ANTELOPE RIFLE ???

GermanShorthair

Beginner
Jan 1, 2008
I need some help if ya'll don't mind :? Me and a bud are going to area 23 in wyoming on an antelope hunt this October. I have two questions that i am having a hard time making a decision on. I am stuck betwwen choosing 270 Win / 270WSM :grin: / 6.5-284 :?:
I also would like a Cooper M52 but i am worried about nicking the wood in the field...I have been also looking at Remington Alaskan Ti , Kimber 8400 , and Tikka T3.

Any suggestions :?:

I personally would use the 6.5-284. Depending on the range of shot chances, I sight my weapon in for 250 yards.

Dont know much about the 6.5. Supposed to be the long range crowds current "darling". Cant go wrong either way I'd guess. Get good binocs, stalk if you can (sounds like fun to me) and practice in the wind.

PRONGHORN064.jpg

The buck below was taken in '06 with the lowly 250-3000 savage. either of your choices and lots of others should work. good luck- have fun

GermanShorthair":wiqput9i said:
I need some help if ya'll don't mind :? Me and a bud are going to area 23 in wyoming on an antelope hunt this October. I have two questions that i am having a hard time making a decision on. I am stuck betwwen choosing 270 Win / 270WSM :grin: / 6.5-284 :?:
I also would like a Cooper M52 but i am worried about nicking the wood in the field...I have been also looking at Remington Alaskan Ti , Kimber 8400 , and Tikka T3.

Any suggestions :?:
.........................Although a good `ol 243 is great for antelopes, anything from the fast 25`s up to and including the 270`s will certainly be ideal.............Between your 3 choices, I`ll go with the 270 WSM here. Why?........Like the 270 Win., there are more rifle manufacturers that chamber the 270 WSM, which allows you a greater rifle selection from which to choose as opposed to the 6.5/284.........Secondly! With the exception of the big bears, the 270 WSM is better suited for all larger game. More versatility in heavier bullets for the larger animals..............The 270 WSM is a great flat shooter nearing the capabilities of 270 Wby. IMO, your versatility on the heavier end is better with the 270 and is better for all around use. But then again, all N/A big game has been taken with the 257 Wby. including the big bears!............With a nice wood stock, you will find yourself sometimes being too careful in the field, when you should be enjoying and concentrating on the hunt. With wood, no matter how careful you are,,SOONER OR LATER,,the scratches and little nicks will come!......I prefer a synthetic, composite or the Hogues! They are oil proof, solvent proof, weather proof, scratch proof etc. An expensive rig with custom wood SURE looks fantastic, but they can be high maintainence, not only with scratching to deal with, but with weather related issues as well........If your heart says Cooper, then go with Cooper and let the scratches and nicks fall where they may!

Its hard to beat a accurate 270win for antalope. A 130-140gr billistic tip would a great load. And very one makes a 270win rifle its popular for a very good reason "its works".

270 wsm for me. That said all your choices will do!

I vote with Cloverleaf! :grin: He's the only one of ya who posted a photo of an antelope, an antelope rifle and an antelope hunter... :grin:

Come on guys - let's see those antelope rifles & trophy photos!

Me? I've never even had an antelope tag, although it sure seems like it would be a LOT of fun to hunt those cool Speed Goats... CL, I gotta say, the suspension on that chair must make for a bumpy ride out there on the prairie... That is so cool that you got out and got 'er done. I need to get my act together and go 'lope hunting someday. BTW - do you have a better photo of that lace-on leather butt-stock pad? It looks good.

I've got this cool anti-mulie .25-06 that I suspect would work well for antelope.

Regards, Guy

Out of your three go with the 270 WSM your speed goat hunt sounds like fun and maybe some day I might get lucky and finaily draw a tag.

I'll pull out my soap-box again..... if your a handloader, I'd take a serious look at the 6.5-284... bullet B/C is just slightly better, but you loose on the velocity end compared to the .270's.
I agree with the previous however, the .270wsm may have the advantage with the heavier bullets if you don't have a heavier caliber for possible larger game later on.....??

7 rem mag or 7WSM or 7SAUM...better bullet selection than .277 and can be used for all your big game hunting needs near and far.

If you're looking to spend the money on a Kimber, why not look at the .257 Weatherby Magnum, in a WBY Mark V? This would definitely be my pick for the best Pronghorn caliber out their!
Here's a picture from our last trip for Pronghorns in Oregon. The Buck scored 83 3/8 B&C.
This is my Dad's and he was shooting a Weatherby Accumark, with 120 Partitions. I shoot a Weatherby Fibermark, with 115 TSX's. Both of these rifles kill like lightning!
SEOregonPronghorn.jpg

Shorthair, dollar for dollar, the Tikka is hard to beat. Althought it's old, and maybe not so stylish, the old .270 Win is a good antelope rifle. It's killed more antelope then any other rifle in my family.

My wifes Tikka in .270 shoots great groups. Load it up with
140gr AB or BT (I prefer the AB)
about 57gr of H4831sc
CCI 200
in some Winchester brass, and you would be ready to go.

That being said, if money is not a consideration, the Kimber in 270 WSM would be really nice as well.

As for the fancy stock, well, fancy stocks are for target rifles, over the years, a true hunting rifle will get scratched.

Ultimately short hair, buy what you want. Changes are you already have something in the .243 win to .338/378 BEE range. I've seen antelope taken with every imaginable in that range, but in my mind the flat shooting .264-.284's are the sweet spot for taking antelope.

TBASTIAN

Nice goat. Congratulations to both you and your Dad.
I would have to agree with you on the 257 Wby for goats.

GermanShorthair,

If you consider the 257 Wby, Remington is offering one in the M700 LSS.

JD338

Back