Anyone have experience w/ hogdon superformance powder?

kraky

Handloader
Jan 21, 2006
Picked up a bottle on a whim at the gunshop today and got a little buyers remorse. Seems like there's only limited data and hogdon only publishes in cartridges that they deemed to have good performance.
Looks like I can burn it in my 243 and 06 but was hoping for alot more info.
Anyone got experience they can relate?

I have limited experience with it...tried one load with it in 30-06...didn't get good ignition using CCI BR2 primers.

I have read other stories where it worked better with magnum primers...gonna try that sometime and see.

...I tried it in the .300 & .325 WSM's when it came out, good accuracy & SD's in both, but the MV's were very disappointing compared to the data, where RL-17 was actually giving me better MV's in the same rifles...

I have used Superformance powder a lot with the 280 Remington. Hodgdon has some data for 120 and 140 grain loads and it is good data with the 140 grain bullets. I "wildcatted" the loads for 150gn bullets and it has worked very well --- around 2970 fps and excellent accuracy (less than an inch at 100 yards). The over the counter SF powder is on the same burning speed as RL-19, according to a technical representative I spoke with at Hodgdon's.

Hi Kraky,
I've used it in several loads. It meters well and performs best with light for caliber bullets. I have a load for a 243 that shot a 70gr BT at near 3700fps and kept it under moa past 300yds. I had a 300wsm that loved that powder and 150grNABs - shot out of a 24" barrel I was getting 3400FPS and good accuracy. I still have some and I might try it with my 7-08 and 120BTs.

Scott

Hey muleman...would you care to share that load on the 70 grainers...I have some here and they shoot pretty good in my 26" ruger varmiter. I see hogdon is calling for a Max of 51...it would give me a thermometer...sort of...as to where to start. All the responses are converting me from slight remorse to a little excitement...lol!

R miller...would you share too?

Understand the need to work up!

Kraky,
My load 51.6gr of Super, Win case, Win LR primer at an OAL of 2.760(.015 off the lands). Rifle - REM 700 24" custom barrel. This an over book load but safe in my rifle. Avg. speed 3708fps, SD 7.
My max charge was 52.8gr - beyond that I started to see flattened primers and a sticky bolt. I took it back down to 51.6; that was where I had the best accuracy.
Hornady's max load is 51gr at 59kpsi work up carefully.
Scott

Seems like it screams when it's used in the right application.

Checking out the newer version of QL, it seems to my eyes that RL17 is faster (FPS) wise than in the previous edition. Could be a different lot of powder, but it actually surpasses RL19 in some of my loads with the 338 Win Mag with the 200-225 bullets. I might just give it a try when I start load work on the 225 AB.

Superformance seems really cool, just never bought any. Leverevolution works REALLY well in my 30-30 and 35 Remington though. Not sure I can wear out cases running 170's at 2290 and 200's out around the same speed..

I see Hodgdon lists 44-48.7 for an 80 grain bullet.

I used 46.5 Superperformance with 85 Barnes TSX. Remington cases and federal 210M primers.

I have gotten a couple of lbs of SUPERFORMANCE - i am looking forward to loading some different cartridges with it and comparing FPS and Accuracy !
Might work well in the 240 WBee ? :) RJ

It works well for some medium bore calibers if you are shooting light for caliber bullets. There are better options for most applications from what I have used and others have said.

I have seen SP outperform other loads in a couple cartridges. Sometimes its WOW sometimes its meh.

I used it in a 300 WSM with a 53 tsx sabot. I hit my skyscreen but the reading was 5000 fps. I did not shoot any more to verify as I figured my next move would be to vaporize the chrony.

Ridgerunner665":20kekypg said:
I have limited experience with it...tried one load with it in 30-06...didn't get good ignition using CCI BR2 primers.

How did you determine you weren't getting good ignition?

muleman":3aj2gdr7 said:
Hi Kraky,
I have a load for a 243 that shot a 70gr BT at near 3700fps and kept it under moa past 300yds.
Scott

I only just got started trying it in 6mm Rem behind 70-gr TNT. I worked up to over 3850 fps (24-in barrel) but that was too hot, got a sticky bolt. Accuracy with no tuning was ~3/4 MOA, so very encouraging. (Primer: WLR, brass: Rem)

brians356":3h39va8r said:
muleman":3h39va8r said:
Hi Kraky,
I have a load for a 243 that shot a 70gr BT at near 3700fps and kept it under moa past 300yds.
Scott

I only just got started trying it in 6mm Rem behind 70-gr TNT. I worked up to over 3850 fps (24-in barrel) but that was too hot, got a sticky bolt. Accuracy with no tuning was ~3/4 MOA, so very encouraging. (Primer: WLR, brass: Rem)

Hey Scott i have a very GREAT shooting 6mm Rem M700 Classic - what grs of Super Powder are you using behind that 70 gr TNT bullet with out pressure overload ? Thks RJ

Rem Jim":hqqnyrru said:
brians356":hqqnyrru said:
muleman":hqqnyrru said:
Hi Kraky,
Scott

Hey Scott i have a very GREAT shooting 6mm Rem M700 Classic - what grs of Super Powder are you using behind that 70 gr TNT bullet with out pressure overload ? Thks RJ

RJ,
243Win load.
My load 51.6gr of Super, Win case, Win LR primer at an OAL of 2.760(.015 off the lands). Rifle - REM 700 24" custom barrel. This an over book load but safe in my rifle. Avg. speed 3708fps, SD 7.
My max charge was 52.8gr - beyond that I started to see flattened primers and a sticky bolt. I took it back down to 51.6; that was where I had the best accuracy.
Hornady's max load is 51gr at 59kpsi work up carefully.
Scott

Rem Jim":lw01ocae said:
brians356":lw01ocae said:

RJ,

You asked the wrong chap, Scott has the 243 Win.

I will have to reply later as I don't have my load data at the office. If I don't update here in a day or so, post here again to remind me (I have notification "on".)

However, I'm pretty sure I went a bit beyond the 54.0 grains Hodgdon lists as "max" before I had any overpressure signs.

Brian

Back