Alaska rifle choice

G

I have a client I am working with who has solicited my advice on a subject outside our current business transaction - he's going on a hunt in Alaska in December, for Kodiak Island Brown Bears. He currently has a 308Win, and wants to pick up a new rifle that will be more suitable for this trip. Suggestions?

dubyam

That can be a difficult decision to make. Does your friend want a rifle he can use for other game or specifically for the big Kodiak's? Also, recoil may play into the equation as well.
If it were me, I would use my 338 RUM or have my excuse for a 375 RUM.
The 375 H&H would be a great pick. He could also load it down and do some deer hunting safaris. Other choices would include 416 Rem, 458 Win and
458 Lott.

JD338

+1 on the .338 and larger calibers. The dream of someday hunting the big brown bear is the reason I bought my 338RUM and, if all goes well, loading it with 250 ABs.

Secondly, I'm sure some will chime on other "adequate" calibers, but I ask, when hunting something that big and with a temper to match, do you want to be toting something that is "adequate"?

I originally suggested a 340Wby (based on his budget) as well as some of the bigger stuff. I wouldn't go up there without at least a 338cal of some sort. He is also hunting moose, he said, so the rifle would need to be able to do double duty. He's thinking of using a 45-70, but I think that's a bad idea, personally, since moose are on the menu as well. I'd love to hear from some folks who've hunted up there, too.

dubyam,

Based on additional G2, tell him to go with a 338 RUM and don't look back.

JD338

Well,,,,, really that's a question he should be asking his outfitter/guide. I know their main question regardless will be, "can you place 2 shots on target acccurately, and relatively quick. Most that I have talked with, want you to follow up your first shot immediately. They will be carrying the hammer if necessary. Also most that I have talked with prefer something in the .338 win mag class or more, but say that you have to be accurate first and foremost. My self, the .338win mag would be my first choice, with the .375 H&H second. Two tried and proven workhorses up there.
Nothing wrong with the other s suggested however. Mostly it depends on his tolerence for recoil and skill level.

Dave

338 magnum of some sort..But he's gotta be able to handle the jump in recoil.If not use the 308 with a good bullet...

I would suggest that he use caution in choosing a long magnum action if he hunts now with a .308. Short stroking a gun on a big bear might cause a heart attack. How about a .325 WSM with a 200 grain Partition? I am just suggesting that caliber because it is a short action and quite powerful.

PS: I may be biased because I have one!

Rob

482d85c9.jpg

Just took this up in Alaska, fishing, a couple of weeks ago. I'd go with the 105mm howitzer myself... :grin:

f65ac863.jpg

No experience hunting those big bears, but they have my respect. I'd be getting with my hunting guide for his recommendation. From my little gunsafe, I'd have to pick one of my two most powerful rifles, the .300 WSM or the .45/70 Marlin. I think either one of those would work, although the traditional choice of .338 - .375 seems hard to beat. I do hear from time to time about people using even "elephant guns" like the .416's and .458's on the big bears.

Then there's that photo of the GIANT brownie the fellow took with his .300 WSM, and the one of the young teenager and his trusty .308 Win with a big Alaskan grizz...

Somehow the words "Nosler Partition" keep echoing in my mind though...

Beats me! :grin:

Properly fed the 45/70 would do well for the big bears as well as moose. I would probalby opt for something with a little more range ability for moose though. In all honesty anything 300 win mag and up will work but I would definately look to the 338-375 if he has the ability to handle the recoil. A couple of real sleeper cartridges would be the 35 whelen and 9.3x62. Either of those hit as hard or harder than the 338 win mag and are easier on your shoulder. A real stomper like the 416 or 458s aren't really needed because your guide will have a stopper rifle.

If it was me I would probably go with the 375 H&H/375 RUGER.

Thebear_78":17ceh73q said:
Properly fed the 45/70 would do well for the big bears as well as moose. I would probalby opt for something with a little more range ability for moose though. In all honesty anything 300 win mag and up will work but I would definately look to the 338-375 if he has the ability to handle the recoil. A couple of real sleeper cartridges would be the 35 whelen and 9.3x62. Either of those hit as hard or harder than the 338 win mag and are easier on your shoulder. A real stomper like the 416 or 458s aren't really needed because your guide will have a stopper rifle.

If it was me I would probably go with the 375 H&H/375 RUGER.

I totally agree, and with the sleeper cartridges, and their various configurations. There is a number of under-rated rounds out there.
And speaking of that, while I said my choices would be either the .338 win mag, or the .375, I did have an Encore barrel built in the 9.3x74R for this purpose and other uses. I hope one of these next years to get up there and use it on a Brownie.

Dave

My cousin lives in Wasilla, Alaska (actually just around the corner from Sarah, Knows the family well) He's a Maine transplant and has been living in Wasilla for 29 years. According to him the goto gun is a .338 whether it be a Winchester or Rem. ultra. All the locals favor this caliber.

Statistically the most popular cartridge in alaska is still the 30/06, followed by the 300 mags and 338 mags. There is definately nothing wrong with the 338 magnums, they work exceptionally well but if the guy isn't used to that level of recoil he could have a hard time with it.

My go to rifle here in Alaska is the 338 Win Mag in Win Mod 70.

I mostly Moose hunt and the 225 gr Nosler AccuBond with RL 19 performs excellent.

My Backup rifle is the 375 Ruger Alaskan with 260 Nosler AB and Reloader 15 ........excellent shooter.

My vote would be for a .375 H&H as the first choice and a .338 WM second.

Besides being right for the job those rounds and in particular the 375 will make for a much better story as the years go by.

dubyam":3myoqcza said:
I have a client I am working with who has solicited my advice on a subject outside our current business transaction - he's going on a hunt in Alaska in December, for Kodiak Island Brown Bears. He currently has a 308Win, and wants to pick up a new rifle that will be more suitable for this trip. Suggestions?
...................All of the above suggestions, from the 338`s to the big 45`s would certainly work for the big Kodiak bears. Not only should the caliber be taken into consideration, but imo, the rifle style or type should be as well.

For the best re-loading versatility and compromise in shorter to moderate range big bear stopping power and for longer range plains hunting, you simply cannot beat a .375!

If your client chooses to venture beyond the Kodiak bears, and go for moose, bison, a big bull elk AND not be restricted for anything in Africa, the .375 with the right bullet, offers absolutely everything!

My personal pick, a rifle for Alaskan use, as well as anywhere in the world under any weather condition is the M77 .375 Ruger Alaskan.......After much contemplating, debate and for the reasons below, I bought one in the ionized black matte. Stainless barrels are also available.

From the 20" barreled Alaskan, the .375 Ruger because of its greater powder capacity over the H&H, duplicates 24" to 25" barreled 375 H&H specs. At slightly over 40" of OAL and just a tad under 8 lbs without scope, it is a joy to handle, to carry in harsher terrains, to shoulder and with the right scope, it is very fast in target acquisition, which are advantages to be gained over a longer, fully sized 375 H&H.

With the very grippy Hogue stock, the Alaskan is purely designed as a true rough it or go anywhere rifle. No wood warping due to weather, wood scratches and nicks to ever worry about. The palm swells of the Hogue stock add to its wonderful handling. The new LC6 Ruger trigger is a joy, the action is extremely smooth with no feeding problems whatsoever and this rifle is VERY accurate.

For longer range work and with the right bullet, the .375 Ruger even with the 20" tube, shoots as flat as a 270 Win., better trajectories than the 180 gr. 30-06 and hits much harder than both upon impact.

For hunting the big bears in Alaska, its great re-loading versatility for any other hunting situation, this rifle/cartridge combo is ideal.

And, it can be had for about a grand, which is much cheaper than most DGR`s!

Your client should look very carefully at the .375 Ruger Alaskan!!

Duby...........Also!...There is a new 3 1/2 minute video on the "rifle shooter" site homepage called; "Big Caliber Hornady Cartridges" with Boddington and Steve Hornady on the range, shooting the .375 Ruger........Just a `lil tid bit...........

Back