ANTELOPE RIFLE ???

CLOVERLEAF....thanks for the pic of that fine antelope :!:
YOTESMOKER... I have 300RUM in REM 700 Sendero SFII,multiple .223's,220 swift Cooper,7mm Rem Mag. ect...
but i need another excuse to buy another rifle :lol:
TBASTIAN...Thanks for the photo as well and the advice :grin:

and to all i appreciate your reply as well as your thoughts and ideas :!:
I will make sure to let you guys know my decision,post range results,and hopefully a picture of my nice antelope :lol:

IF YOU GUYS WOULD LIKE I WILL SEND SOME PICTURES OF THE PHEASANT HUNT IN SOUTH DAKOTA ON THE WAY BACK FROM WYOMING...YES, I AM TAKING MY SHORTHAIRS WITH ME :grin: :grin: :grin:

GermanShorthair

Post those pictures of your pheasant hunt. We like pictures. :lol:

JD338

German Shorthair: The 300 RUM in Sendero is an awsome antelope rifle. It works especially well for the "spot and shoot" method 8)

GS- Im not sure how this thread migrated to a 300 RUM but it had to go there. The big .30 will put o whole in 'em....right JD. Not picking on you. Guy as far as the off road suspension on that w/chair...it was borrowed for the photo OP. Mine was in the truck. If you look closely you'll see my "off road gear" (crutches) on the ground next to the chair. Those Prickly pear can punch a hole in the air tires of any decent wheelchair...and they are harder to miss than the "pies" in the pasture. Lucky for me I didnt fall and land on my butt in a patch of pears. Love talkin about that hunt!! Will spend a couple days looking for turkey's (napping) next week. That would be fun too!! Good company, good times no matter what! CL

TBASTian- That is a beautiful goat and an even better pic with your Dad. My Dad was with me too! That IS "priceless".

PSS: excuse me...that was POP who knows about Big holes in goats! :lol:

Of the choices given my vote goes for the 270WSM.

However, I used a 7STW to take this guy @ the 1/4 mile marker.
7247Antelope.JPG
[/img]

First off, I'm no antelope hunter, never had a chance to really. I have hunted alot of WT deer, which isn't the same thing I know, growing up in Manitoba. Most of the deer were shot at off the roads by less than sporting hunters and became very skittish by 10 o'clock opening monday.

After growing up and moving to Alberta I've since gotten a 264 win among other longer range rifles based on the hunting I did where a 30-06 or 308 just didn't have the reach and a 270 win barely would go as far as I wanted too. Ironically, the shots here seldom break 300 yds in recent years.

I will say a 264 is STRICTLY a handloaders rifle as factory offerings are not much better than 270 win. handloaded this round is 75-150FPS slower than a 270WBY and you can form brass from 7mm rem not pay WBY brass prices.

Get what you want, I'd say get a 264, but I'm baised to it.

CC.

When I say a 308 didn't have the reach I meant with adaquate killing power. My dad has used one for years and taken deer as far out as 450 yds with it a few times.

I think for cost of reloading and the ability to kill goats or deer at 500 yards it is tough to beat a 25-06. This is a very popular caliber among many antelope hunters in the west. The weatherby is nice but do you gain enough over a 25-06 for added cost of reloading or factory ammo? Not in my opinion.

I load up 110 accu bonds with IMR 4350 and you can kill goats and deer out to 500 yards no problem with well places bullets. Goats aren't hard to bring down and are thinned skinned. I like to spot and stalk them it is a good way to hunt them. I get as close as I can then range and take the shot. The 25-06 is a good caliber and you can load it with 100-120 grain bullets and will kill cleanly.

I now use the savage 25-06 Tactical.

100 gr bt at 3400 fps.

Nice antelopes.
Calibers are like religion and politics. Too many choices. The best caliber is the one you just killed the prarie goat with and the worst is the one you just missed the prarie goat with. Pick almost any flat shooter and practice, practice, practice and you'll do fine.
Good Luck and post pictures.
Good Hunting
Antelope Hunt :grin:

I have a Remington 721 in .25-06 that really puts the smack-down on pigs, mule deer and antelope. I'm a big fan of the 110gr AccuBond. If I had to do it all over again, I may have opted for the Wheatherby, but I can not complain about the .25-06. I'd really take a good look into the Savage model 114 Classic. Not expensive at all, but a really great looking and functioning rifle. I just bought one in .300 Win Mag. Also, if you're really looking to customize something, look into CZ. My hunting buddy had done a lot of research on having a .458 Lott built. CZ was the only company that was willing to make these changes without charging and arm and a leg. Addditionally when the rifle arrived, it had a very nice stock on it (my buddy requested the lower grade) He called CZ and they said "we wanted to thank you for the business so we added the high grade stock at no charge". That's a pleasant suprize. Good luck.

Holy Crap, Pop! was there any meat left on that lope you shot with the 416? Biggest hole I ever did see.
WOW!

I just received my antelope tag in the mail. Will I use 243, 7 mag, or 30-06? Doesn't really matter, any one of them will do the job. Now I need to start knocking on a few doors.

Greg-
You hit the nail on the head! And since he fell to a 250 savage I have been addicted to goats and obsessed with the calibre!!!! OK- so I aint very smart. :) At least its faster flatter shooting than President Roosevelts favorite antelpe gun....the then new and always trusty 30-30! CL

Cloverleaf
The 250 Savage used to be "THE" antelope caliber when I was young and the 300 Savage was "THE" deer and elk caliber. Good Choice. :grin:
Good Hunting
Antelope Hunt :grin:

trays7940":k1kwfetk said:
Holy Crap, Pop! was there any meat left on that lope you shot with the 416? Biggest hole I ever did see.
WOW!

I do not eat lungs or ribs so I did not mind the hole! :p

POP":491ck2h5 said:
trays7940":491ck2h5 said:
WOW!

I do not eat lungs or ribs so I did not mind the hole! :p

HA!!!! HA!!!!! HA!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: 8)

Back