A reason for a lever 45-70!

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
So I have not been in a very hapy place the last few days with the results of the Oregon draw. But I think I found the silver lining! I now have to hunt spikes again in the second season hunt, and the place we hunt is pretty think timber. What better gun to hunt elk in thick timber than a 45-70!

Whats your guys thoughts on Lever guns. Marlin? Henry? Stainless? Blued? I really like the looks of the stainless with the brown wood, but well see what I can find I guess.

What about optics? 1.5x5? or fixed 4x?

Great excuse, Jake! I haven't handled any of the Henrys at this time, but I would think from their other products that it will be a good rifle. If you can pick up a Marline of earlier manufacturing dates, it will be ideal. If you do pick up a newer Marlin, be prepared to dress the insides if it doesn't cycle smoothly. This appears to be the primary complaint. The rifles shoot well, but because of poor finish, they often fail to cycle smoothly. As to looks, it's a lever gun, and they will look good in your hand regardless of the material used. The stainless rifles are attractive, though all my lever guns are blued. I do like the lever rifles, however. I currently have five gracing my safes (one in .375, two in .356 and two in .307). All mine are Model 94s. If I pick up another in the near future, it is liable to be a Model 86 Winchester chambered in 45-70.

I no longer have a marlin in 45-70 but I do still have a Ruger #1S in that cartridge. The scope on that rifle id an old El Paso Weaver K3 with post and crosshair. Works for me. FWIW, the marlin I sold was one of the very early ones and for some reason I just was never very comfortable with that rifle. Didn't seem to fit me right.
Paul B.

Guess you would like one these? :mrgreen:

February2011075.jpg

I love my Marlin even if it is the old/new one. Old plant parts that was put together in the new plant. Works and shoots great! Gave it a few extras like the Wild West loop and Happy Trigger. Shoots small groups with 300 grain BTs, PTs, or DeepCurls. Just call me if you need anymore help :lol:

Or this?

1895 Limited V 1/2 round 1/2 octagonal

Attachments

• acf232c.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 950
  • img_6570.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 950
I do like those Model 95 Cowboy rifles. They are very sharp. I also like the Winchester Model 86. I could be tempted to get into the 45-70 with either of these models.

Woodycreek":obospwsc said:
Guess you would like one these? :mrgreen:

February2011075.jpg

I love my Marlin even if it is the old/new one. Old plant parts that was put together in the new plant. Works and shoots great! Gave it a few extras like the Wild West loop and Happy Trigger. Shoots small groups with 300 grain BTs, PTs, or DeepCurls. Just call me if you need anymore help :lol:

I had to run down stairs to see if mine was still there,,,then once I got to last step realized I didnt have a scope on mine and is blued, grey black lam., along with different series altogether. :p Not many of those around I'm thinking. Mine wears a Skinner peep. Oh and,,,shoots my cast just fine as well. Just my thoughts,,,a peep is quicker for me in heavy cover, yet works well enough to offhand out 150 yds on a 6" target. Minute of elk,,,,no problem!

Those are handsome bullets, Dave. I have no doubt they will put the smack-down on about any game in North America.

I'm thinking so too Mike, while haven't yet, I hope to on next years Elk season. It'll be that or this Encore 12" .454 with cast 360's, for still hunting the timber. Likely carry both at the same time.
100_3934.jpg

also.460/470's left, and 454/360's right
AM453-460004.jpg

Jake,

You NEED a Marlin 1895 Guide un in 45-70! It is a hammer with the right loads.
I really like the SS and laminate stocks. Mine is the original blued.
Scope is a Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32mm which IMHO is perfect for this rifle and round.
It works well in the MI Cedar Swamps too. :wink:
DeerSeason2011006.jpg

JD338

Those are some fine looking rifles for sure fellas! I have to do a little running around town today I might have to see how much trouble I can get into :wink:

JD338":37a73v64 said:
Jake,

You NEED a Marlin 1895 Guide un in 45-70! It is a hammer with the right loads.
I really like the SS and laminate stocks. Mine is the original blued.
Scope is a Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32mm which IMHO is perfect for this rifle and round.
It works well in the MI Cedar Swamps too. :wink:
DeerSeason2011006.jpg

JD338
+1..I like the stainless guide gun,lots of power for sure :twisted:

006-1.jpg

jmad_81

Sir, we bought our teenage son a 45/70 Marlin 1895 GS last christmas. It has an 18 1/2 barrel and only weighs 7 ibs. He does not have a scope on it . He absolutely loves it, it is like an extension of his arm LOL

Also, when we were looking, A, suggested we also look at the Kilimanjaro lever action rifles, as I believe she has one in 45/70. It is a beautiful rifle but we can not afford it. I do remember her telling us that they use a marlin action in their rifles.

I also have an old Marlin that belonged to my dad that we have had for a long time and have had no problems with it--it is also a 45/70

Our family has always had one and have always been glad we did

Good luck in your search

Jmad_81, My son has the first 1895 GS that I bought ported and I just traded my other standard rifle 1895 last fall but with 350 grain Speer handloads at 1900 fps, this rifle is a stone killer and has nearly 3000 foot pounds of energy. I did put a Simms pad on both rifles though with heavy loads.

I had a Conquest 2.5-8x32 scope on mine and it was perfect for woods hunting set at 2.5X. Plus both of my 1895's with either Winchester Factory 300 grain or 350 gr handloads would shoot under 1.5 MOA for 5-shot groups with almost any ammo (MOA with handloads).

45-708-11-11001jpg.jpg

This is a target of three shots-and-out, shot at 100 yards from the NRA sitting position (elbows inside the knees). I shot this last summer. The taped over holes were sighters.

jmad - I hunted and played with .45/70 Marlins for some years. Am resurrecting one now for a friend. Marlin hit a home run when they reworked their 336 model to take the big, blunt-nose .45/70 cartridge. Eventually I sold mine to a friend, and replaced it with a Ruger Number One Tropical in .375 H&H, which I like even more - but the Marlin is a great piece of gear. I'll dredge up some photos and thoughts:

My favorite photo of it - on the last hunt with that rifle, going for bear here in the Cascades a few years ago. Topped with a 2.5x compact Leupold, and stoked with 425 gr Piledriver Junior hard cast lead bullets loaded to over 1900 fps.
e127cf34.jpg

Elk hunt, Washington Cascades:
whiteriver05.jpg

Pair of Marlins, .45/70 and .22 rimfire:
Marlins01.jpg

350 gr jacketed bullets after meeting the infamous water jugs. On the left is the Swift A-Frame, on the right the Hornady FNSP. Muzzle velocity was 2040 and 2080 fps, respectively. Stout load, but not max:
IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

My 1895, showing how nicely that little 2.5x Leupold sits on the Leupold STD mount & rings. Perfect for me...
IMG_0147.jpg

Marlin built very good lever guns. I'd look for an older one in good shape. Enjoy!

Guy

Jake,
Just in case you need more inspiration! :twisted:
039.jpg

I have a 2x7 Redfield on mine, the accurange reticle works real well with it.
Scott

Scott - What's that perforated gizmo on your magazine tube?

Good looking rifle.

Back