A reason for a lever 45-70!

Aleena, I have no idea who would be bothering you about having a custom made or customized rifle. On this site, there are many people who have at least one custom rifle (I have three still). I guess that there are just too many folks who sometimes worry and get a little jealous (maybe) about things that others have which they don't. These folks need to realise that all of us, even on this forum, were not stamped with little, all the same, cookie cutters and all of us get to choose what we spend our money on. Think how boring life would be if we all were the same?

Some of these same people who are throwing stones, may own 3 to 4 times as many rifles as either one of us do but I guess it must be important to them which brand and model you have more than just being on this site to enjoy shooting and rifle ownership? I am just glad to still have my liberties, then to worry about what other folks are shooting.

Jake, great work buddy. That is awesome. I have started acquiring dies before the actual rifles.. Not so sure I should have started that habit!

You mentioned the Oregon Cast 350's. I have heard alot of great things about them in past. The one nice thing to look at the Custom Cast Bullet makers like Beartooth, Jae Bok Young and Dave (onesonek) is they can size them bullets for OUR bore size. So if your bore actually slugs out to .4585, they can size them for .460" in order to give you a great fit and since they are gas checked and fit properly, leading is very slim. At least that is how it works with mine. I like the 350-470's in cast bullets. They can be pushed relatively easily and still have good trajectory out to 200 yards. Remember, those big bullets don't need to be pushed to punishing speeds to be effective either. Right now, I am running Dave's 405's at around 1600 FPS and man, they are fun to shoot, easy on the shoulder and I am thinking there isn't an elk that would hold one unless it was a butthole to brisket shot.

The PROBLEM with the 45-70 is all of the combinations available for them. I just wanna shoot them all, and have done a bunch, but still haven't nicked the amount of combo's available. I do gotta order up a scope for mine before I get home so I can get it tuned up for the Fall. Don't forget, Starline Brass is your friend in the 45-70. Really nice stuff.

A, that 1886 in 45-90 is a beast! Man, talk about a big time thumper.

Here are some of Dave's 405's loaded up over 41gr of RL7.. It is a very accurate combo. Can't wait to put a scope on the rifle and see what it does.

04803a49.jpg

The 45-70 really sparked the lever guns for me again. I ended up getting a M336 35 Marlin, M94 30-30, M444 444 Marlin, and I think there is another Winchester M94 in 307 in my future as well. They are just great hunting rifles. Not made for cross canyon shooting, but for alot of the areas where you are in the thick stuff where 200 yards would be a long way, those lever rifles are alot of fun.

35 Rem
f13a947a.jpg

30-30
DSC_2344.jpg

444 Marlin
IMG00101-20120302-1634.jpg

358 Win
DSC_0163.jpg

Scotty,

Aleena ask me to respond to you in reference to the 45/90. It is a thumper at the range, but I have never hunted with it. I collect guns and even sometimes sell them, but the latter doesn't happen often. I also have zeroed in on the 1866 as they have been going up in price and rivaling the old Henry. I only have one of the old Henry s and it is of course a 44 Rimfire. Besides the 45/90, I also have just recently obtained a 50/110 ( both are 1886) and I have put in an offer on a 45/60 ( 1876 ) . These are simply collectables, however they all do work and I always shoot them at the range when I first get them, but never in the field.

In years past we have had several problems arise because of Aleena posting pictures of rifles, targets, game killed, and even family. On two occasions it became a legal matter and on one other occasion it became very scary for a bit. And we have had concerns of theft, as she is often off hunting or in England and I am working in Africa. And most of the guns are in a different location than where we are most of the time. this coupled with our daughters being in Ireland, going to college, the family is spread out. Because of all the above, I have refused to allow her to post pictures anymore and limit the forums she is on. she loves to talk guns and hunting, but she gets an surprising amount of hate mail and I am not comfortable with that, as I am sure none of you would be if it was your wife and children in question.

Jim, Scotty, David, Dr. Mike, Guy are names that comes to mind of people who have befriended my wife on your forum and I thank you.

As to this thread, my wife is correct about their use in Africa, but when we are on horseback anywhere or hunting in the thick alders in Alaska, it is the gun of choice for my wife and myself. And they are so much fun to use, I have a friend who tells me he only uses the 45/70 and rides a horse so he can look like John Wayne did, when he was alive and making movies

Jerry

She loves to talk guns and hunting, but she gets an surprising amount of hate mail and I am not comfortable with that.

What a sad commentary on society that there exists even a few such creeps so filled with hate that they feel compelled to attack a lady. What a grievous situation that there are forums where people feel freedom to demonstrate their lack of manners and lack of character by a censorious attitude. Fortunately, whenever such calumny is displayed on this forum it is quickly censured and eliminated.

Man, does my .375 Winchester or either of my .356 Winchesters qualify me for entry into the Big Bore club? :grin: I do know they are quite accurate and they will take the game I encounter here in northern BC.

I understand completely Jerry. Makes sense, gotta take care of the home team buddy.

That 50-110 is a cool one too. That sounds like one awesome bunch of Winchesters for certain.

It is good to hear that others love the 45-70 as we do. It is one of them cartridges that really took to me after I started shooting it. I had never been clubbed so hard by a scope, and came back for more! It is a great shooting rifle and I could see where it is great on horse or just carrying. Something about being in the woods with the lever guns and knowing there isn't much you couldn't lay low pretty quick. Still have to load up some 525's or 550's, you know, just in case!!!

Great to hear from you Jerry. I know of your concerns about A taking grief, but you all are part of the Nosler family here and nobody will last long without some courteousness and politeness. Hope your doing well buddy.

I passed on a couple of those (and one in 450 Marlin) when they were released. My reason was the crossbolt safety. Still, either would have been a great addition, in hindsight.

Africa Huntress":119svp64 said:
Scotty,

Aleena ask me to respond to you in reference to the 45/90. It is a thumper at the range, but I have never hunted with it. I collect guns and even sometimes sell them, but the latter doesn't happen often. I also have zeroed in on the 1866 as they have been going up in price and rivaling the old Henry. I only have one of the old Henry s and it is of course a 44 Rimfire. Besides the 45/90, I also have just recently obtained a 50/110 ( both are 1886) and I have put in an offer on a 45/60 ( 1876 ) . These are simply collectables, however they all do work and I always shoot them at the range when I first get them, but never in the field.

In years past we have had several problems arise because of Aleena posting pictures of rifles, targets, game killed, and even family. On two occasions it became a legal matter and on one other occasion it became very scary for a bit. And we have had concerns of theft, as she is often off hunting or in England and I am working in Africa. And most of the guns are in a different location than where we are most of the time. this coupled with our daughters being in Ireland, going to college, the family is spread out. Because of all the above, I have refused to allow her to post pictures anymore and limit the forums she is on. she loves to talk guns and hunting, but she gets an surprising amount of hate mail and I am not comfortable with that, as I am sure none of you would be if it was your wife and children in question.

Jim, Scotty, David, Dr. Mike, Guy are names that comes to mind of people who have befriended my wife on your forum and I thank you.

As to this thread, my wife is correct about their use in Africa, but when we are on horseback anywhere or hunting in the thick alders in Alaska, it is the gun of choice for my wife and myself. And they are so much fun to use, I have a friend who tells me he only uses the 45/70 and rides a horse so he can look like John Wayne did, when he was alive and making movies

Jerry

Jerry, it was good to see your posting again, it has been a while seen I have seen a post from you and it was a pleasant surprise. I agree with Mike, about the malcontents, very sad. I also agree with Scotty that 50/110 would be a cool gun to own. I may be wrong but wasn't their claim to fame, buffalo hunting ? We also love the 45.70 and when we lived in El Paso, there were a lot of John Wayne want- to- be s around, all with a horse and a lever action rifle LOL

Jerry,

Thank you for posting.
You have an awesome collection of lever guns! The 50-110 should be a real thumper.

We have your back here and the rif raf seems to be gone. We will do our best to keep them away.

JD338

I have the big bore Leverguns addiction. Beware of Scotty, Jim and a few others when they get to talking 45-70s! You will end up with a lever rifle quicker than you can say "Dang Scotty! That's one hell of a scar on your forehead"! :lol:

Thinking about getting a 45-90 again after hearing about Jerry's. Thanks for giving me something to lose sleep over.

FWIW, I have been "thinking" of a 1894 in 44 Rem Mag.

JD338

onesonek":1crogvaq said:
BK":1crogvaq said:
Must.....resist.....

Yeah right,,,,,like that works :p
Been there tried that!!!

I've been doing okay so far... I went in and put an offer on a PF M70, and the gun shop wouldn't budge on the price, so I walked away. Though I may be begging Scott to go and pick it up for me later this week...

DrMike":9auelqwv said:
She loves to talk guns and hunting, but she gets an surprising amount of hate mail and I am not comfortable with that.

What a sad commentary on society that there exists even a few such creeps so filled with hate that they feel compelled to attack a lady. What a grievous situation that there are forums where people feel freedom to demonstrate their lack of manners and lack of character by a censorious attitude. Fortunately, whenever such calumny is displayed on this forum it is quickly censured and eliminated.

Indeed Mike,,,,It's sad someone would stoop so low to level an attack of any kind on a lady, and or family for that matter. Speaking of which,,,,,in my thoughts, Jerry and Aleena, you are family here.
While my conversations with Aleena have been few and fairly recent, I enjoy hearing of her experience(s), and opinion's on the forum, just like many other's here. Only to my knowledge, she is the only sister we have,,, wish we had more like her here!!
As for for custom builds,,,ain't nothing wrong with them. Sometimes, it's the only way to get what one wants or needs. Only a moron would make attacks on somebody using or prefering such!

Man, does my .375 Winchester or either of my .356 Winchesters qualify me for entry into the Big Bore club? :grin: I do know they are quite accurate and they will take the game I encounter here in northern BC.

Ahhhh,,,,No! Those are still medium bores. You need to go find yourself a nice "95" .405 Mike :p ,,,,then Scotty might let you in :lol:

Ah, Dave, then I'll have to do with my "medium bores" something like what I do with my ultralight fishing gear--take big game. :lol:

DrMike":21p6csjk said:
Ah, Dave, then I'll have to do with my "medium bores" something like what I do with my ultralight fishing gear--take big game. :lol:

:lol: that works Mike!
Nothing wrong with a fit that fills a need!!
As for me, the .45-70 was a want, asI hardly need one. The two medium bore's I have will cover anything I will ever encounter anymore.

Jerry, I understand as one of my daughters has confronted the same problems, but in a different field. It breaks a husband or fathers heart when you see it going on.

Also when I was interested in the cowboy shooting a while back, your wife was a lot of help in guiding me to various places to find things, it was appreciated.

I know these are not lever actions but at that time I seem to remember that you also have a couple of 44/100, collectables. I believe they were Sharp and Ballard. Very nice for sure. I believe Ballard was purchased by Marlin. which would make it a cool gun to own for sure, for me anyway.

Sean, the 50/110 was called a buffalo cartridges along with a lot of others. But in actuality the buffalo herds had already been wiped out when the 50/110 was introduced, but it would still be a great collectable to own. Unfortunately I cant afford to buy an original and Aleena guided me to a company called Shilo arms that have some great reproductions of some of these old rifles. I am sure there are others as well

Yeah, I dig those Shilo Sharps rifles a lot! I don't know whether I would pick up a .50-110, but I would like to buy one of their rifles.

Back