Acquired A "New" Ruger American

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
V6hn1hG.jpg
Hello all!
It's been a while since I've been here on the boards.
I recently acquired a Ruger American in .308 Win! I put a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 DOA (Dead On Accurate) 600CF scope I got for half price.
I was wondering what everyone thought about the American rifles?
I got it on recommendation from my buddy Fotis.
No complaints here!
Qr1jQE2.jpg

Can I fill the butt of the stock with silicone to add weight? Or should I use another medium?

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I am a forum junkie, and on all the forums I am on the American is very well respected. Accuracy reports are impressive. The triggers are very good. So impressed am I with the Americans that I bought one today. I will dial it in and gift it to my grandson. I can't answer you question about weight. I'd be inclined to enjoy its lightness.

I've got a couple of these... I love these rifles and in a "value for money" kind of comparison they really shine.

I wouldn't try to add weight, but then again I'm a hiking hunter.

Paul and hodgman,
Thank you both for responding! I greatly appreciate it.
To me, the American shouldn't be considered a "budget" rifle. When I took the action out of the stock, I was truly impressed with how well it's put together. It's receiver is ample strong, and the bolt is awesome.
The adjustment of lowering the trigger pull is simple and effective. I love the 3lb trigger pull now!
I love a good wide trigger as well.
To me, it rates above a Savage. And I love Savage rifles!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

My next purchase is going to be a Ruger American Predator rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. I love te 6.5mm cartridges! They are extremely efficient, and perform way better than their paper ballistics show.
I've never had a heavy barrel anything in all the years I've hunted or been shooting.
I think I deserve one!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Fotis did you well !

I bought the Wolf model (digital camo pattern stock) last year, also in a 308. The only shooting I have done with it, was to run some FMJ's through it, just to get it on paper, and then three sets of handloads with Varget & 125 BT's. I was using it as my back up rifle for a Wyoming Pronghorn/Mulie hunt and running out of time.

Trigger: Out of the box, not to shabby. Not too shabby at all.
Recoil: The recoil pad does an excellent job, better than any other factory rifle I've ever had, bar none.
Accuracy: Considering the very limited work I put into it, 3 shot groups @ 1" - 1'1/4" on the first go round were more than enough.
Safety: I'll just say it, I'm a tang safety junkie, love it !

Since last year it's been through a morph though. Now a 338Fed. Trigger backed off to a clean/crisp 3lbs. Just gotta get a day when it's not frickin' raining on my day off and get to the range.

Yeah, Fotis did you very well. Good shooting and post the results pics of your new Critter Gitter!

Gunner46":3bgn35sp said:
Fotis did you well !

I bought the Wolf model (digital camo pattern stock) last year, also in a 308. The only shooting I have done with it, was to run some FMJ's through it, just to get it on paper, and then three sets of handloads with Varget & 125 BT's. I was using it as my back up rifle for a Wyoming Pronghorn/Mulie hunt and running out of time.

Trigger: Out of the box, not to shabby. Not too shabby at all.
Recoil: The recoil pad does an excellent job, better than any other factory rifle I've ever had, bar none.
Accuracy: Considering the very limited work I put into it, 3 shot groups @ 1" - 1'1/4" on the first go round were more than enough.
Safety: I'll just say it, I'm a tang safety junkie, love it !

Since last year it's been through a morph though. Now a 338Fed. Trigger backed off to a clean/crisp 3lbs. Just gotta get a day when it's not frickin' raining on my day off and get to the range.

Yeah, Fotis did you very well. Good shooting and post the results pics of your new Critter Gitter!

Gunner46,
Yes, I have to agree that Fotis did do a great recommendation.
I'm going to keep it in the original caliber. Always wanted a .308!
I will definitely post pics of a range day when it's a nice day to just shoot. Been raining here like crazy this week.
I like that a simpleton as myself can lower the trigger pull to a crisp, albeit 3lbs.
I'm a fair shot, and am hoping for 1" groups.
I heard they like Federal Blue Box ammo and the Fusion, as well as Remington CorLokts. Any suggestions to ammo choices to start off with?
Not to recoil sensitive, thought I would just add a little weight, and get rid of excessive noise problems before they might arise.
I am a tang safety man as well. Ever since I had my first Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag, I've loved tang safeties. Then on a Ruger M77 in .300 Win Mag! Now on my American! Hoo-ah!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I've got a 223 Predator. Love it. For the money it's tough to beat for what I use it for.

I agree! So True!
Not going to mention other "value" rifles, but the American is quality on a budget. Savage used to be that way, but they've been pricing themselves out of the "value" rifle a long time. I'm not all that enthusiastic about the Axis II. To me the quality isn't what the 110 Combos were.
I love Savage 110's, 111's, 10's, 11's, 114's, and 116's.
Now, I love the American!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Any suggestions on a .308 load?
I've got one from a buddy, Varget 44-45grs.behind a 165gr Nosler BT.
Any others that get good velocity, with great accuracy?
Open to a few more if anyone has them.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I bought an RAR in 308 a while back for $249.00 plus tax.
It was in the previously loved rack at the local gun store but didn't look like it had been fired.
It liked 165 NBTs on top of 45 grs of Varget.
Easily an MOA rifle.

Lost my lease in Mo so I sold it to a co worker.

HTDUCK":13s1whah said:
I bought an RAR in 308 a while back for $249.00 plus tax.
It was in the previously loved rack at the local gun store but didn't look like it had been fired.
It liked 165 NBTs on top of 45 grs of Varget.
Easily an MOA rifle.

Lost my lease in Mo so I sold it to a co worker.

Thank you so much HTDUCK!
I really appreciate it.
Sorry about your deer lease.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Around these parts there are a few guys shooting them and giving very good reports on them. I like the fact that they have a wide variety of calibres (y).
Thank you for the report.

Blessings,
Dan

Varget or RL15 under a 165 AB or Ballistic Tip would be my first stop. 2750-2800 and usually accurate.

SJB358":269sbnk8 said:
Varget or RL15 under a 165 AB or Ballistic Tip would be my first stop. 2750-2800 and usually accurate.

Thank you SJB358!
I was wondering if RL15 would be another good one. Thank you for the info.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

That's all I ran in my old 308. I'd like to have another 308. Can't beat how easy it is to load for and how accurate they usually are without a whole lot of work.

Yup Bryce and I go wayyyyyy back. Must have shot thousands of Prairie dogs while we were cops in the USAF

FOTIS":21pxjy43 said:
Yup Bryce and I go wayyyyyy back. Must have shot thousands of Prairie dogs while we were cops in the USAF

Yup! At a minimum of 20 yrs. back, right Fotis?
He's not exaggerating about thousands of Prairie Dogs either. He is one of a few people I know that can shoot as well as I can. And at long range on top of that. Prairie Dogs tremble in fear from seeing him come around!

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Bought one in 7-08 about a month ago. It's consistent 1" or better at 100 with 140 core lokts. I got some test loads done with 120 btips last weekend but haven't had a chance to shoot em yet. So far I'm impressed with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back