Annealing Brass

G'Day Fella's,

I have an idea in my head for an annealing device!
Unlike most others (how unusual for me!), I want to use a straight line means of traversing the cases and use electricity to heat the cases!
I can't remember what you call the resistance wires that I want to use but their the same thing that are inside Toaster, that we use to toast our slices of bread!!!
I have already made up the electric motor driven traversing mechanism to move the cases along, I just need the time to finish this off and then design and make the adjustable holding device for the Hot Wires!

Hope that spurs a few more of you into design mode!!!

Doh!
Homer

HomerOz":15gqo4gb said:
G'Day Fella's,

I have an idea in my head for an annealing device!
Unlike most others (how unusual for me!), I want to use a straight line means of traversing the cases and use electricity to heat the cases!
I can't remember what you call the resistance wires that I want to use but their the same thing that are inside Toaster, that we use to toast our slices of bread!!!
I have already made up the electric motor driven traversing mechanism to move the cases along, I just need the time to finish this off and then design and make the adjustable holding device for the Hot Wires!

Hope that spurs a few more of you into design mode!!!

Doh!
Homer

Homer, if it works, you gotta post up a few video's. Joel has a very slick machine for annealing, but loads alot more at a time than I do. For now, do 50 cases at a spell makes the drill easier, since I cane do different cases all at once.

Sounds pretty cool though.

That does sound interesting, Homer. I'll be most interested to see what you come up with. I can visualise something, but the reality may be quite different.

G'Day Fella's,

Jimbires, Thank You for that, yes an Induction Heating system is what I require!

As soon as I have made some more progress on this and have some understandable images, I'll post them here!!!

Doh!
Homer

truck driver":1uvczhoz said:
always something new to learn here.

Here's something I read over on Long range, Take a regular candle and light, grasp a piece of brass about mid ways roll the brass in the flame with your fingers counting 1 2 3 4 5 6 when the brass gets too hot to hold drop it on a damp cloth remembering the number when it got too hot to hold so on the next piece you can hold it at the base and count till you reach the number that was too hot to hold and place on damp cloth to cool. A shooter and metallurgist named Fred Braker claims that using a torch gets the brass to hot and makes it to soft to hold the bullets.
Don't know if this works but it might be worth a try, just don't burn your fingers. :lol:

Back