Another .243 on the way...

Got around to some loading today. No shooting yet unfortunately, but hopefully in the next few weeks. I'm trying this a little different than I usually do. 87 grain HPBT, Superformance, started at 45gr and loaded one round each in half grain increments up to 49gr. Idea is just to find max and then back down and shoot the top four charge weights for groups. Also loaded some 90 grain E-tips with Superformance. Started at 42 grains and went up to 46 grains. Same deal, just trying to establish max.

Also, I admit that I am winging it a bit with the Superformance. Does anybody think that my starting charges are too high? The info on this powder is strange. The burn rate is right next to H4831 but most load data I've seen treats it more like H4350.

OK, well I'm going to touch them off through a chronograph so I will post the results. I'm going on a fishing trip this weekend though. I will follow up with chrono results.

DrMike":3bfn7t8u said:
I may just check it out in my grandson's .243, Scotty. I wasn't displeased with it.

The charge was 44.5 grains of H4350. OAL was adjusted to 0.100 inches off the lands.

Dr Mike,
Is this load compressed?, what did OAL approx end up at if you remember, or maybe a better question is where did top groove end up at neck?

The load was not compressed in this rifle. The OAL was 2.798 inches (0.100 inches off the lands). I really can't tell you where the top groove was.

DrMike":35ps4c6i said:
The load was not compressed in this rifle. The OAL was 2.798 inches (0.100 inches off the lands). I really can't tell you where the top groove was.

Barrel length? I am guessing that with this velocity is a 26 or 28" model?

DrMike":3pildh09 said:
Twenty-six

Thanks that helps a lot! I finally have found H4350 again for first in a long time, gonna try the 80TTSX with it and this helps some speed I should watch for in the 20" barrel. Thinking 3300 may be possible.

MAinAR":61bqfkqn said:
DrMike":61bqfkqn said:
Twenty-six

Thanks that helps a lot! I finally have found H4350 again for first in a long time, gonna try the 80TTSX with it and this helps some speed I should watch for in the 20" barrel. Thinking 3300 may be possible.

3300fps is my goal with the 80 grain TTSX. H4350 may do it but I think Superformance or RL17 is more likely.

Used archived Barnes load data of up to max of 45.5 grain H4350 at OAL 2.61" with 80gr TTSX and Fed 210 primer.

Worked up to max at 45.5 grains H4350
From 20" Savage factory barrel!!
Bolt lift good.
Primer flat but no mushroom top.
Minor crater around primer strike.
Measured primer pockets after 3 firings at .2085"

Magento Speed velocity 3 shots at 70 degrees

Now will go to 200 yds and check consistency / accuracy!

May not hit a bull in the behind, but we see.

That's sounding good! Hopefully it groups nice and tight for you. Sounds like H4350 will be my next round of test loads.

UPDATE:

200 yd target just now shot at 200yds at 75 degrees. Shot 3 for group at 10minute waits then waited 20 minutes and strapped Magneto Speed back on and shot 3,401fps

Dang, I've never done that. I wait enough time to work the bolt and get back on target when shooting for groups or for speed.

HeathSexton":1t5a2ywn said:
Dang, I've never done that. I wait enough time to work the bolt and get back on target when shooting for groups or for speed.

I do too if shooting a stressed relieved barrel that will take some heat and not crawl away, but on factory made barrels they nearly all crawl in one direction as they heat!

On factory barrels I will sometimes shoot 2 back to back to make sure barrel is not just running away, LOL...... but have seen many that do, guns that will shoot the first shot in the same place every hour but shot back to back be 3 moa...

All mine are factory rifles that are bedded and floated.

That's interesting, it's obviously working for you

HeathSexton":2liziwyd said:
All mine are factory rifles that are bedded and floated.

That's interesting, it's obviously working for you

Bedding and Floating will not help a stress induced barrel at all other than make it more stable for the first shot.

Just got done messing with a Remington 30-6 that is brand new and first to second shot would move 3" at a 100 yards (moved up and left but can move in any 360 degree direction depending on where hammer forging induced stress). Shots 2, 3 and 4 then would go in an inch. Pay attention when the second shot ALWAYS moves the same direction......

After several unsucessful attempts to solve pulled barrel off and put on a take off off another -06 and same ammo went under and inch. Any time you have a good factory barrel, and there are many that are, you KEEP it.

Finally got around to shooting some test loads. Went with my wife and two daughters so I didn't get to shoot as much of "My stuff" as I wanted but I do have some velocity numbers.

87 grain Hornady HPBT, molly coated
Win brass
BR2 primers
Superformance powder

45gr-2976
45.5gr-2976
46gr-3051
46.5gr-3079
47gr-3100
47.5gr-3115
48gr-3205
48.5gr-3259
49gr-3244

I don't believe that 49gr is max and I'm not sure what to think about the velocity. 47gr is probably the sweet spot I'd say but I'm going to go up a few more steps to see how it looks. No ejector marks and primers aren't that flattened either. I did not shoot for groups and I also didn't get to shoot the 90 gr E-tip loads.

Got this little thing out to the range today to shoot some groups. Most loads were pretty dismal to be honest. The factory "bedding" on the stock is a joke. There were two loads that stood out however and it's interesting that with the 87gr hpbt and the 90gr e-tip, the best loads were almost at the same velocities.

Attachments

• 20170909_162033.jpg
    20170909_162033.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,420
Back