Aging & Hunting

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
It's an interesting thing... When I was really fit, on active duty in the Marines in my 20's and 30's, I had precious little time for hunting and didn't do any really arduous "western" hunts. Chased some deer & wild hogs and did quite a bit of pheasant hunting. All rather easy compared to hiking into the high country after elk or big mule deer.

After the military, I re-discovered western hunting in my 40's and took it up with a lot of enthusiasm. Now I'm in my early 50's - and dang - it's getting tougher to climb those ridgelines. I just did a four-day solo backpack trip here in the Cascade mtns for mule deer, and the 8-mile hike into camp carrying a tent, stove, food, sleeping bag, rifle etc was a little rough. Climbed 3,000' during the 8 miles, 2,000' in the last 2 - 2.5 miles. Camped at around 6,000' ASL and hunted to over 7,000' elevation. It wasn't easy - not as easy as in years past that's for sure...
IMG_2039.jpg

I stay reasonably fit, cycling, hiking (running much is a no-no anymore due to achilles tendon problems) and lifting... But ya know what? Those mountains and ridgelines seem taller and steeper than they used to be...

Photos like Hightopoutfitters just posted, with that 74 year old hunter and his big ol' bull elk encourage me - but it's a little scary, looking at that 74 year old, and realizing that I'm closer to his age than I am to 30 years old...

You "older" guys (I'll leave the definition of older up to you)... How do you stay in the game? Physically? Mentally? Do you change your hunting plans?

Thanks, Guy

Guy, I will NOT slug through "loon sh**" anymore when bird hunting. My bird boat is on a trailor & slides off very easily. I hunt from it & do quite well from it, thank you very much :lol: :lol: I hunt deer sitting on my a** waiting & shot my best buck ever with a muzzleloader last fall (can't wait til the opener next week :p :p The moose hunt I did 4 years ago I walked 13.5 km on a portage to get to the lake on which I hunted. Was crippled for 2 days :cry: :cry: My partner said it was a "short" walk :!: :!: I'm 62. No more rough stuff. I'm not in bad shape, but because of my job, my back is buggered. Now I take it easy & still enjoy myself. I WILL take my 2 deer this year, but on my terms. I don't plan on quitting just yet. So, what ever, go & enjoy, but do it on your terms but try & stay in good (reasonable) shape :wink: :wink:

Hi Guy, I have not hunted the mountains,but I am a 55year retired insurance adjuster and want a be pastor who knows somewhat how you feel. I used carry my weight around the 300lb mark and kept in shape power lifting and as my son says eating.
I have lost almost 80 lbs and I think most of my strength. I keep in reasonable shape by walking and just being active however last few years I have really started to notice that I am not the first guy off the quad or up the tree stand. I know that the 5 and 10 mile hike into my favourite bog for moose is going to be a all day affair.
I just got back from a Elk hunt and when we saw the big 5X5 I told my nephew to take it and he did not hear me so I shot and got lucky :wink:
There are 6 or 7 of us who now hunt together and the younger guys have taken over the responsibilities of the grunt work so I guess we taught them well. When they were the kids we did alot of the work it was the same with our fathers. I guess this is why we teach our young and hopefully they will do the same.
Keep doing what you love and be safe.
At 55 I feel so blessed to still be able to get into the wilderness ( God's country). I looked in the paper today and saw the obit of a friend who I worked with for almost 30 years died of cancer he was only 62 and at 55 that does not seem real old.

Guy,

For the past ten years I've made it a point to hunt with younger men. As sask boy says, they are good fellows who are willing to do the heavy lifting.

Hey, this ageing isn't all it is cracked up to be. I suppose it beats the alternative, but there are a growing number of deficits. I have noticed that the mountains here in British Columbia are growing taller and steeper. Likely, it has something to do with global warming. The rivers are wider and swifter than ten years ago. The trout that used to live in the deep water on the far side of the river probably aren't there in any case. On the other hand, I can still look the mountain goats in the eye; it just takes me longer to get there. There is more than one moose that was sent on the way because I thought about the heavy lifting. I'm still going out into the mountains and maybe I appreciate the journey more now than when I was younger.

Guy,

I know what you mean, I just turned 50 last week. :roll:

JD338

Hi DrMike, where about are you from in the BC north my son played for the couger for a short time and I spent a number of summers in Smither.

I'm in Dawson Creek, northeast corner of the province. Where in Saskatchewan are you? Two of my dearest friends are from the Nipawin area. When I first came to Canada, I spent some time in Saskatchewan travelling between Rosetown and Saskatoon.

Guy
It's all a state of mind.
When I was young like you I hiked thrue the hill like a young buck does. Just knowing that the more country I covered the more game I would see.
Just like you, I still cover the same amount of country but at a slower pace, and you know what.
.I've found there seems to be a lot more game in that country than there used to be. by the way you described your hunt you will still be out there in your 70s and 80s. I hope to join you some day.
You are blessed with more than you know! :grin:
Greg

Hi DrMike, I live in Regina but my cousin has a cabin at Somme near Porcupine Plains that is where I hunt everything but deer and antelope. I have spent many days in Nipawin as I have relatives there and I still fish the river for monster Walleye.
Last year I spent 4 days there golfing as it has one of the nicest courses in Saskatchewan. Quit golfing this year as my buddies all joined a private club and I felt it was time to buy a fishing boat :wink:

Send me a PM and I can send you a few photos of the elk we got 2 weeks ago.

Dan

My experience with getting old is a little different than some I guess. I used to become excited when I did a kill, now I get a little teary eyed to look down at what was a beautiful animal just seconds before. I guess you realize your turn is around the corner! I still enjoy the hunt, but maybe enjoy the experience more than when I was a young man.

As for being able to do what I used to do, just take it slow and easy. Where I used to hunt years ago, the animals just aren't there anymore. Too many cats, bears and now wolves to contend with. You don't go out in the woods nowdays without at least a revolver, where 30 years ago you wouldn't think twice. Three years ago a cougar attacked my dog in my back yard, thank god it wasn't a grandkid that was there a few minutes before! Pack an elk out on your back without a weapon and watch a cougar stalking in the shadows, it puts the fear of god in you! The real old timers had a reason to want these animals thinned out. We need to plant some in the big city for the animal rights activists to hug! Where is Grizzly Adams when you need him?

Just returned yesterday from a weekend hunt. My right knee is swelling a bit. Logging the 18lb 338 Lapua in my back all day was way too much for a 52 year old knee that already been scoped once. It was also painful to watched my buddy, which is a few years older than me, struggling even on flat land on a badly worned knees that probably needed replacement long time ago. He numbed the pain by a steady diet of Advil. This is just the realities of life. I don't think we let these things get in a way in the pursuit of the sport we love so much. Like oldman said, let's just take it slow and easy from here on. I just finished building my 6.5-284 Norma. At 6.5 lbs. This is going to be my rifle of choice on most of my hunt from now on. I'm still gonna carry my big boomers if I feel like sniping but that's not gonna happen more often.

Wow,
I was guiding on my 50 year, not doing any this year at 52 as the ranch is not fully ready. I am definitely weaker, and a little shorter of breath that in my 40s. Now, I have to watch my diet, and lost around 20 lbs. I cannot drag an animal out nearly as easily, but still have a good time. For mountains, I hunt with friends and my sons when I can. For Texas, I am truly blessed with my own ranch, and the ability to get a mule almost anywhere an animal drops.

BTW, I enjoy it more than ever, but I don't take nearly as many animals. But, I had the privilege of guiding over 50 hunters on their first animal and many of the hunters were youngsters.
Hardpan

Hardpan, I agree I have grandson that is going big game this year and last year we took him pheasant hunting. He did not get any pheasant last year but he did dust a few tail feathers. The look on his face was worth all my hunting just the same as when my boys started hunting.
My closest friend's dad was the one who taught us and his saying walk faster and you will miss more. I really learned what that was all about once I grew up a bit.
There is a saying when I was 18 my dad was one of the stupidest men I knew and when I was 25 I could not believe how much he a learned in just 8 years :wink:
Keep it going slow and steady and keep the youngest coming because that is our future as well.

Blessings,
Dan

Now that I had my umbilical hernia repaired (if I told you how I got it, you wouldn't believe me anyways :lol: ) this past winter, I feel like a young buck again.
Climbing trees to bow hunt, dragging big bucks out of the swamp, etc...
just a little slower than in the past. :lol:

JD338

DrMike":2q1wnkug said:
I'm in Dawson Creek, northeast corner of the province. Where in Saskatchewan are you? Two of my dearest friends are from the Nipawin area. When I first came to Canada, I spent some time in Saskatchewan travelling between Rosetown and Saskatoon.

Heck we're practically neighbors-I'm just across the border at Beavelodge :grin:

Guy, I'm on the other side of 65 and I try to stay in shape by swimming and walking. (In Florida swimming takes place most of the year) I bicycle and about one month prior to an Elk Hunt I push the exercise issue a bit. I try to get to Colorado on a yearly basis and hunt in the 9000ft zone. I find if I leave twenty minutes earlier than I used to, and take my time It isn't too much of a problem. If anyone tells you about the golden years you can tell them their full of sh--. The older you get the more you learn to use an ATV, Block and Tackle, and plenty of rope. My hunting buddy is three years my senior and sometimes its comical to watch us get an Elk out of the woods. (Tiring but worth it)

It's not how you get the elk out of the woods, it's THAT you got an elk out of the woods :wink:

Back