Another satisfying afternoon.

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
A buddy called yesterday and invited me to join their monthly 1K competition this Sunday. I'm not yet sure if I'll be able to make it since me and the wifey have prior comittment but just incase, I'll get the 308 and the 338 Lapua ready with the 6.5 as standby. I'm planning to enter the 338 for large caliber and the 308 for medium. So off to the range this afternoon to check the rifle zero. I'm shooting the 155 grain Scenar for the 308, 300 grain SMK for the 338 Lapua and 142 grain SMK for the 6.5. All three rifle shoot really well at 110 yards. Not sure what it will do at 1K though. All groups were 5 shot.

shoot3-22001.jpg

shoot3-22012.jpg

shoot3-22011.jpg

shoot3-22007.jpg

Dang DF,

Ya know with the combination of those kick butt rifles of yours and the sunshine I am seeing in the pictures makes me want to research my family tree to see if we are related so I can justify moving in with you.

Great shooting too.. I'll be anxiously awaiting a report on Sunday eve, Uncle DF!!!

:mrgreen:

Rod

nodak7mm":1nxt1266 said:
Dang DF,

Ya know with the combination of those kick butt rifles of yours and the sunshine I am seeing in the pictures makes me want to research my family tree to see if we are related so I can justify moving in with you.

Great shooting too.. I'll be anxiously awaiting a report on Sunday eve, Uncle DF!!!

:mrgreen:

Rod

Rod, you're funny!

I'll trade the earthquake and sunshine for your flood and snow :) . Believe me, sunshine is all we have left here in Peoples Republic of Kalifornistan. The state is broke.

Not sure if we're related... Is your Dad ever been to Clark or Subic? :oops: :lol:

JD338":38me8l7i said:
DF,

Nice shooting, as usual. 8)

JD338

Thanks JD! It's such a pleasure shooting these rifles or any of my rifle for that matter. These 3 though are becoming to be my favorite.

shoot3-22008.jpg

shoot3-22009.jpg

shoot3-22010.jpg

DF,

Beautiful rifles, always a joy to see them and how they perform.

JD338

Great shooting DF. Keep us posted on your 1000yd results. I think you're going to surprise yourself. :grin: :grin:
P.S. great looking rifles and they're shooters too.

Great shooting DF. Those are some awesome groups. I wouldn't think your 339LAI is barely getting warmed up at 110 yards. Awesome rifles. They look really good. Good luck in your match if you get to attend. Scotty

GB300wm":260s93v1 said:
Great shooting DF. Keep us posted on your 1000yd results. I think you're going to surprise yourself. :grin: :grin:

Thanks GB. I'll be up against the 50's shooter on the large caliber. No doubt the rifle and the loads are up to the task however the shooter is questionable. :grin:

beretzs":z1lic0uq said:
Great shooting DF. Those are some awesome groups. I wouldn't think your 339LAI is barely getting warmed up at 110 yards. Awesome rifles. They look really good. Good luck in your match if you get to attend. Scotty

They sure do Scotty. I'm still waiting for permission from the CO to cancel the prior commitment so that I can get to the shoot.

Desert Fox":1myernnt said:
GB300wm":1myernnt said:

Thanks GB. I'll be up against the 50's shooter on the large caliber. No doubt the rifle and the loads are up to the task however the shooter is questionable. :grin:

After looking at your groups and consistency, I have total confidence in your abilities to compete. I believe I'd favor the 338 lapua to the big 50's at that range. The 338 lapua can hold its own at 1000. That 300 smk will hold true and not let you down. Good Luck and have fun. :grin: :grin:

Thanks for the confidence and encouragement GB. My buddy had been prodding me for quite sometime now. I only compete against myself :) and never with someone else. I think it's time to race these thoroughbreds.

Good shooting, hopefully you can get out to compete. Judging by those groups, you should do well.

JT.

jtoews80":348mne7d said:
Good shooting, hopefully you can get out to compete. Judging by those groups, you should do well.

JT.

Thanks JT. Well, I was able to talk my wife into cancelling the prior commitment so it's a go this Sunday. I'll compete in the morning with my 308 and with 338 Lapua Ackley in the afternoon. Hope the wind will be mild enough so that it won't be a factor. My buddy told me that it can gust up to 15 MPH on occasion.

This will be my first competition ever. My buddy is confident that I would do well. Maybe he knows something that I don't. We will see!

Back