AZ Turkey

zacii

Beginner
Mar 5, 2015
First day of the fall turkey season, yesterday.

First day hunting turkey, ever for me. And the first day hunting the Kaibab.

Hung out most of the day within a few miles of Jacob's Lake. Since it was all new to me, and thick trees, I didn't venture too far from the many numbered roads.

My son and I hiked over ridges, down ravines, all over. Saw some tracks around some water holes. Heard a lot of gunshots before noon.

Afternoon, we headed off into a different area, following my brother on his ATV. He happened upon a flock near the road, and pursued them into the woods on foot. He got 4 shots off, and missed. I had to rib him a little for not patterning his gun before the hunt.

After missing the birds, which I never saw, he said they took off down this wooded draw. So, with my son and nephew, we started walking down the draw.

We were as quiet as a novice hunter with two 13 yr olds could be ;). I was startled by the turkeys, they saw me first and took off. I was surprised that a couple were in the trees watching. I was looking for birds on the ground and didn't see them in time.

They flew high and fast, and far. Across the draw and ran up and over a ridge, out of sight.

We hurried to the ridge, and approached the last little bit slowly to peek over. No turkeys. :(

This was about 2pm.

All things considered, a good first day. I at least saw some. They were too far and too fast for me to get a shot.

I can't make it out to hunt for the rest of the fall season, but I'm already thinking of next year.

Stinkin' turkeys outsmarted me. They aren't supposed to be experts at guerrilla warfare.

As a side note; those damn 3" turkey loads are stiff! Every bit as stout as my buddies 378 Bee, I think.

Any fall turkey hunters onboard?

Sent from the edge of my galaxy

It does sound like a fine first effort. No doubt you'll tag one next year.

Back