Accubond vs. Ballistic Tip @ 308 win Velocities...

DIXIE

Beginner
Nov 12, 2006
I know the short answer is they both work ...

Given the choice for an all-around load in 308win would you take the AB or BT in 150 or 165?

I'm guessing the answer is whatever your rifle shoots best...

I guess my specific questions were these
1) At short range like 50 yards or less, which is common in the southeast depending on terrain, will the AB expand provide the quick kills that the BT does when shooting through the lungs?
2) the opposite end of that is when shooting through both shoulders, wiull the BT exit 90-100% of the time like the AB?

My gun liked 165 BT's better than 150 AB's. I am planning on trying the 165 AB's just because, loading them to the same specs as the BT. I have a feeling the BT will provide slightly "quicker" kills on average but is less friendly on inopportune angles/distances?

I dropped 4 with a 150 AB in 2006 and they all ran, none were DRT, but they all went 50 yards or less....none were double shoulder shots...

Thoughts?

Mountain out of a mole hill or what?

If for only deer, you cant beat NBT's. You dont really need AB's to kill deer IMO. From what I've seen, NBT's usually are DRT bullets. AB's sure kill them, but they usually are not DRT as you've found out. Anyways, out of 308 velocity, I wouldn't worry about the NBT's not exiting at least 90% of the time. The NBT is still my antelope/deer bullet of choice and always will be.

I agree with everyone on the NBTs, but why not load the same weight ABs and see fi you can't get the point of aim to be the same. I'm guessing that won't be hard to do. If you're loading the 165's you'll be covered. Use the NBT on deer and soft stuff, put the AB in when you hunt bigger and or tougher animals.

If you carry both and get into a situation where you are in heavy cover and are worried about tracking (ie need to insure an exit wound) then shoot the AB . If you are near a fence line, let the NBT put an end to it.

Good theory...but in my testing, they do not normally shoot to the same POI, but worth giving it a shot or 5 :)

The 140's shoot within about an inch of each other as well in my .270. Last weekend the BT's grouped a little better.

I've been using 180 grn NBT's and NAB's from a CZ 550 Varmint with a 1-12 twist. They both shoot very well, seemingly better than the 168 MatchKings I used to use. I've used 100 NBT's and about 60 NAB's this year at the range so far and they are deadly, MOA right out to 500 yds and that is all the range I've got. Iswitched to NAB's because they were availible at the SPS.

CC

I shoot a Remington Model 7 18.5" barrel. My shots on deer will be well under 100 yards.

The only deer I took with it so far was a 30 yard broadside shot with the 165gr BT. Shot hit above the shoulder the deer spun around once and fell. The top of the heart and both lungs were destroyed and the exit hole was no more than the size of a half dollar. The bullet obviously came apart though (note that I didn't say it failed). While scouting the following year, I found what looked like a bullet hole from a 22 in a tree behind where I shot that deer. I dug out a chunk of lead that weighed about 50 grains.

I was planning to switch to the 165gr PT or AB or the 150gr AB to get a bit more velocity out of the short barrel because many of the deer taken in camp are taken by quartering shots in thickley wooded areas.

Now I'm rethinking it a bit. I can't immagine that the 165 BT wouldn't penetrate enough on quartering shots on deer and I really want the deer down quickly as we hunt public land.

Back