Africa Bound

honkeetonkin":12tmtdle said:
I cant stand it any more DF, how did it go?

Alright guys! I've been soo busy since our arrival that I haven't been able to post. Here's some pictures! The stories will come later.

Day-1

Frank drew the first blood with the 375

AfricanSafari010.jpg

I've followed with a Zebra in the afternoon!!! again with the 375

AfricanSafari027.jpg

Day-2

Frank got his Zebra

AfricanSafari044.jpg

Day-3

Cold front came in, hunting postponed went and visited the local watering hole.

AfricanSafari069.jpg

Confederate flag still flying in South Africa.

AfricanSafari076.jpg

Inside Saloon Route 66

AfricanSafari078.jpg

Day-4

Shot this Warthog!!! again with the 375

AfricanSafari090.jpg

Frank scored a trophy Mountain Redbuck. The lone animal shot with the 300 Weatherby

AfricanSafari106.jpg

Day-5 My most memorable

Shot this 22 inch Impala around noon

AfricanSafari114.jpg

Followed by this incredible 56" Greater Kudu late in the afternoon

AfricanSafari137.jpg

Day-6

Frank shot his Waterbuck that measured 30"

AfricanSafari160.jpg

Day-7 Hunting break.

Went on an elephant ride to observed wild life at Shambala Game Reserve

AfricanSafari192.jpg

AfricanSafari187.jpg

AfricanSafari195.jpg

AfricanSafari182.jpg

Can you spot two lioness.

AfricanSafari190.jpg

Day-8 Last day

Our buddy George, who came as a non hunter, decided to take this Red Hardeebest at 200 yards with you guess it, 375

AfricanSafari225.jpg

Day-9 Catch a flight home

Yes!!!!!!! That 375Wby is one fine cartridge and I am glad I had that thing put together and to see the results of it's handy work really warms my heart. WOW!!!! You just got to love it. I am so proud of you guys and I do appreciate so much this post and the pictures. Thank you :)

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing...

Now I wont be to productive this morning, as I now will spend it dreaming of Capstick and Desert Fox type adventures.

Rod

Very nice!!! That Kudu is a very Nice trophy, 56" is pretty dang big! Great lookin hog as well. I have a thing for the waterbucks, now I'm really wishing I would of shot the one I saw when I went :cry:

Enjoyed looking at all the pictures!

Stupid question time....Looking at all the animals you guys harvested, would not a 308, 7mag etc have worked fine? Is there a caliber restriction? I can understand the idea to have a big cartridge in case of a lion or buffalo attack

YoteSmoker":2jz5xvsd said:
Enjoyed looking at all the pictures!

Stupid question time....Looking at all the animals you guys harvested, would not a 308, 7mag etc have worked fine? Is there a caliber restriction? I can understand the idea to have a big cartridge in case of a lion or buffalo attack

I'm always a proponent of bigger caliber bullet anyway and this trip did reinforced it even more. African animal are tough. We were planning to use the 300 Weatherby as our primary rifle at first but the PH insist on having us use the 375 instead. The area were so thick of vegetation that sometime you have no choice but to plow through the brush, twigs, grass and all.

jmad_81":bhqd99c7 said:
Very nice!!! That Kudu is a very Nice trophy, 56" is pretty dang big! Great lookin hog as well. I have a thing for the waterbucks, now I'm really wishing I would of shot the one I saw when I went :cry:

Indeed! I don't know if you noticed but the ivory tip were missing on the Kudu's horn. The bull is probably 10 or 11 years old and way passed it's prime. In his prime, the Kudu would have measured 58 to 60 inches easily according to Ewert, which would had been a whopper. He also told me that I wasn't supposed to shoot such a trophy on my first Safari. I know he was being sarcastic because he made it happen. I almost lost my patient with him after having me passed several pretty good size bull because it wasn't good enough.

I think I was at a less reputable place then where you went. I did see a few bigger bulls than mine but they are tough to get onto and the owner of the place knew he got paid if we killed something so his idea of "hunting" was driving around in the truck and hunting from the truck. I won't be going back to the same place again thats for sure. It really pays to do your research, as apparently you did.

Congrats on a great hunt!

Yes, I have the itch again, I got it bad after seeing the pictures. DesertFox, I sent you a pm. :)

Back