And So It Begins...

Mike,

What an exciting hunt! You have taught Noah well. His moment is going to happen......soon.
Looking forward to hearing more and seeing pictures. Best of luck to you fellas, I'm pulling for you.

JD338

Noah is learning well and you have a lot to be proud of.
I have no doubt he'll full the freezer with a moose. If not this year then soon. The memories he's making he will cherish for a lifetime.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thought I'd post a photo of Noah on his stand. He was intent throughout the hunt. His stepdad took these two pictures.

It was pretty cool, even in the evening when these pictures were taken. He stayed alert, however.

Making memories DrMike & you can't beat the outdoors to keep a young fellows attention as there is always something to see :wink:.
Hope you connect real soon (y),

Blessings,
Dan

He's a great hunting partner, Pat, and a quick study. I'm quite proud of Noah. He handles firearms far more safely than about any of the adults I'm around. He is learning his limits and willing to work within those limits. Now, if only the old guy will learn the same lessons concerning his physical abilities! :oops:

Yeah who is he calling old? I am not even there yet :lol:! Sent Mike a photo maybe he will post here as it shows targets I sighted in the 35 Whelen with that new to me Diavari on top. Also a few more shots out of the 280AI.
Getting closer (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Dan's preparation for hunting BC. The left target is from his 35 Whelen with the Diavari sighted in. The right target is his 280 AI.

Dan,

That is some fine shooting.
Is the 35 Whelen sighted 2" high at 100 yds?

JD338

Yes, actually I took it down 2 clicks after shooting this last target. I shot 2 at 25yards then 3 @ 100 yards if you look you can see the first bullet hit 30 clicks high :shock:. That should make it dead on at 200 yards I believe. After the targets I played a bit shooting at the gong which is out at just about 225yards.
Yesterday was the first time I have been at the range since before my surgery last October :mrgreen:. My wife went with me for the first time, she actually enjoyed it as she marked with the spotting scope. She was shocked how gong reacted when struck by a bullet.
Thanks DrMike for posting, I sure hope that you & Noah are having a great first week!

Blessings,
Dan

Now we will just need to find a few moose. What do they look like, Dan? I saw an entire field of black moose yesterday. The farmer said they would only cost me a couple of thousand each! :shock: Man, this hunting is going to get expensive.

Shooting went well today again so I feel good out to 300 yards. I'm sure we can get even closer than that anyway. The 200 gr AccuBond and the 200 gr TTSX both grouped at around 1 1/4" at 250 yards, prone with a sling so I feel good about it. At 300 with the TTSX I was a bit more wobbly shooting from a dirt pile but I was able to see what the drop would be. It was a bit windy tonight but the 35 Whelen wasn't affected too bad by it. Going to go with the 200 gr TTSX this time since I haven't shot any game with it yet but have with the AccuBond. Clocked the 200 gr TTSX load before, 57 gr IMR 8208 was 2864 fps using a Rem 9 1/2 M primer. Should work well on moose or elk...........

gerry":3p9w0ts2 said:
Clocked the 200 gr TTSX load before, 57 gr was 2864 fps using a Rem 9 1/2 M primer. Should work well on moose or elk...........

That should work very well, Gerry. I should imagine that'll put the smack down on about anything.

Corrected my earlier post, the powder is IMR 8208. Yes that bullet should do the job nicely :)

Gerry 200grs. of bullet coming out of a 35 Whelen should be devastating :wink:!! I am so looking forward to this up coming hunt we should have a absolute hoot.

Blessings,
Dan

That sounds like a super load Gerry. I am going to try some of the 200's from my Whelen. I figure I have the Newton for the 225 and heavier, might as well see what happens..

I am looking forward to your hunt. I have no doubts on the 200 TTSX though.. It'd be neat if you were able to recover one, but that is asking a bunch I bet.

Back