Any Difference in terminal performance 120 & 140 TTSX??

Yeah, I can't imagine a TTSX coming apart..That remark, and then resorting to belittling me for asking a reasonable question, and I din't bother to go back to check more replies..I finally just decided to find out for myself how they do. I read all the horror stories about how they just "ice pick" through and don't leave a blood trail, and many are avid supporters of them..It comes down to first hand knowledge and personal preference to make a decision that is right for you..But from what I've gathered here from experienced and knowledgeable folk, I have confidence that they will expand, penetrate fully causing massive damage, and exit leaving a good blood trail..I may be proven wrong, but at least I'll know for myself!

hunter24605":9st6yyug said:
I read all the horror stories about how they just "ice pick" through and don't leave a blood trail,

I've seen the "ice pick" result firsthand. I pulled one (an older X bullet) from the ball socket of a moose that could have been reloaded and sent down the pipe again! The hunter fired the shot at 450yds with an '06.

The culprit is insufficient impact velocity. The Barnes product is much improved since then with the TTSX, but the characteristic remains. If you plan on shooting longish ranges or have a standard velocity cartridge, there are much better choices.

The best solution is to drop bullet weight to up the speed and shoot only as far as you can get impact speeds over 2k fps.

hodgeman":11sqbg89 said:
hunter24605":11sqbg89 said:
I read all the horror stories about how they just "ice pick" through and don't leave a blood trail,

I've seen the "ice pick" result firsthand. I pulled one (an older X bullet) from the ball socket of a moose that could have been reloaded and sent down the pipe again! The hunter fired the shot at 450yds with an '06.

The culprit is insufficient impact velocity. The Barnes product is much improved since then with the TTSX, but the characteristic remains. If you plan on shooting longish ranges or have a standard velocity cartridge, there are much better choices.

The best solution is to drop bullet weight to up the speed and shoot only as far as you can get impact speeds over 2k fps.

Yeah, 90% of my shots will be at, or under 100 yards, the other 10% are not likely to exceed 200..The 120 TTSX leaving the muzzle of the 280 at 3200+

hunter24605":2lh7xp7j said:
[

Yeah, 90% of my shots will be at, or under 100 yards, the other 10% are not likely to exceed 200..The 120 TTSX leaving the muzzle of the 280 at 3200+

You'll have zero issues with the set up. Not fast enough to strip petals and plenty fast enough to get full expansion. That's certain to be a deadly combination.

I’m in the same boat as you are Hunter. The vast majority of Deer I shoot are from 25-200 yards. That’s why I decided to try them. Like was mentioned earlier I would be hesitant to use them for long range work. When I called Barnes I can’t remember if they said 1800 or 1900 fps as the minimum for exspansion, but I’d like to keep it over 2000 fps just to be safe as mentioned earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in the same boat as you are Hunter. The vast majority of Deer I shoot are from 25-200 yards. That’s why I decided to try them. Like was mentioned earlier I would be hesitant to use them for long range work. When I called Barnes I can’t remember if they said 1800 or 1900 fps as the minimum for exspansion, but I’d like to keep it over 2000 fps just to be safe as mentioned earlier.

It's really odd to me that someone would say that a Barnes TTSX would "explode".

The 2 gentleman I know that use them here, swear by them. They've never had any catastrophic failures like that. The bullets usually penetrate very well, and have stayed together ranging from short distance to 200 yds the out.

I suppose, like any other manufactured bullet, there could be some anomalies with some, but for the most part they stay together, and dig very deep.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

HAWKEYESATX":3pyzt54x said:
It's really odd to me that someone would say that a Barnes TTSX would "explode".

The 2 gentleman I know that use them here, swear by them. They've never had any catastrophic failures like that. The bullets usually penetrate very well, and have stayed together ranging from short distance to 200 yds the out.

I suppose, like any other manufactured bullet, there could be some anomalies with some, but for the most part they stay together, and dig very deep.

I think maybe he confused the TTSX with SST..That's the only logical assumption that I can make..I can see how it easy it would be for a person to get those two mixed up for a second.
:?

hunter24605":1ptdjf4j said:
HAWKEYESATX":1ptdjf4j said:

I think maybe he confused the TTSX with SST..That's the only logical assumption that I can make..I can see how it easy it would be for a person to get those two mixed up for a second.
:?
Very true[emoji115]

I like to go light for caliber and run them fast. Seem to work better for me that way.

And… I have never ever recovered a Barnes bullet.

I just blew a 140 TTSX through both shoulders of a bull elk.... via 18” 7/08. Muzzle velocity was only about 2600 fps (Federal Premium Factory Load), and the shot was 60 yards or so. The bullet literally shattered both scapulas, and did massive damage to both the aspiration and hydraulic systems. The bull went about 30 yards before piling up, blowing chunks of lung out his nose the whole way. I was MORE than impressed with the performance.

Songdog":1g08gqsv said:
I just blew a 140 TTSX through both shoulders of a bull elk.... via 18” 7/08. Muzzle velocity was only about 2600 fps (Federal Premium Factory Load), and the shot was 60 yards or so. The bullet literally shattered both scapulas, and did massive damage to both the aspiration and hydraulic systems. The bull went about 30 yards before piling up, blowing chunks of lung out his nose the whole way. I was MORE than impressed with the performance.
Sounds like bullet survived a very tough test to me! I only got about 17 more days before deer season and I get to try the 120’s out.

Songdog":11xkrzpt said:

(y) Good deal!

hunter24605":oiueah7s said:
Songdog":oiueah7s said:

(y) Good deal!
Well, finally put the 120 TTSX through a buck. He was working his way around the top of a very steep hill at about 175 yards..shot was uphill at about a 60 Deg angle and slightly quartering..bullet entered right shoulder and exited the left shoulder..the buck dropped instantly and rolled/tumbled about 80 yards down the hill stopping against a felled log and never twitched..resulting in a short 40 yard drag to the fence and drove the truck right up to the fence and loaded him...the bullet held together..cant speak to blood trail but left a nice blood puddle where he came to rest..All that flipping, rolling and tumbling made for more bloodshot meat than just a bullet wound...Top-Down: Exit, Entrance, Buck

Attachments

• 20171201_121938.png
    20171201_121938.png
    665.5 KB · Views: 720
  • 20171205_092441.jpg
    20171205_092441.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 720
  • 20171203_104803.jpg
    20171203_104803.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 720
Fine looking buck. Congratulations. Bullet performance appears to have done precisely what it should do.

Nice buck, I don't use copper bullets my self but loaded some 110g ttsx for my wifes 270 and at 3400fps they work very well and she has less recoil than using a 130bt.

I also tried out the 120 TTSX in my 6.5 CM last weekend. Shot was only about 40 yards. I really wanted to see how behind the shoulder lung shot would work instead of through the shoulders. At the shot she just humped up and a quick 30 yard dash and she was down very quickly. Even though I watched her fall, I really wanted to check to see how the blood trail looked. Blood trail was very easy to follow, and exit wound showed nice expansion. Oh and it was a very old doe that weighed around 150 lbs, so I’m very pleased with the TTSX performance. I only have the pics of after the hunt. Didn’t even think about pics of the entry and exit wound until after we dropped them off at the processor. The old doe is on the back rack and my brothers doe is on the front rack.
68960122d6e2cf75f40dfc797d80a939.jpg

Well that should help fill the freezer this winter :wink:.
Thank you for your post & photos.

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks! I think I’m gonna use the Barnes the rest of the season. Well when I’m not carrying the 9.3x62 anyways.

Back