Another scope bites the dust!

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Darn that 378 Bee!

Went out today and shot her again.

First two shots with 260 accubonds and H4831 went into the same hole. So far so good,
Third shot went .8" away. OK I can live with that.... Fourth and verifier 3" away. Oh Oh!

To make a long story short loads were

260 AB 112 113 H4831
230 Raptors H4350
270 Hornady H4831
250 TTSX with RL22
300 Sierra BT IMR 7828
300 Sierra BT RL25.

Best group (after the initial group) was 3.5-4" worst was 10" at 100 yds. :x :shock:

This is a 4.5x14x40mm MARK 4 30mm strongest scope they make.

Before this she broke a 3.5x10 VARI x-3
and a 4.5x14x40mm 30mmtube LR VX3

What to do? Called Leupold and they were amazed. The manage said sent the scope back to his attention to analyze it in the impact department. We will see!!!!!!!!!

This was with a brake, right? Was it shot off of a Lead Sled?

I think Fotis sold his lead sled not too long ago.

You might have to step up to a Nightforce and deal with the additional weight.

BK":14viyic0 said:
This was with a brake, right? Was it shot off of a Lead Sled?

Based on Leupold's recommendation I sold the lead sled. Too much on the scope. They told me to get the Mark 4 toughest scope they make. I did and that is what broke today.

It does have a muzzle brake.

Nightforce is great but it looks so out of place on a 8.5 lbs light svelte looking sporter.

They said the Mark 4 might be too heavy for the 378 Bee.

I guess you could try one of the European scopes to see if they are better. A Nightfore would look like a horses behind but I doubt you could break one.

Nightforce will stand up to exaggerated recoil; they do resist a beating. I am surprised at the Mark 4 failed on you. I've shot a fair number of 30-378s and 338-378s, but I've not had a scope failure yet. In earlier days, they were virtually all wearing Nightforce scopes. There may be a reason for that.

Fotis

What a bummer! Hope Leupold comes back with a solution.
NF may be a solution with the smaller scope if Leupold gives you full credit on the Mark 4. Maybe a Leupold fixed 6x36mm is the answer. It would serve you well as a short to mid range set up.

JD338

JD338":22q64joi said:
Fotis

What a bummer! Hope Leupold comes back with a solution.
NF may be a solution with the smaller scope if Leupold gives you full credit on the Mark 4. Maybe a Leupold fixed 6x36mm is the answer. It would serve you well as a short to mid range set up.

JD338

I have read the fixed power Leupolds are supposed to be very tough which is why a 6X36 is going on my 35 Whelen. Hopefully you can get it all sorted out soon.

I'd strongly consider a Zeiss Conquest on that rifle, Fotis. Several guys I know have had them and had good luck with them. I've had no trouble out of the one on my 300'bee, but of course that's not an apples to apples comparison. Maybe we should rename the 378-based stuff from 'bees to Hornets?

If Leupy rebuilds it for you and you decide to let it go, gimme a shout. I might be interested...

I had my tail kick by a 30mm scope moving in the rings . I could not keep it tight .I replaced the rings with a wider set . do you think your scope could be moving ? you could put a witness mark or two on it to see for sure . just a thought I have . Jim

jimbires":1a3jbpp9 said:
I had my tail kick by a 30mm scope moving in the rings . I could not keep it tight .I replaced the rings with a wider set . do you think your scope could be moving ? you could put a witness mark or two on it to see for sure . just a thought I have . Jim

Did that no movement at all. Leupold steel bases with steel QRW rings.

This thread is interesting. I initially had scope problems with my 338RUM, scope, a 30mm VX-3, kept moving around- the recoil destroyed the Leupy standard rings/bases. A set of Talley mounts cured that problem - 30mm Tally system was on sale at Midway at that time. :grin:

Since I had that issue with the 338RUM, I bought Leupy dual dove tail mounts/rings and not had a problem on my 375RUM which is sporting a std VX-3.

I haven't had an issue with either scope and neither rifle has a muzzle brake. I'm fairly sure the 375RUM recoil is comparable, if not more, to the braked 378WBY Fotis is working on.

Fotis, the QRW rings ought to hold it. I am surprised that the Mark 4 scope broke. I have always heard that was Leupold's toughest scope but any scope can be built badly on an off day. Hopefully whatever Leupold does will fix it.

I guess I have been lucky! I have a Mark 4 4.5-14x40mm mounted in standard rings and bases on my 338 RUM and haven't had any problems. I have my fingers crossed now that I have the brake installed.

JD338

Is zeiss any better I wonder??????????????

Back