And So It Begins...

sask boy":jef57r1s said:
Man I can't remember the screaming part but I will tell you that my next truck quest will also include looking at the Toyota it went places that my GM may not have made or just maybe I would not have taken it :wink:.
Gil also owns a Tundra & has spent many years working in the Mountains, if anyone told me that a driver does not make a difference I would send them to Gil as he took his truck in alot of places quads would not venture and he did not have a problem at anytime.
Now Mike will likely tell you that he taught Gil everything he knows and I do not have any evidence to prove otherwise 8)!! Sorry Gil but we do know what Mike is going to say.

Blessings,
Dan

Yeah...we know what Mike will probably say!:roll:
But someone had to get him out of one of the vehicles that the good pastor previously drove with the initials that spell "F"aith "O"n "R"eaching "D"estination!

A man should not have to pray everytime he ventures forth, in order to be reasonably confident that he will get to where he is going, and be able to return home :lol:

But I believe that most of the people on this site will be able to discern fact from fiction! :wink:

The Tundra is a great truck, and can make a inexperienced off-roader more comfortable in acquiring new skills, while impressing those amazed at where these capable vehicles can go.

But given enough time in the sticky clay, bottomless bogs and steep mountain country that we get to call home here in northeastern BC, I'm still amazed at where man has travelled and where we can put a trail and still drive, while flatlanders will often look at them and fear to tread on foot (and in some cases, for good reason!) :mrgreen: Don't worry Dan, Mike suffered the same when he first arrived here (whether he recalls it or not is another matter), even if he did spend time in the lower mainland before arriving here in the north. It comes with time.)

As for those mythical moose that have learned to read the regulations; I am starting to think that they sent those elk a memo, because they are as difficult to find in the legal shooting hours as those wily bullwinkles!

Spent Friday evening and all day yesterday out exploring some new country, and while we did find some fresh sign, it is evident that they are spending more time moving during the night. Also found sign of quite a few black bears and a couple of different family groups of grizzlies (the one sow has a front pad approx. 6" wide). Would have been a treat to see her and her two nearly grown cubs.

The grouse are there, and the rabbits numerous. Those speedy rabbits are proving to be difficult to get within range of. Going to have to pack the 17, since most will not let you get within 70 yards. But did manage to bring home a couple of ruffies and a bunny. Loving the new 28!

Dan has forwarded a few pictures that can be shared with the forum. I'll post them for him. However, it is necessary to respond to my beloved friend (and distorter of the facts, aka Blkram), I never had the fears that have afflicted Saskboy. I admit that I did drop a quarter on a few occasions and spent an inordinate amount of time searching on the floor to find the coin. I am thrifty, if nothing else. Still, here is a taste of hunting with this crew.

First, there is a reason Blkram finds fewer and fewer game animals--he is spending a great deal of time searching out and dining on mountain blueberries. We have photographic proof of this. He has even perverted our dear friend, Gerry! :?

Gil did take the boys into some fascinating country when he drove them down into the mountains.

The lads were able to spend some time looking at the goats whilst traipsing through the mountain defiles.

Meanwhile, we ventured into the back country looking for moose (and whitetail for Noah). Here was the road in that we took.

You can see a little of the area through which Gerry attempted to push game while Dan, Noah and I waited for the unwary quarry. Unfortunately, the quarry wasn't truly unwary! :? Nevertheless, it was a right moosey area (and quite elky, I might add).

Dan did snap a picture of the bear that came strolling down the road. I was alternately dancing about debating whether to shoot or not. I cried a little at the thought of passing up a shot on a bear. Later, Dan's grandson wanted to know why he took a picture of a "skunk!" Honestly, guys, it is a bear--and a nice one at that!

Despite everything, God smiled on our ventures and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

Hey those berries were awfully good, I was tempted to be just like a bear and lay down on my belly, pull the bushes in and just graze :shock: They are much sweeter then they are here........

gerry":1y9upwee said:
I was tempted to be just like a bear and lay down on my belly, pull the bushes in and just graze :shock:

I have done precisely that on numerous occasions, Gerry. They are sweet! (y)

I will totally agree with Gerry on those Blueberries! I have eaten them a bit from northern Saskatchewan & they are better than commercial store boughts!! But those Mountain Blueberries are 3 steps above any Blueberry that I have eaten to-date :)!!
Mike kept mentioning Huckleberries but I believe he kept them to himself as we did not find them in our travels :wink:!!
I know that if my wife would have been with me it would have cut into my hunting time as we would have been picking a couple 5 gallon pales of those Blueberries while there (y)!!

Blessings,
Dan

Look like a good time was had by all, and nobody ruined a perfectly good moose hunt by shooting a moose. ( my Granpa always would use this remark).
Harvest is in full swing here and I missed meeting up with Dan on his trip home . But I did get a real good first hand account on the phone with Dan. Next time the stars may align, and the animals will cooperate a bit better.

I am sorry I am late to this posting. What a fascinating read to read this from the beginning. It sounds like a great time was had by all. It is great to see such comradery. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us. I am sorry no moose were tagged but it sure sounds like you reaped the rewards of great memories and shared experiences.

Labour Day was invested in hunting with Blkram. Didn't see the volumes we wanted, though he did tag a couple of ruffies. I just got home from taking the Boy Wonder (aka Noah) out to look for a whitetail buck. We got caught by rain. Man, I'm beginning to think I should have kept the wounded knees! :(

I am starting to use my Cree name that Gil (Blkram) gave me Danny Whiteknuckles. I have showed some of the photos and people here in Saskatchewan are amazed at the sights.
DrMike, I prayed that those knees of yours continue to heal and that Noah does connect on a nice fat Whitetail buck (y)!!
Just wondering have you sat back where that mature Bull showed himself opening morning?

Blessings,
Dan

Haven't been back yet, Dan. Busy this week editing television programming. Still dream about it, though.

Thanks to all for posting such a great story of your adventures together.. Good luck in your pursuit of good trophies in the future.

Rol,

It has been great fun with some great people. I look forward to more interaction (emphasis on ACTION) with this crew. The season isn't over--it's just beginning for me. Now, I just need to figure out a way to slip away from all my responsibilities.

Action?
I seen more pictures of slumbering contemplation in this thread than I get in a month. :)

Just kidding. I know hunting is mentally taxing and requires deep introspection that to the uninitiated may resemble slumber. :)

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vince I thought the good Dr. was just inspecting the inside of his eye lids to make sure there wasn't any moose hiding there. :roll: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

I am glad that some of you good gentleman realize that the good Doctor stretched a few of the stories just slightly :wink:. But just so you know that my campfire will always welcome a great friend like DrMike along with Gerry, Gil, & Noah.
I have told my hunting group about these fine men and I know that they will have a home here in Saskatchewan if they ever decide to take a trip here :mrgreen:!

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1ax7mwsa said:
I am glad that some of you good gentleman realize that the good Doctor stretched a few of the stories just slightly :wink:.

Stretching! Moi! I represent that, Dan! My but that hurts! How sharper than a serpent's tooth... etc., etc., etc.

Always great to spend time with good people in the woods.

Back