And So It Begins...

Dan it is going to be a ton of fun :) I do believe the 200 gr TTSX will work just fine.........

Scotty, sounds like a good plan. I was commenting to my buddy when we were shooting last night how much I like this gun, the most honest and dependable gun I have it always shoots well with no surprises.

I'm a little worried about spending time with these two beast slayers. Who knows how I will be contaminated? :shock: It all begins to happen next week. (y)

I look forward to reading about your nefarious exploits. :)

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vince":28ksv2pa said:
I look forward to reading about your nefarious exploits. :)

More like "bumbling" or "inept," I should think. :grin:

Waiting on a new Winchester action to arrive in Canada. There have been several delays. However, I'm assured it is on the way now together with a VX6 3-18X44 that will go on it. The scope should be here any day; the rifle, perhaps by late fall. I had some trouble with the VX3 I mounted on the 358 Norma Magnum, so it is unlikely that I will have it shooting a good load by this weekend. The 9.3X64 is shooting 250 grain ABs very well, and it is a strong contender. The 35 Whelen is giving me excellent groups with 225 grain Sierra GKs, so it is likely to accompany me. Of course, I'm always pleased with both the 270 WSM (loaded with 130 grain E-Tips) and either of the 280 Rems (one with 150 grain ABLR and the other with 140 grain Partitions). These are all contenders. I'm guessing, however, that either the Brenneke or the Whelen will accompany me in the field. Perhaps the 8X68 can still make it for a late bear hunt or late-in-the-season elk. We'll see.

I didn't remember seeing a report on the 8x68 so I was curious about it. The best I can tell a 6.5x68 Imp will gain me about 3grs of capacity over my 6.5-300wm with Winchester brass and about 6grs over the RWS brass so it looks like I'll probably do it. I also have 2 Kreiger 6.5mm 8 twist barrels inbound that I should do something with. :lol: 3300-3350fps with a 140 and without a belt would be a good thing.

I flipped a coin when I was deciding on the 358 Norma Mag; my choice was between that and a 6.5X68. The bigger cartridge won out. That 6.5 sure looks exciting to me. It is definitely stepping out there. As an Improved, it would be smoking.

Dr. Mike,
Enjoyed the write up on the hunt with Noah, he couldn't have a better Teacher! Pulling for both of your success.

Dan.
I'd say the rifles are ready, fine shooting on your part. But you know I'm partial to the Whelen. :mrgreen: Aren't you shooting the 225 AB in the Whelen?

Don

DrMike":3kjga7lh said:
I flipped a coin when I was deciding on the 358 Norma Mag; my choice was between that and a 6.5X68. The bigger cartridge won out. That 6.5 sure looks exciting to me. It is definitely stepping out there. As an Improved, it would be smoking.

I've owned a few 358STA's over the years and still have one. They put a wallop on things. I think I shot 5 or 6 elk with mine. It's just another 150fps or so over a 358 Norma.

Good luck to you and Noah on the quest for a moose.

Oh, Wow, Dan! Newsflash! Our left leaning provincial government is feeling the heat because of their leaning to the left. Consequently, they are trying to deal with the issue on the backs on left-handed hunters. No left-handed rifles are allowed on moose hunts this year! The premier wants to avoid looking as if she is leaning leftward. You will have to leave both of your rifles home if you still want to hunt. Don't worry, I've got you covered with some proper firearms. Man, I hate to break this to you. Let me know what you want to do.

Uh Oh Dan...... Sounds like a minor set back... Maybe you can break in Mikes new 358 Norma for him!

Feeling bad for Dan, Scotty. He may have to watch me while I hunt. 'Course, that can be pretty exciting in its own right. :? I do face plants and play like a tortoise while trying to walk down forest paths. Poor boy.

Wis65x55":30p0xa4w said:
Is this going to be a hunting trip or the lost episode of Abbott & Costello? :shock:
Keith
Oh I think I'd like to be a fly on the tent wall for this epic !

Guess I will have to bring the old 303 British then, the only RH gun in the house :)

I think Dan and I may have a few tricks up our sleeve as well ;)

Ha, Gerry won't even get a chance to get out of his hometown. He will have to sneak in his lefty rifle.

Wis65x55":l1fwhyh9 said:
Is this going to be a hunting trip or the lost episode of Abbott & Costello?
More like the Three Stooges, I fear. :mrgreen:

Hi I am Curly, I have a problem cause premier or no premier I am going to bring my left handed rifles :wink:. I checked with the wildlife officers & was advised that I can purchase lefty only Moose tag & permit.
He advised that certain people of the right persuasion have had control to long & it is time that lefties take to the front :mrgreen:!
DrMike, even Noah has come to the left (y).
I promise DrMike this will not hurt much!!

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":rmaji3g1 said:
Hi I am Curly, I have a problem cause premier or no premier I am going to bring my left handed rifles :wink:. I checked with the wildlife officers & was advised that I can purchase lefty only Moose tag & permit.
He advised that certain people of the right persuasion have had control to long & it is time that lefties take to the front :mrgreen:!
DrMike, even Noah has come to the left (y).
I promise DrMike this will not hurt much!!

Blessings,
Dan
You tell 'em mate! [emoji106] [emoji4]

Back