Ammo cheaper than brass.

Last year I picked up a compact Tikka .308. Norma was having a sale on its .308 ammo and ended up being basically the same price for loaded ammo vs new brass, so I bought 200 rounds. Figured if the rifle shot well enough with I was good. If not I would have 200 rounds to plink with and then have 200 pieces of fireformed brass to start reloading.

Depends on if the brass cost $3 and ammo the same, then it's a good deal at today's market. If you can get ammo at or lower than brass cost it's even better! Picked up some 6.5prc ammo for $1.17 which was lower than brass alone. ADG brass @ $2/per for 7saum was WAY cheaper than ammo. Hopefully 250 cases will last me a good while! Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and buy ammo if you need the brass?

Now that I say it I really want to make a bastardized 300 H&H. Carbon barrel, McMillan stock, 700 clone action.... hmmm
Just like all my Weatherbys not wearing wood. You just got to do what feels right to you.

Sometimes it works out that way if you watch. Those sales on Norma ammo last yr were often right around the cost of brass, especially how cheap their 308 and 30-06 ammo was at times. Didn't need it so didn't buy any, but if a guy was looking it was a good deal.

I done that a few yrs back on 35 Remington. Guy was selling factory 200 grain Remington core lokt and had 16 boxes. I bought the whole kit and kaboodle for $15.25 a box IIRC. Couldn't hardly buy the brass for that even then.

Back