African hunters, a question...

George, Aleena, ---thank you

It doesn't look like I will be going polar bear hunting anytime soon. I would like to go on a plains game trip to Africa some day however. But that day is not today--unfortunately

Don't wait.

The prices are only going to go up.

Fewer countries and areas will be open for hunting.

Travel with firearms is only going to get more difficult.

And there will never be a 'perfect time' to do it.

George

Large, mature animals is all my PH would let us shoot to take home. For "fun/target shooting" when we were looking for "something that wants to die" he was a bit less selective. We shot a couple of young/small worthogs for one of the dinners to go with the Impalla and Gemsbuck meat.

Even though I did not go to get a certain size animal we came home with some very large animals and at least 3 will make book.

I get to hunt 2-3 times more for the same money going to SA. then hunting anywhere else here in Europe and USA. for that matter. I have checked prices in many places and something like hunting a red stag in Carpathian mountains or a prong in Montana(1 animal only) can give my 3 full weeks in Kalahari hunting kudu, gemsboks, warthogs, springbok plus whatever pops up.

I've been dreaming long and hard about Africa lately, lots of other things to buy first.

But along the lines of trophy size, do some outfitters allow you to take a "non-trophy" sized animal at a reduced rate? I know there are the cull hunts where it is mostly females, but thinking a smaller symmetrical Kudu, or smaller with an irregularity (Africa's version of a drop tine buck).

Just trying to figure out ways to reduce the cost of a hunt, even though 4-7K for a trip with multiple animals still isn't bad (plus airfare, travel insurance, ect...)

Tim,

Outfitters offering ranch hunts (South Africa and Namibia) will sometimes have non-trophy animals at a somewhat reduced price.

George

tim629":2ch7jxwo said:
I've been dreaming long and hard about Africa lately, lots of other things to buy first.

But along the lines of trophy size, do some outfitters allow you to take a "non-trophy" sized animal at a reduced rate? I know there are the cull hunts where it is mostly females, but thinking a smaller symmetrical Kudu, or smaller with an irregularity (Africa's version of a drop tine buck).

Just trying to figure out ways to reduce the cost of a hunt, even though 4-7K for a trip with multiple animals still isn't bad (plus airfare, travel insurance, ect...)

The short answer is yes. But you might also consider animals with smaller trophy fees--Reedbuck, Springbok, Blesbok, Impala can all be under 1000 dollars and the Gemsbok, which is a nice trophy can be under 1500. If you just took those five animals it would be a nice hunt. Remember you still will see and photograph many other animals, eat some very interesting food, meet some very interesting people, and see some magnificent scenery. Having a glass of scotch around a campfire while listening to the voices of Africa coming from somewhere in the darkness is all part of the hunt and experience.

Again, let me see if I understand this. Five animals at a 1000 dollars each is 5000 dollars and 5000 for the trip or another 10000. As I stated in a different thread one can hunt where they live, even if its a shotgun hunt for deer and give the rest to people who can actually use it and need it. It looks like some people are bound and determined to spend 10000 dollars one way or another on themselves. Many times these are people who had the money they are spending handed down to them, not money they earned. I again want to say that this is of course just my opinion and I have said nothing derogatory.

We all spend our money on our own interests and pursuits. We have people posting on this forum that have been to Africa and others that are saving to go. Most of them are working stiffs with families; surely you don't begrudge them the opportunity to hunt the dark continent? Unless someone lives in northern Canada or Alaska, they aren't likely to hunt sheep, goats and grizzly on the cheap. In fact, those hunts are likely to cost more than an African hunt. Surely you aren't suggesting that no one should ever save up for a hunt for these animals?

I don't begrudge anyone their wealth, however that wealth may have been acquired. The politics of envy has given the USA an administration that holds to the view that wealth doesn't belong to those producing it or to the people who earned it; they are quite prepared to redistribute wealth "to people who can actually use it and need it." However, the people "who can actually use it and need it" often aren't particularly interested in working--they merely want the rewards of hard work without the work. Thus, we have a nation with over half the people sucking on the public teat. To be certain, you've said nothing derogatory, but you betray a mind that surely appears darkened with greed and envy. I would hope I'm wrong, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

Win 100, I recognize your stance - but why the heck should I "give" my money to someone else?

I worked for it. I saved it. I'm spending it on a trip to Africa. I suspect the PH, and his employees will make good use of that money. I figure the whole trip will run about $12k by the time it's complete. My cash, my choice. I figure we all get an opportunity to make & spend our money as we see fit.

For the record, I do raise and donate money for charity too, and am just a "working stiff" as Mike put it.

Regards, Guy

BTW, actually started my own part-time business, which is paying for this trip, and other outdoor adventures. It's a LOT of work, running even a part time small business, but worth the effort to me!

Guy Miner":3pwtaa4x said:
BTW, actually started my own part-time business, which is paying for this trip, and other outdoor adventures. It's a LOT of work, running even a part time small business, but worth the effort to me!

good for you, congratulations, you obviously have worked hard for your money and are rewarding yourself on a one time trip of a lifetime. Some people need to work all their life to hunt Africa one time.

I paid for all four of my safaris with my own money. Safaris were a priority for me at the time, so I concentrated my savings plan to pay for them.

The green-eyed haters who complain about how other people spend their money (earned or inherited) are just envious.

So many of my contemporaries said they could never afford to spend $10,000 to hunt Africa, yet spent $40,000 on a pickup truck (which they never used to haul anything but groceries). :roll:

Had they spent $25,000 on a sedan, they'd have plenty left over for a safari.

George

Hunting in Africa doesn't have to be all that expensive as expressed here in this thread. If one does a little time scouting for outfitters, it can be done fairly priced.

DrMike":38ohgzve said:
We all spend our money on our own interests and pursuits. We have people posting on this forum that have been to Africa and others that are saving to go. Most of them are working stiffs with families; surely you don't begrudge them the opportunity to hunt the dark continent? Unless someone lives in northern Canada or Alaska, they aren't likely to hunt sheep, goats and grizzly on the cheap. In fact, those hunts are likely to cost more than an African hunt. Surely you aren't suggesting that no one should ever save up for a hunt for these animals?

I don't begrudge anyone their wealth, however that wealth may have been acquired. The politics of envy has given the USA an administration that holds to the view that wealth doesn't belong to those producing it or to the people who earned it; they are quite prepared to redistribute wealth "to people who can actually use it and need it." However, the people "who can actually use it and need it" often aren't particularly interested in working--they merely want the rewards of hard work without the work. Thus, we have a nation with over half the people sucking on the public teat. To be certain, you've said nothing derogatory, but you betray a mind that surely appears darkened with greed and envy. I would hope I'm wrong, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

+++1. Well said Dr. Mike

tim629":361gs697 said:

Sorry if I disrupted your quest for an answer. I believe Georges has some excellent ideas that will help you. Best of luck saving up for this once in a lifetime hunt

It will be interesting to see if this Plains Game hunt of mine turns out to be a one time trip or not.

If he wants to go, I could see taking my youngest son in a few years. For pretty much the same hunt. Or, I already know that I'd love to challenge the mighty Cape Buff on a dangerous game hunt...

Then there is the lure of the north country for moose, grizzly, caribou and wolf.

I need a other twenty years of strength and a bigger bank account!

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":263didgf said:
It will be interesting to see if this Plains Game hunt of mine turns out to be a one time trip or not.

Whether this is the only trip or the first of several, best of luck to you Guy. I'm confident we'll get to admire some fantastic pictures!

Once in a lifetime, or one of many, it's your money, time, and effort to do as you please.

Have a great time and I look forward to hearing and reading about your adventures.

Vince

win100, I too am new to this forum:

do I wonder what some of these people do to be able to afford their chosen lifestyle? heck yes!

but in the end, I spend my money as I see fit, they spend theirs as they see fit. If I recall correctly most of the meat from animals shot in Africa goes to the locals.

Also a lot cheaper to go on a plains game hunt than to go visit my brother-in-law and hunt a single species of Alaskan game

Back