-70 goodies!

Thinking about shooting the Oregon Trail cast bullets. They are made here in Oregon. I was thinking about the 350gr. Should put a good hole in any elk.

Guy Miner":18habrjb said:
Scott - What's that perforated gizmo on your magazine tube?

Good looking rifle.

Guy,
That gizmo is a 1913 rail. It came with the gun but it comes off with one set screw. It's machined with very tight tolerances and snugly fits the magazine. I have a quick mount focused beam flashlight that mounts on the rail in 4 seconds. POA is center of the beam at 25yds. Last winter I rolled a coyote that my mastiff/wolfhound cross had cornered against a fence one night. When I called off the dog I made a snap shot at 60yds.... Bad night for Wiley.
Scott

jmad_81":1nijypdp said:
Funny you should mention that Jim, I put an order in this morning for some 45-70 goodies!

Thinking about shooting the Oregon Trail cast bullets. They are made here in Oregon. I was thinking about the 350gr. Should put a good hole in any elk.

Jake,

I am very proud of you sir. Buying dies and components before you buy a rifle is a sure sign of RADD. :mrgreen:
Way to go buddy.

What about glass? Take a look at the VX-3 1.75-6x32mm. It is tailor made for the 1895G and the 45-70.

JD338

A mastiff/wolfhound cross?

Yikes! :shock:

I like the idea of the light mount. Scared of your dog though... :grin:

Guy Miner":33acv4lw said:
A mastiff/wolfhound cross?

Yikes! :shock:

I like the idea of the light mount. Scared of your dog though... :grin:

She is such sweetheart and gentle as can be with my kids and their friends. I just don't understand why the UPS and Fedex drivers won't get out of their trucks; they just honk their horn till we come out and get the package :shock: . She is a great watch dog I just worry she might bring me a deer for a present one day. She's about 34" at the shoulder and weighs about 160lbs and the prettiest brindle color(tan with black stripes).

Scott

JD338":3hl8dskh said:
jmad_81":3hl8dskh said:

Jake,

I am very proud of you sir. Buying dies and components before you buy a rifle is a sure sign of RADD. :mrgreen:
Way to go buddy.

What about glass? Take a look at the VX-3 1.75-6x32mm. It is tailor made for the 1895G and the 45-70.

JD338

I was looking at something like that, but I can't decide if I want to put it on my 375r and move my vxIII 2.5-8x32 on to the 45-70, or put the 1.75-6x32 on the 45-70.

I have to admit though, funds are a bit tight at the moment so I'm having a hard time prioritizing the 45-70, and the 338/375R build. If I keep trying to do both, I won't have either for elk season.

I just received an email from my husband and none of the old lever action winchesters he has are 45/70 s--sorry about that

he said he is trying to stay with the 1866 and at this time has
1866 Saddle Ring Carbine 44 cf
1866 yellow boy 44 rf
1866 44 rf this one was manufactured in the late 1800 and is very heavy ( sorry he didnt include a name )
and
a 1886 45/90

an old Henry ( no details )

and then the new 45/70 s I spoke off earlier

Back