AR-10 loads for pigs

magothy1

Beginner
Mar 3, 2012
Anyone loading a DPMS .308 for pig hunting ? Seems like a Partition would be a good pig bullet. This rifle is uglier than it is accurate, and it's reasonably accurate with Federal Gold Match 168 gr HPBT ammo. Only a 16" barrel, but it looks like it will do an inch at 100, once I get over being ashamed to be seen with it 8) . I read or heard somewhere that IMR 4064, I think it was, is a good powder for the bolt gun loads, but I don't know anything about loading for one of these critters. I was told to resize every time around.

You'll be fine with book 308 loads. We interchanged our ammo between the bolt and gas guns without issues. As for a great pig load, I'd probably look at a 165 AccuBond or Ballistic Tip with a good load of 4064, Varget, RL15, etc. good luck and post up your results.

IMR 4064 or 4320 (will meter better through your measure) are your huckleberries. Varget is also great, but it's been a rare bird lately...too popular. Look to the 7.62 Nato section of Hornady manual for slightly milder loads that will put less wear on your rifle. "Book" .308 Winchester loads will also be safe, but you'll want to stick to 150-168 grain bullets and powders in the 4064 burn range.

For pigs, I'd look no further than the Speer hot cor or Hornady 150 interlock. The 150 Partition will also be fine, but more expensive. With the former 2, you can shoot the same bullet for inexpensive practice as you hunt with. I've been using the former 2 at .308-.300 Savage velocities on big Northwoods whitetail with excellent results for many years. They don't have any sexy plastic tip or boattail, they just shoot well and kill stuff.

4064 is probably the old gold standard for 168 grain match loads in the M1A, so it is a fine candidate for gas guns also.

Op-

I've loaded for a similar DPMS. The 2 MV handicaps of it being a gas gun and the short barrel can be overcome with shooting a lighter hunting bullet. The 125g Nosler BT does well.

125g NBT
~52.5g BL-C2
2.774" OAL
Full re-size every time.

Also, if the front is threaded, a Troy Claymore muzzle break/hider will save your ears and your friends if you are not shooting with a can.

I like 4064 in the 308 out of a 18" barrel , for the heavier bullets. Hunted with a 180BT & 4064 for many moons. Not so much for the lighter ones.

Unless your after 200# + pigs you won't need to go that heavy. Until pigs start to develop that shoulder shield they are no more difficult to drop than a whitetail.

Don't let the light grain weight of the 120AB dis-way you away it from some serious consideration. With a 16" barrel you can get plenty of velocity to make it expand, with more than enough energy to blast through the vitals.

Practice with BT's and switch to AB's for hunting......

There are multiple loads for both the Nosler 30 cal. 125's in MidwayUSA's comments on each. I set my OAL to ensure .308" of the bullet shank was in the neck of the case. Others may or may not have been that short so start lower on the powder amounts.

Back