At Last

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I've waited for quite a while for the 8X68S I ordered. When I stopped by the shop on Thursday, Greg had the completed rifle at his bench. It only lacked a bit of work. I assured him that because it is the Christmas season I'm sufficiently busy that I don't have time to do much with it. I was on my way to help a gentleman set up his loading bench that day, so I didn't wait around to pick it up. When I got home, the girls at the desk had phoned to tell me that the rifle was waiting for me. Well, as soon as I had opportunity today, I dropped in and picked it up. I have brass primed and on the bench (along with some new loads for the .358 Norma Magnum). I hope I can get time to at least make the loads this coming week. Today? Hey! Tomorrow is Sunday and tonight is my wife's office party. Children are coming home next week. I should be able to squeeze in some time for loading, however. Here is what the rifle looks like. It is a Model 70 action with a 26 inch PacNor ten twist pipe and topped with a Leica ER 3.5-14X42 ASV scope.

I'm very pleased with the aesthetics of this particular rifle. Before some asks, the finish is Ceracoat burnt bronze.

Man that is a fine looking piece there Mike! I love it. The metal work and the scope are just perfect. Those Leica's sure are crystal clear. Can't wait to see load work. Post a picture of the cartridge next to something we all know like a 30-06 or something so I can get a perspective on it. Is brass hard to find?

Good suggestion, David. Here you go. The cartridges shown are (left to right) a 30-06 Springfield with a 165 grain Hornady Interbond, a 325 WSM with a 200 grain Partition and an 8X68S with a 196 grain Oryx.

The case capacity of the 8X68S and the 325WSM are essentially identical.

Nice Doc. How come you did not go with the 8 Maggy?

So...the 8x68 is basically an unbelted 8mmRM?

Great looking build!

FOTIS":a7cu31mf said:
Nice Doc. How come you did not go with the 8 Maggy?

As with most builds, it started with an extra stock lying around. :? Then, I found a great buy on some 8X68S brass. :shock: Well, the rest is history. :mrgreen:

For the first time in many years I do not have an extra scope lying around. I'm feeling somewhat distressed and thinking that I should buy one, even knowing that it will precipitate another build. Maybe a 6.5X68 this time? :grin:

hodgeman":1okdzjjf said:
So...the 8x68 is basically an unbelted 8mmRM?

Great looking build!

Not really The same capacity of the 325 WSM so 200 gr at 2950 fps or so.

With my 8mm rem mags I have gotten 3080 fps with the 220 sierra.

Very awesome! Looks looks like a beautiful rifle.

Can't wait to see how it shoots.. Very cool Cartridge. Can't wait to see what it does on paper.

Nice rifle Doc. What made you go with the 8x68 vs. say another .30-06?

That is a beauty for sure!

One I have been contemplating is the .22-6mm Remington as a long range 'yote and chuck rifle.

I have also been wanting to build a .270. Too many projects too little money it seems!

Let us know how she shoots!

Dale

8mm mags are about 100grs of capacity versus high 80's for the 8x68 (a 6.5x68 is 86 in RWS brass).

Good looking bang stick Mike. It should lay the hammer to something this coming season.

Perhaps I'll draw a grizzly tag this spring. This would be a fine rifle for that purpose if I don't carry the 358 Norma Magnum (or the 9.3X64 Brenneke), which I built for that purpose.

Fotis is absolutely correct that the 8X68 is the ballistic twin of the 325WSM. Either slings lead at virtually identical velocity.

Dale, I wanted something different. When Scotty alerted me that Norma brass was available, that settled the matter for what cartridge to chamber. Forster dies were available, which made the decision that much easier.

I opted for a 26 inch barrel, knowing that I can always cut it down if necessary. Stretching is somewhat more difficult. The extra two inches are somewhat unwieldy, but the extra 50 fps should compensate the inconvenience somewhat.

I measured up for several loads. Hopefully, I'll be able to make up some loads on Monday. It looks as if I'm bringing a young man home from church tomorrow to build some 50 Alaskan loads. He's anxious to shoot the rifle his father left him, and I secured some brass and 535 grain Woodleigh bullets. Always another load to work up.

Doc, that's a right nice rifle no matter how you figure it! Whether is was a .219 Zipper or a .370 Sako Mag I would like it just as well!!!

What loads do you plan to try in it?

Dale

filmjunkie4ever":3vnjms1o said:
Doc, that's a right nice rifle no matter how you figure it! Whether is was a .219 Zipper or a .370 Sako Mag I would like it just as well!!!

What loads do you plan to try in it?

Dale

First loads planned are:

Norma 196 grain Oryx, charged with MRP

Woodleigh 196 grain SN, charged with MRP

Nosler 180 grain E-Tip, charged with MRP

Swift 200 grain A-Frame, charged with (yup!) MRP

I'm running 200 grain Partitions and 220 grain Game Kings in my 325 WSM, and either shoots exceptionally well. So, I wanted to try something a little different in this rifle.

Back