alaska help

got er done both bucks were our first, buddies was a 2x2 took 2 shots tpo the boiler room at 200 yards withg a 300 weatherby and still chased the doe up a hill before falling. mine was a 3x3 that soaked up a 300 win mag like it was nothing and chased the doe for 3 minutes after being hit. 300 yard shot tough buggers indeed.

Attachments

• 101_2162.JPG
    101_2162.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,221
  • 101_2174.JPG
    101_2174.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,221
Looks like you gotter done..... Kodiak is fun when you get good weather you had! I used to shoot a lot of deer
There for the lodge, I was usually there with the Beaver and back in 1980's when the population was up it wasnt uncommon to get our fishermen all going and leave them with a guide and sneak off for an hour or two
And having spotted them while circling to land, so I knew exactly where they were, it wasn't hard to get 5 if things went well. That was all legal then. Tryed to only shoot ones that it was all downhill back to the lake! Lol
Mostly used my 243W and rarely ever had to chase one. With 100gr bullets that seamed to work perfect on them! Shot some with 22/250 and it worked great as well. Honestly once the guts were out of them they were
Darn few of them I thought were as heavy as a Spikehorn here in Maine! Shot some with nice heavy
Racks though, used to whack the quarters off em and cut legs off at knees, they fit right in the Float
Compartments fine and usually when it was time to leave the clients would ask " what was you firing
at" I would tell em " Bears I didn't want to bother you" lol
Found the 300WM & Bee's to work same on Deer & Sheep both as the experience you had, blowing holes straight through both these smallish animals, transferring little energy into them, and animals
running off, folks then coming up with the theory these animals are " tough" which of course is not true at all........... however when using bullets that are WAY too heavy for the animal being hunted
(Like a 180gr from a 300 Mag) on a 150lb medium ??? you are certainly going to be punching holes thru them from about any angle, though if there were two deer standing, one standing directly behind the other one , the bullet would likely work very well on the "second one"! :shock:
Glad you had a great trip, Kodiak is a wonderful place when it ain't raining!

Back