Another test, B&C reticle

R Flowers

Handloader
Oct 23, 2004
I have stated on here before that I am really impressed with the Leupold scopes which have the Boone and Crockett reticle. I must be, I have five of them.

I used one last fall to kill an elk at a lasered 434 yards, worked great.

At any rate, I have been playing with loads in my 270 WSM. I wound up shooting the 110 grain Tipped TSX at 3600 fps. That shoots too flat to use my normal set up of zeroing at 200 yards with most loads. I set the gun up to be dead on at 300 yards then did a little test.

I fired groups using the next couple of lines down from the center crosshair as aiming points. When zeroed at 300, those lines should be on at 400 and 500 yards. (according to the book that comes with the scope)
I came home and measured how high the centers of those groups were from the aiming point.

I plugged that data into my Sierra Infinity ballistic program and it calculated that those lines are on at 410 and 510 yards. I feel like that is pretty damned close! I like it! Look out antelope this fall.

Superb! Makes me want to transfer my VX-L from the 7 mm WSM to the 270 WSM.

Sweet...make sure you verify it in real world circumstances.

R Flowers

Thanks for the report! The B&C reticle seems to be most impressive.
What power range scope are you using and at what power are you using for these results?

JD338

R Flowers

Thanks for the report! The B&C reticle seems to be most impressive.
What power range scope are you using and at what power are you using for these results?

JD338

JD, my scope on that rifle is a 4.5X14x40 LR. I had it turned up all the way to 14 so that the large diamond was under the pointer. I am really impressed with how well this system works. I think it is well worth the extra cost.

Just giving another thumbs up on the BC scopes.
I have 3 and am about to buy another from Cabelas Bargin Cave tonight. I do the same thing when sighting in and then calc the curve in a ballistics program and have shot deer and elk using the "other" tics on the reticle. The system sure works. I try to sight in so that the "ballistic curve" is simalar for the three guns I have these scopes on. That way I only have to remember 410 -480 - 520 for example.

I like how the B&C is nice and dark, in low light. It just looks like a duplex. Against a regular duplex reticle in otherwise identical 2.5x8's, the B&C is easily more visble in very low light.

I've run the B&C on a half-dozen different calibers and/or loads. It just... works! :)

Back