African hunters, a question...

On the subject of the original post... I'm in a quandry about this myself. I booked a hunt this spring after saving and dreaming for 20 years. For our 20th anniversary my wife and I are going with our son for 17 days in Namibia.

My PH made it very plain- we can spend a lot of time looking for an exceptional head or we can shoot several representative ones....my choice. He's good either way.

Since this may be our only trip to Africa I would rather take several different species among myself, wife and son. Especially considering that the visual difference between a "good" and an "outstanding" specimen may not amount to much. I'm not much into trophy or taxidermy but the real trophy of this trip is to just be hunting in Africa with my family.

Just my $.02

On the subject of the original post... I'm in a quandry about this myself. I booked a hunt this spring after saving and dreaming for 20 years. For our 20th anniversary my wife and I are going with our son for 17 days in Namibia.

My PH made it very plain- we can spend a lot of time looking for an exceptional head or we can shoot several representative ones....my choice. He's good either way.

Since this may be our only trip to Africa I would rather take several different species among myself, wife and son. Especially considering that the visual difference between a "good" and an "outstanding" specimen may not amount to much. I'm not much into trophy or taxidermy but the real trophy of this trip is to just be hunting in Africa with my family.

Just my $.02

winchester100":1bxxcu6p said:
Again, let me see if I understand this. Five animals at a 1000 dollars each is 5000 dollars and 5000 for the trip or another 10000. As I stated in a different thread one can hunt where they live, even if its a shotgun hunt for deer and give the rest to people who can actually use it and need it. It looks like some people are bound and determined to spend 10000 dollars one way or another on themselves. Many times these are people who had the money they are spending handed down to them, not money they earned. I again want to say that this is of course just my opinion and I have said nothing derogatory.

I do not know your situation but: I worked my way from working in the mines in Canada as a diamond driller helper up to the Senior Staff of an international company as Director of Manuf. Worldwide. No one paid for my education or cut corners for me to get ahead. I made my money, saved it and used it to educate my children which I do not regret. I never went to Africa and do not regret that as well. I did plenty of hunting and shooting.

You either live with the hand that you were dealt, or you get up, get out and change your luck! When you get to be 70 years old as I am and can no longer do the things that you could when you were younger, because of bad health. You had better be satisfied with what you did and what you have because the game is over! Worry about what you have or do not have is a waste of precious time, as is envy! Take it from someone who has lived through all of that and more!

Africa Huntress":1u3pzuh4 said:
tim629":1u3pzuh4 said:
I've been dreaming long and hard about Africa lately, lots of other things to buy first.

But along the lines of trophy size, do some outfitters allow you to take a "non-trophy" sized animal at a reduced rate? I know there are the cull hunts where it is mostly females, but thinking a smaller symmetrical Kudu, or smaller with an irregularity (Africa's version of a drop tine buck).

Just trying to figure out ways to reduce the cost of a hunt, even though 4-7K for a trip with multiple animals still isn't bad (plus airfare, travel insurance, ect...)

The short answer is yes. But you might also consider animals with smaller trophy fees--Reedbuck, Springbok, Blesbok, Impala can all be under 1000 dollars and the Gemsbok, which is a nice trophy can be under 1500. If you just took those five animals it would be a nice hunt. Remember you still will see and photograph many other animals, eat some very interesting food, meet some very interesting people, and see some magnificent scenery. Having a glass of scotch around a campfire while listening to the voices of Africa coming from somewhere in the darkness is all part of the hunt and experience.

Guy, I used the above quote to answer your post, as it is so true. I was originally hell bent on hunting Lion and going alone was the only way I could afford to do that. Aleena suggested the same thing to me she has suggested above. I ended up using the money we had for this hunt to take my son and we both hunter animals with smaller trophy fees, instead of a lion hunt for myself

Guy, the last two sentences of Aleenas post above is so very true. I am determined to go back and this time with my wife and daughter. Those who have been there will understand, the hunting and mounts are of course important, but there is so much more to the experience.

GeorgeS, Aleena, anyone who has been

How do you settle up when it is all over, I cant imagine that they just take a check. I am sure there is a deposit, but then what, wire transfer, travelers checks, ??. If the amount your taking with you is over 10000, you have to declare it, which I assume is no problem

Aleena, I like the idea of taking the game you listed to keep the cost down and still bring home some nice trophies. I must admit I had to look up each animal however.

Your right Sean, Aleena makes a good point about "everything else" that comes with the trip. I can only imagine the sights and sounds, but hope someday to set around a campfire in Africa and hear the "sounds of Africa" coming from the darkness.

Deposits are paid in advance, either to the outfitter or to a booking agent (who hopefully, can hold the funds in escrow in case the outfitter goes out of business or tries to pull a fast one by changing the hunt offering or prices).

The balance is paid with traveler's checks or bank wire by prior arrangement.

Trophies are not released for export until after the fees are paid.

George

I always paid for guided hunts and settlement at the end of the hunt with American Express Traveler's Cheques.

I put myself thru college.
I worked for all the money I have.
I still support my exwife and her husband to the tune of $1200/month.
I am single with one grown daughter(who went to Africa with me) and own my home.
I pay all my bills on time.
I wanted to go to Africa so I did it with saving money, cashing in an IRA and selling 15 extra firearms. It was about the same price for a guided hunt here in the USA. I was able to shoot many more animals. I shot more animals than I paid for with the owners/PH blessing. I will be frugal so I can have the animals mounted in the future.
This is my choice. If you choose to deny youself a most special hunt(and sightseeing) trip then fine. If you can or cannot pay for it , that is up to you. If you really want to do it then you will find a way. Do not show a bad attitude because of it.
Most of my animals were under $1000/each. I took Kudu,Blesbuck,Blue Wildebeest,Springbuck,Impala,Gemsbuck and a Warthog for $7015 and 10 full days of hunting($300/day) plus a free day and one day before and after. I also got another Blue Wildebeest, several Warthogs and 30+ monkeys for free. I added a Waterbuck when I got there. It was $1890. My daughter paid for a Zebra($1170), Red Hartebeest($950), Kudu($810), and Warthog($340) plus several worthogs and 2 Impalla for free. She passed on a free Blue Wildebeest and just missed a chance at a caracal.
I would like to try and find a way to go back. Being disabled I am unable to just do extra work or such to make extra money as I use to. But if I can figure a way to come up with the money I will be back at Iliwa Safaris.

I paid cash at the end of my hunt and wired a $1000 deposit to hold my time slot in the beginning. Some outfits will also take a visa/master card for payment.

The trip was worth every penny I spent. When I die my daughter will get everything I own plus a sizeable life insurance payout. My funeral is already paid for. I see no reason why I(and her) cannot enjoy what I worked so hard for all my life before I die and while I am still able to. Nothing in my life was ever handed to me. I earned and worked hard enought to hurt/damage my body for it.

Back